Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '62 Corvette

NOBLNG

I picked this one up at the flea market last Sunday.  After reading some opinions on here about these AMT Corvettes, I decided to build it quick and not worry about getting too precise or detailed, since there is only so much you can do with a kit like this. I think the body is not too bad, except for the headlights. The chassis and engine are pretty horrible!:rolleyes:

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

As you pointed out there is a question as too some of the accuracy of the drive train and the interior, body, and most everything. But it can be a fun kit and remember this tooling was done over 50 years ago. So for the time this was about as good as it got. Just enjoy the build. 

Well, I have an older Revell 1960 Corvette that I dug out last night. I figured I would build both of them since they are similar and I can compare them as I go. The AMT is actually better than the Revell. The R- '60 has a six piece body, which fits together fairly well by the looks of it. The heads, manifold, distributor and coil are all cast as 1 piece, yet the inner door panels on the R-'60 are very nicely detailed. The AMT door panels just have a very faint impression of the window cranks and other hardware.

3 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Well, I have an older Revell 1960 Corvette that I dug out last night. I figured I would build both of them since they are similar and I can compare them as I go. The AMT is actually better than the Revell. The R- '60 has a six piece body, which fits together fairly well by the looks of it. The heads, manifold, distributor and coil are all cast as 1 piece, yet the inner door panels on the R-'60 are very nicely detailed. The AMT door panels just have a very faint impression of the window cranks and other hardware.

I have that one, and an AMT '59, and the "new" Revell '59, and the MPC '60. I'm planning to build them all and play "Who Wore It Better?" with them. B)

The headlights for this kit are horribly under-sized...and worse yet they are chrome! I have read some threads on here about Bondic and Laser-bond. I figured I would give casting some copies a try with the Bondic kit I bought yesterday. I just used silly putty for the mold. I think they turned out great for 30 seconds worth of work!

IMG_5932 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5938 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5939 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5947 - Copy.JPG

I managed to get a couple of coats of paint on the body. This is Testors extreme laquer, Graphite Dust. I like how this stuff sprays right out of the can. I did have the can sitting in the dehydrator with some parts, so it was nice and warm!:D

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

I made up a little plate to fasten the back of the transmission. Otherwise the only mounting point is the oil pan glued directly to a front crossmember and the engine did not want to sit level. I also had to raise the radiator so the fan would be more or less centred in the shroud.

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Looking very good.  Anxious to see how the headlights came out when mounted. 

Ok, here they are. I put a small circle of silver duct tape in behind the cast headlights, since there was a large hole that I think would have been visible through the lens. Then glued them in with MM clear parts cement.  Much better looking than the chrome ones I think.

IMG_6695.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

On 1/31/2019 at 8:47 PM, NOBLNG said:

The headlights for this kit are horribly under-sized...and worse yet they are chrome! I have read some threads on here about Bondic and Laser-bond. I figured I would give casting some copies a try with the Bondic kit I bought yesterday. I just used silly putty for the mold. I think they turned out great for 30 seconds worth of work!

IMG_5932 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5938 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5939 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5947 - Copy.JPG

The first thing that popped into my small little mind was front turn signal lensrs for 1971-2 Chevelle....!!

8 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Ok, here they are. I put a small circle of silver duct tape in behind the cast headlights, since there was a large hole that I think would have been visible through the lens. Then glued them in with MM clear parts cement.  Much better looking than the chrome ones I think.

IMG_6695.JPG

Thank for posting the headlamps.  Such a great improvement that I ordered a Bondic kit.

The chrome on the front bumper and grill in this kit are terrible. Plus there are huge sink marks on the topside of the bumper. The bumper also requires a fair bit of sanding to fit properly, so stripping it was a no-brainer.:( After cleaning it up, filling the sinks and re-shaping the ends a bit, I will spray it with Krylon chrome. It may not be as nice as Alclad or Molotow, but good enough for this kit! The grill fits OK, but the chrome on it is poor also, so I've stripped it too.

IMG_6834.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG