Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing

2 minutes ago, Pico said:

You would get much better results resin casting it.

Well, I would have to agree.  Even when ordering the finest finish from Shapeways, I found myself having to fill and sand several times to get a nice surface.

I don't really have an opinion of 3D printing or resin casting other then I will go where ever something is available.  I've gotten some horribly cast stuff before so to me it's a toss up on 3D printing vs resin casting.  In the end, it comes down to execution so a polished turd can look better then a lump of crappy gold.

Pat has good photography skills and a raw photogrammetry file can be edited.  It certainly is worth a try.  No cost involved.  If he came up with a good series of photos I'd be happy to load them into Meshroom and try 3D printing them. Result just might be something that could be cleaned up to make a silicone mold master from.

13 hours ago, Pico said:

Just got this in. The two gray wheels were printed by Model Builders Warehouse and are untouched - no sanding, no clear finish, no nothing. . The larger wire wheel is from Shapeways. It is painted with Molotow chrome, so you can see the surface detail, which is pretty good; but I gave it a light sanding with 1200 sandpaper to knock down the fuzz. The gray wheel's surface, on the other hand are shiny and almost blemish free. This is the best hobbyist 3d printing I have seen. Contact Randy Ditton - randy@modelbuilderswh@com.

DSCN8914.JPG

Thanks to Pico's mad 3D design work and the test shots from Model Builders Warehouse we're on our way to have a set of custom lip-laced wire wheels.  They're going on a not as flashy '29 Roadster Pickup (See Attached) -KK

5c7131da30003_29RoadsterPURevella.jpg.1bfd6eb9da259458392415f8c29e6fd3.jpg

Edited by Kit Karson

33 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Wow!

These look far better then what I've gotten from Shapeways.  That's crazy!

Go Randy@MBW!

Which ones did you get from Shapeways? ACME member Bilingham has some there that have printed wire wheel spokes that are very good. The spokes are .015" in diameter.

3 minutes ago, Pico said:

Which ones did you get from Shapeways? ACME member Bilingham has some there that have printed wire wheel spokes that are very good. The spokes are .015" in diameter.

Well, I didn't get any wheels per se but just general items.  For example V8 engines, mid engine transaxles, velocity stacks, intake manifolds etc...

In those cases, I chose there premium finish but have recently seen an even higher premium finish offered.

Not all items are offered in there highest finish though.

I've seen Mr. Billinghams wheels which look very good.

I would be tickled pink if some one offered a Porsche flat 8 engine.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, Pico said:

Just got this in. The two gray wheels were printed by Model Builders Warehouse and are untouched - no sanding, no clear finish, no nothing. . The larger wire wheel is from Shapeways. It is painted with Molotow chrome, so you can see the surface detail, which is pretty good; but I gave it a light sanding with 1200 sandpaper to knock down the fuzz. The gray wheel's surface, on the other hand are shiny and almost blemish free. This is the best hobbyist 3d printing I have seen. Contact Randy Ditton - randy@modelbuilderswh@com.

DSCN8914.JPG

The top two wheels are very, very nice, and the surface appears to be very smooth, which is ideal. I did not find them on MBW's website, and MBW appears to be a re-seller for products made by others. Maybe they have yet to add them? Pico, did you purchase theses wheels directly from MBW, and if so where on the website did you find them? The only products which come up after a search for "3D printed" are a few from Futurattraction.

Unfortunately, the bottom wheel has a wavy/undulating surface finish which is very visible.

Casey,  Those rims are a project that Pico designed for 'Kit Karson'.  Model Builders' Warehouse is the firm that these gentlemen choose to do the printing. They would not be for sale on our site as the design is the property of Pico. In this instance we will print x number of parts for 'KK' and charge him accordingly.

MBWH  is close to offering for sale our own 3D printed parts.  As you noted above the quality of printed parts is improving all time !

Randy 

6 minutes ago, Randy D said:

MBWH  is close to offering for sale our own 3D printed parts.  As you noted above the quality of printed parts is improving all time !

Thanks for the clarification, Randy. I'm looking forward to seeing what you offer in the future.

What are the specs on the printer, media, and resolution which were used to print the wheels Pico designed?

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, Pico said:

I posted these on another thread but they belong here.  They are the outside spoked wire wheels from Bilingham I bought from Shapeways.

