Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing

Thank you.  I have a Photon that I haven't tried yet. The Mars looks like a clone from what I see in ads for it.  I'll be using ChiTuBox for slicing from the start, in a couple hours actually.

I want to compare it to the Solus DLP.

9 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Yeah Pete, I go there.  It was one of your posts and that forum that led me to buy the Photon. Do you print???

Not yet - I need to first get better at 3D CAD. It takes time (and I have lots of already started non-CAD projects).  I hope to do that someday and to get my own machine, but for now I can ask my Railwire friends to print my designs (when those are ready).

And you're right - I do remember posting a link to that Photon thread elsewhere in the forum.

Edited by peteski

• 3 years later...

Since Christmas of 2021, I've been experimenting with photogrammetry with the intent to scan in some of my 1/24 and 1/18th scale cars to use in my 3D renders and digital illustrations. I also tried modeling cars from scratch in 3D using Silo3D, Hexagon 3D and later Blender 3D and MOI3D. Modeling a car from scratch can be a lengthy process, so I decided to use photogrammetry. I have 7 dlsr cameras - 5 Nikons and 2 Olympus.

At first I tried Meshroom which is free but has a very confusing user interface and takes a long time to convert the 50+ photos into a 3D mesh.

So I decided to give the commercial apps a try. Reality3D, Metashape and 3DF Zephyr.

Reality3D is free but has a  per use fee which can be expensive. Metashape has a demo version and 3DF Zephyr has a free version limited to 50 photos.

I much prefered the user interface of Metashape and 3DF Zephyr over Meshroom or Reality 3D.

So i decided on 3DF Zephyr but found the 50 photo limit on the was too limiting. So I purchased it for just under $200 Canadian. 3DF Zephyr is an Italian product and Metashape is from Agisoft in Russia.

I can get acceptable models from toy buildings, animals, etc. But not from cars due the their shiny surfaces which ALL the photogrammetry software has issues. A recommendation from the various 3D scanning sites is to use a powder on the surface of the car or to repaint it in a matte color. Both I do not want to do with my diecasts as in the past I have broken parts removing dust and repainting is out of the question.

Using my Nikon D7000 and Nikon 50mm prime lens I took 142 photos of this Charger on a turntable (actually lazy susan I stole from the kitchen table) and 3DF Zephyr accepted 140 of the 142 photos. All shot in the camera RAW format and converted to jpg via Lightroom

Example of my photos I took.

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0887.jpg

But looks much worse in Blender when I disable the textures. I've ben told by the 3DF Zephyr crowd on their forum and also on discord, the bumps and holes are caused by light reflecting from the shiny surface.

I am no expert in photogrammetry, just a novice want to improve my skills. I do have 15 years experience working in 3D apps like Wings3D, Hexagon3D, Silo3D, e-onsoftware's Vue, DAZ Studio and now Blender and MOI3D.

Any feed back, opinions or tips would be much appreciated.

Blender04.JPG

Blender05.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/18/2022 at 5:35 PM, Kenmojr said:

But looks much worse in Blender when I disable the textures. I've ben told by the 3DF Zephyr crowd on their forum and also on discord, the bumps and holes are caused by light reflecting from the shiny surface.

I am no expert in photogrammetry, just a novice want to improve my skills. I do have 15 years experience working in 3D apps like Wings3D, Hexagon3D, Silo3D, e-onsoftware's Vue, DAZ Studio and now Blender and MOI3D.

Any feed back, opinions or tips would be much appreciated.

Blender04.JPG

Blender05.JPG

Here is a video that.ma6 help.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...