Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO International 4070B moving van

I changed my mind on the trailer. I'm saving the fresh kit that started this build for another truck. When I built the suspension, I mounted the axles below the springs instead of on top of the springs per the kit instructions. I realized my mistake and then the idea hit me. I had some 15 inch trailer wheels and tires made by Mo'Luminum, so, I modified the body of an ebay built-up I bought years ago. First, I completely cut out the trailer's wheel wells. The upside-down axles help to make up for the change in ride-height resulting from the change of wheels.

trailerwhellwells-vi.jpg

Scrap sheets of plastic were placed over the holes in the floor left by the wheel wells.

100_4672-vi.jpg

A paper template of the wheel arches on the side walls was drawn, and filler pieces were made from 2 broken side walls that I had in my spares box.

fillersectionandtemplate-vi.jpg

100_4678-vi.jpg

I cut the filler pieces to shape and ground the back sides thinner so they would cover the wheel arches.

Here is my filler piece installed.

100_4675-vi.jpg

Here it is mocked up with its new wheels

. 15inchwheels-vi.jpg

Edited by SpreadAxle

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get some time at the bench today. I'm trying an experiment to deal with Ertl's "way too wide" steer axle.

Here is a stock Ertl axle laying in place.

StockErtlsteeraxlemockup-vi.jpg

I took a GMC Astro steer axle that I had laying around and put it to use. It was already modified for "working steering" I slipped some brass tube into each end of the axle. Then, the 2 piece Ertl spindles were installed.

MCAstrosteeraxlemockupnowheels-vi.jpg

Here it is with wheels although they are not permanently attached.

GMCSteeraxlemockupwithwheels-vi.jpg

Steeraxlemockup-vi.jpg

Newsteeraxlemockupleft-vi.jpg

You can see this new axle definitely draws the wheels in. When I get this mounted permanently I'll be better able to let everyone know if this solution works.

Edited by SpreadAxle

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2 weeks ago, I was cleaning my hobby room and had an incident. I was moving my desk and bumped a shelf and it fell. It contained 3 trucks, and on the way down the tractor for this project was damaged. The 3 fallen trucks will now be "organ donors" on future builds. As for this one, I will come up with something.