100_1349.thumb.JPG.7c45e70559145cc8e362dd56335167b8.JPG

46 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

Pico, who printed the Duesenberg wires?  I searched on Shapeways and couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

PB.

I had the rims and hubs printed, then hand strung them. They are not in my shop because it's necessary to have a jig to hold them and require a lot of patience to string. However with the advent of relatively low cost printers that will make high resolution parts, I am refining my design skills to design spoked wheels (it's not easy) that can be printed. I use Sketchup , Bilingham uses Fusion360, which is a better Cad program. But I'm pretty good at SU.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:53 PM, Casey said:

Thanks for the clarification, Randy. I'm looking forward to seeing what you offer in the future.

Well, I'm simply going to wait for stuff from Randy (MBW) as his offerings are top notch and his customer service is properly excellent.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, Pico said:

I had the rims and hubs printed, then hand strung them. They are not in my shop because it's necessary to have a jig to hold them and require a lot of patience to string. However with the advent of relatively low cost printers that will make high resolution parts, I am refining my design skills to design spoked wheels (it's not easy) that can be printed. I use Sketchup , Bilingham uses Fusion360, which is a better Cad program. But I'm pretty good at SU.

OK.  Thanks.  Yeah, I've been stringing my own wires for years, which I really don't have the time and patience for anymore.  I am currently drafting wires for the Southeast Finecast Vauxhall kit in SketchUp.  I was initially just drafting the rims (and hubs) with "pre-drilled" holes to have printed (as I assume you did for your Duesenberg), but after seeing what Mr. Billingham has accomplished with his printed wires I've decided to take a shot at drafting and printing whole wire wheels as well.  My next project is for a set of wheels for two Monogram Duesenbergs waiting in the wings, then a set of solid disc wheels for the Monogram Packard and accurate wheels for the Heller Type 50 Bugatti.

And, yep, I'm fine using SketchUp.  It's the only 3D program I use these days after years of 3D Studio Max, VIZ, Maya, etc.  SketchUp has all of the basic architecture I need to model up parts, and with all of the extensions that are availble you can really take things pretty far.

Thanks for getting back to me.

PB.

54 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

OK.  Thanks.  Yeah, I've been stringing my own wires for years, which I really don't have the time and patience for anymore.  I am currently drafting wires for the Southeast Finecast Vauxhall kit in SketchUp.  I was initially just drafting the rims (and hubs) with "pre-drilled" holes to have printed (as I assume you did for your Duesenberg), but after seeing what Mr. Billingham has accomplished with his printed wires I've decided to take a shot at drafting and printing whole wire wheels as well.  My next project is for a set of wheels for two Monogram Duesenbergs waiting in the wings, then a set of solid disc wheels for the Monogram Packard and accurate wheels for the Heller Type 50 Bugatti.

And, yep, I'm fine using SketchUp.  It's the only 3D program I use these days after years of 3D Studio Max, VIZ, Maya, etc.  SketchUp has all of the basic architecture I need to model up parts, and with all of the extensions that are availble you can really take things pretty far.

Thanks for getting back to me.

PB.

I couldn't do what I do without SU's plugins, especially Solid Inspector 2, the stl importers and exporters and Bezier Curve.  I've been doing printed rims with predrilled holes for several years but it will be printed with spokes from now on. Modelmartin will be producing a Bug T50 Profile (fastback) body with correct wheels.

Since we've been discussing scanning, here is an example of a full scale scan that has been output as a model. I can't tell the scale or if it was cut out by cnc or 3d printed but I thought it may interest some of you guys. BTW, that stl file can be downloaded and printed; anyone for a 1973 Ranchero model? I have tried to do this at concours by taking lots of photos but the bright reflections ruined the production of the mesh. The light has to be broad and subdued, as on a cloudy day. Link: https://grabcad.com/library/ford-ranchero-73-3d-scan-1

Casey,  Apologies for not seeing your questions earlier.

Those smooth grey rims were printed with a Wanhao Duplicator 7.     20 micron layers using  3DSR's   ' ENG Tough '  resin.  The D7 is actually the lowest cost machine of all our printers but works great for some parts.

The following is an attempt to show what the  'finish'  looks like on the Borrani wire wheels.  I will start with the two machines used.  The Wanhao D7 printed the larger backs and the knockoffs. For the fine detail needed on the front portion of the rims we used the Titan DLP printer using the orange resin. 

IMG_8526.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG