Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holden Monaro

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

While surfing the web I came across an Aussie site that featured one of these. I think this is a really beautiful looking car.  Anybody have any experience with them?

Holden Monaro 1.jpg

Holden Monaro 2.jpg

Holden Monaro 3.jpg

pro357.jpg

These are pictures of an earlier model Monaro. Look at the '04 thru '07 Pontiac GTO's. They are little more than a face lifted Monaro. I got an '05 GTO with the 6-speed manual in June of '05 as a retirement gift from my wife. That car with the LS2 engine and fully independent suspension reminded me of when I had a full head of hair and a skinny waist as to opposed to now.  They are very well engineered cars and the handling is amazing. 

Hi guys,

Glad you love our Aussie icons!  Yep, even as a Ford guy, I think the HQ coupe was the prettiest car we ever made.  There are hundreds of show cars and street machines built from these and though their older brothers , the HK, HT and HG get more dollars, they are still a very desirable car.  There was a facelift with the HJ, HX and HZ models but they looked like a Monte Carlo and frankly, were square pegs in round holes, or blunt square noses on a sexy flowing body.  Those later models did have upgraded front ends that made them handle much better than the HQ - I once owned an HQ ute and I never understood how a woman could have parked one - the non-powered steering was heavy as a truck! The HX and HZ front subframe (think Camaro) is a popular bolt on swap into an HQ.

Fun Fact - every HQ,J,X,Z Monaro coupe came with a tinted band rear window - why?  Because they pinched them off  early seventies Chevy Caprice - for a low volume market like Australia it was a cost cutting exercise using the GM parts catalogue.

And TomZ, if I can speak on behalf of Jason and Michelle who are great friends of mine and run TPB to support themselves and two boys, can I discretely say that the lack of identification on some of their parts reflects the need to avoid spending huge dollars of their income on heavy licensing fees - get my drift?  A little google searching will reveal what their parts are for.  An unfortunate fact of the modern business world.  Not much help to an American but every Aussie car guy knows exactly what a "red motor" is, it only refers to one make and generation of Australian engine and easily the most popular of all time.  it was in production for at least 30 years that I can think of.  "Red Engine" is their way of not treading on toes yet telling Aussie modellers, at least, what it is.  Again, Google is your friend

Cheers

Alan