Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2019 Dodge W500

My entry is going to be a 1958 Dodge W500 fire engine used by the US Forest Service.

The truck on the far left is what I'm going for, although that is a '59 which has a different grill.

3-1960s-Dodges-BDF.jpg

I will be starting with a resin cab from SELtd and most of the rest will have to be kit bashed or scratchbuilt.

SELtd-58-Dodge-kit.jpg

SeLtd1.jpg

SeLtd2.jpg

3 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Now that is cool. However I would be so distracted by the 1:1 that the 1:25 would never get done. Good luck on this, I look forward to seeing it progress.

That is a very real concern particularly later on when the weather is nicer.

Aaron:  Isn't the middle truck in your first photo a '59?  Just checking out some images suggest it is.  The resin casting you have is the same as what I had and it says it is a '58.  

A tip on adding the raised "POWER WAGON" lettering on the sides of the fenders.  Glue on a small piece of strip plastic the length and height of the photoetch letters that you have.  Don't worry about trying to follow the letters but only keep the strip stock real close.  After painting use some two part epoxy to secure the photo etch letters in position.B)

The middle and left trucks in the first photo are 59s. 58, 59 and 60 each have different grills. The one of the left is a 4x4 W500, the center one a 2wd D500. I need to check the kit and see which grill it has. or if it offers multiple grills allowing a 58-60 to be built. It shouldn't be too hard to make the correct grill if it only has the '59 grill, '58 is the least complex of the 3 years.

Are you saying you glued the PE to a strip of plastic and them glued the strip with the letters to the fender or did you just tack the letters onto the strip to hold them in place and then removed the strip from the letters once the epoxy set?

1 hour ago, Aaronw said:

The middle and left trucks in the first photo are 59s. 58, 59 and 60 each have different grills. The one of the left is a 4x4 W500, the center one a 2wd D500. I need to check the kit and see which grill it has. or if it offers multiple grills allowing a 58-60 to be built. It shouldn't be too hard to make the correct grill if it only has the '59 grill, '58 is the least complex of the 3 years.

Are you saying you glued the PE to a strip of plastic and them glued the strip with the letters to the fender or did you just tack the letters onto the strip to hold them in place and then removed the strip from the letters once the epoxy set?

I glued a small strip of plastic to the hood side of the original master for the cab.  The strip essentially "raised" the photoetch above the sides of the hood just a little.  Then I glued the photoetch directly to the plastic strip permanently.  Here is a photo that shows it a little better.  This is on the 1966 W300  casting with the raised letters on the strip.   024.thumb.jpg.b8f148008c05e14bbc8be5302ba1a279.jpgI covered it with BMF before painting.  Then rubbed off the red paint leaving the raised lettering.

16 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Good looking truck. How do you like the resin from scale equipment?

I think this is the only thing I've bought from them and I've had this kit at least 12 years so don't know how it compares to their current line. Luckily I could never commit to a project for it as it doesn't appear to be available anymore.

It is a well cast piece, a little thick in a few spots, but not bad and very few casting flaws. Lots of detail pieces and options including many photo etch badges. It includes name badges for Fargo and Desoto in addition to Dodge.   

On 2/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

I glued a small strip of plastic to the hood side of the original master for the cab.  The strip essentially "raised" the photoetch above the sides of the hood just a little.  Then I glued the photoetch directly to the plastic strip permanently.  Here is a photo that shows it a little better.  This is on the 1966 W300  casting with the raised letters on the strip.   I covered it with BMF before painting.  Then rubbed off the red paint leaving the raised lettering.

That makes sense and cut tight to the lettering I imagine a very thin sheet doesn't show at all once painted.

• 1 month later...

March update, sadly no progress to show although there was finally a break in the weather long enough to let things dry out so I could crawl around under the truck and sketch out the frame. This has been one of our wettest winters in years. We can use it, but it has certainly hindered my progress on any outside activities which includes necessary measurements to get going on this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron:  I have a Dodge Body Builders Book for 1970 that has a lot of info on frames etc.  If that would help I can copy off the W500 frame and send it to you.  Will save a lot of work because it has all of the dimensions, location of cross members and the like.  Probably not a lot of difference from 1959 to '70.  The W500 frame I did for mine I made from plastic strip stock.  Came out fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...