Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge A 100 Pickup --- Off the Bench!

2014dodgea100-vi.jpg

With all the excitement prior to the 24 Hour Build I literally forgot to take photos and post a model I had completed the year before! This was my 24 Hour Build project for 2014, that I didn't complete. In this photo you can see when I packed it in at 6:14 am on Sunday. There were things I didn't like about it, and knew I didn't want to finish it that way. One of the things you may notice are the HUGE almost working hinges in this kit. I had already built a Jimmy Flintstone resin van and he had correct hinges. So I did glue the doors shut and add ones the right size made from Evergreen round.

IMG_1333-vi.jpg

For my Christmas Amnesty Project, I had made a commitment to myself to attack all those 80-90% finished models on my project shelf. I had completed the Model A TROG racer as my last build of 2018, and had moved right onto the Dodge D50 US Navy pickup as my first build for 2019. So this one is my second completion this year, and the 24 Hour Build Model A woody pickup is the THIRD. Me? With three completions in January? Unheard of! LOL

IMG_1335-vi.jpg

Paint is Testors One Coat Flaming Orange because I absolutely love the color. I had painted my '65 Barracuda a similar color back in 1978. The paint laid perfectly. I don't believe I even clear coated it. That is the stock position for the spare tire.

IMG_1337-vi.jpg

The kit doesn't have a stock gas filler so I drilled a hole and added one from my parts box. I think this one was from the AMT '53 Ford Pickup.

IMG_1338-vi.jpg

Of course I can complicate anything, so I got the bright idea of replacing the kit's stock exhaust with duals.

image.png.576f76c941fe9668047aa7d21f31b6c7.png

So I took two of the kit's stock mufflers (from two kits) and fabricated most everything else from pieces and parts of exhaust systems I keep in a shoe box for this purpose. The tail pipe ends are from the Revell Dart kits.  I drill out the parts and assemble it all with bits of straight pin. I fit it tight so I can adjust the parts on the car before finalizing with glue, same way you'd do before clamping on a 1:1 car.

IMG_1272-vi.jpg

I don't remember where I swiped the bucket seats from back in 2014. I did remember that I sprayed them with cheap spray paint that didn't dry during the 24 Hours! Now five years later, they are dry! I had to make seat bases for them to sit in the van. With no time constraints, I decided to add some seat belts. Model Car Garage buckles that I added depth to with Evergreen. And correct 1/16" ribbon for the belts. I bought a lifetime supply of seat belts on eBay (5 dif color rolls) for $10.

IMG_1336-vi.jpg

I made a custom plate for the occasion. The bumpers are the same color as the interior.

IMG_1339-vi.jpg

And here's the pair sitting together. Note how the hinges match now! I'm happy to have finished this one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Heh Tom...is it just me or have you been exceptionally productive with completing model projects these last few months?   Way to go....TIM 

It's me!  I finally buckled down and resolved to finish a lot of stuff that's been sitting at that 80--90% finished point.  There's more to come!

2 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

That's pretty cool. Is it hard to make a stock one? Is that the Little Red Wagon kit? Thanks. I like the pair of them. Good job.

Thanks Jeff. Yes, it's the Little Red Wagon kit.  It was designed to be either the drag car or a stock pickup.  It's missing a few details, like a gas filler on the left fender and the "Dodge" scripts on the doors.  Otherwise it's all there in the kit!   The van is a resin body sold by Jimmy Flintstone. It's only about $20 for the body and it fits onto the kit chassis.

• 3 weeks later...