Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 68 Chevelle

Kmb0319

19 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

That trim around the seat is nowhere to be found, and it makes a difference in all the black.

Actually the trim is there, but nearly invisible. I was thinking of taking some very thin wire and make the trim around the seat... it needs it. I also noticed Revell missed the SS396 badge in the center of the door panel.

Hmmm.... that’s a great idea.  I don’t know if I have or can find wire that is the right size and flexibility, but I’ll look into it now.

Still progressing... I have finished my engine.  This one is nicely done...  it has the alternator bracket (and the alternator isn’t chrome... YES!!!), everything goes together perfectly, and it comes with the decal for the oil filter, so it passes all of my Revell tests.  I added spark plug wires, a few hoses and a throttle cable for realism.  One tiny nitpick with the engine is that the little hose/tube that runs from the front of the intake manifold to the water pump (bypass hose, I believe) isn’t molded in, and I’ve had it on a couple Revell kits.  But, I added it myself.

Tomorrow I’d like to assemble the suspension and get the frame together... it’s been a really enjoyable build, and we are starting into the home stretch.5FD40508-8F6C-4108-BB0A-1D2FF00B8743.thumb.jpeg.186856ae5daf4eb71efd240c06ab50d0.jpeg

On 2/6/2019 at 10:38 AM, Kmb0319 said:

I’m OK with that inaccuracy.  WL tires are a must for me with muscle cars.  The car is all original except for a tire upgrade, like it’s a restoration rather than a brand new car.  I think these are the size tires, but I’ll look at a couple other options for rears.  Then I will most likely either remove the pad printed lettering and get some tire decals that stand out more or get a newer set of the L Polyglas GTs, as these are pretty faded.

It's just a "Day 2" kinda car!!

OK, a little more progress today.  My chassis is pretty much done.  Wheels are just setting on for the moment.  I did attach the radiator after this pic.

7422CD50-61BF-4774-843F-B287CCC06215.thumb.jpeg.3a14473098727115750bf2dbdc9e8d57.jpeg

Then I worked on my rear bumper..  sprayed a little of the body color into the cap of the spray can, and used a detail brush to fill in the recessed panel in between the taillight panel and the bumper.  I already hit the taillight panel with dull coat, but looking at reference pictures, it seemed that the taillight trim had the tiny gaps between the chrome ribs filled in black, but the trim across the trunk didn’t.  I used a little black wash and did that.  Sorry for the bad pic... it’s really hard to see.

EC048036-F11F-45B3-B38F-526DD4D19C80.thumb.jpeg.a8f38d62c93db0c20743ceee294ddc13.jpeg

Finally, I took the rest of the black wash and filled in panel lines.  

I have a few other little details I’ll mess with over the weekend... the battery, painting the washer bottle.... and this week I’ll start clear coating the body and move into final stages..  

90CDE65A-F472-4ADB-83B8-3A1CC4FAFCAB.thumb.jpeg.d0f50c17703f3d678fb26fd7a6fc9a52.jpeg

This is starting to come together.  Over the last two days, I got the body clear coated.  I haven’t polished yet, but that will happen later today.  

I got the seat trim figured out.  I was going to buy some wire, and I also had some .07 styrene strips that I could possibly use, but the curves and bends are pretty complex; I was worried about anything being able to adhere all the way around the seat.  Working with the styrene, it cracked and broke twice.  I didn’t want to end up with glue all over the seats and still not have the trim on, so in the end, I just did the trim freehand with my 1 mm Molotow pen, doing a little section at a time.  It’s not perfect, but it’s there, at least.

I got my battery painted and wired, and finally joined the frame to the underbody.  I finished my engine compartment detailing, including making heater hoses and running a wire from the washer bottle to the wiper motor. 

I also installed lights, emblems and the rear black panel decals, attached the license plate frames and found some Missouri plates to put on, as I’m in St. Louis.

What’s left?  After polishing, painting body details, installing the glass and dome light, and final assembly.  It’s fitting together perfectly so far, and has been a blast.  I did order the bare rally wheels... have to wait for them to arrive to finish up, but I’m loving this kit.

Progress pics:

Seat trim

94080348-8908-4742-AE97-0957F934D6ED.thumb.jpeg.2d650010d0539fe3c831dedfe0cfd72e.jpeg

Rear bumper

BB702357-8F97-45A8-B6D5-4D6D7BEDDE6D.thumb.jpeg.8a6cd7a3fd1019add1dcf00ef25514a9.jpeg

Cleared body 

ADFC0665-3FBC-4F91-B029-886F01544C69.thumb.jpeg.bda069b32e9936efbe40482f75d01ff4.jpeg

Engine compartment 

50C1D90C-C51B-4555-808E-85CD7E177E31.thumb.jpeg.e7dd233df76379b90c4b88ee38c86d20.jpeg

Getting really close now... I’ll get the rest done and then wait for the wheels to show up.  

On 2/16/2019 at 2:09 AM, Kmb0319 said:

Tomorrow I’d like to assemble the suspension and get the frame together... it’s been a really enjoyable build, and we are starting into the home stretch.5FD40508-8F6C-4108-BB0A-1D2FF00B8743.thumb.jpeg.186856ae5daf4eb71efd240c06ab50d0.jpeg

Test the ride hight. Mine sat a little low in the rear.

Edited by Superbird McMonte

1 hour ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Test the ride hight. Mine sat a little low in the rear.

I will.  I noticed one error to correct last night.  The frame didn’t snap into the underside at the left front, so a test fitting had the frame hanging well below the body.  No big deal, but I used crazy glue to lock it in place... it won’t be fun or easy to break it apart and then get it to sink back down on the redo.

Made more progress today... got the body polished and waxed.  I used some old Testors carpet material and laid it in the hood insulation spots, a detail no one will ever see.

A0F486C6-2BD6-4426-8F1A-51D1C0A48567.thumb.jpeg.4d5733cfbefa9a942c980482a9f9403f.jpeg

I also got my frame reset into the groove it was supposed to be in.  With that fixed, I wanted to test my stance.  I’m happy with it.  It definitely looks better to me with the L Goodyears.  I usually like to the Fs in front and Ls in the back, but I put the Fs on the front and they looked so small on this car.  The Ls fill the wheel well nicely and don’t overwhelm anything.  I’ll check again when I have everything together, but I think this is the way I’ll go.  Also note how different the blue looks in different light.

24057A38-5E97-4E61-B83D-CE5B1C1C8620.thumb.jpeg.a6162c3610d6803e37ca4cfd4580d621.jpeg

0D4C1808-3008-478A-94AE-132D9D38CCF5.thumb.jpeg.17a54bc5210e10343e68b56b27f7a30c.jpeg

And one with the hood on:

451F311A-D12D-416A-8992-C9D7134D64C8.thumb.jpeg.c05cfcdaaf8ea35aea39921de96b938a.jpeg

I painted the base of the windshield/firewall this afternoon, and got the front and rear windshield trine chromed.  Once I finish the trim around the quarter windows, I will install the glass, mirrors, door handles, do the chrome body trim and final decals.  The last thing I’ll do after everything else is done will be the side window trim so I have a place to handle the body while I’m still working.

From this mock-up, I’m really happy with how this thing will look when finished.

Nice thread.   I've started mine and still haven't decided on the body color.   As much as I love a medium blue, I have a LOT of cars that color.  too many.   So the turquoise or light green metallic may be in order.  Or even a very light blue metallic.  I did look at color chips on internet and I think those were available.   I have stopped by the auto zone and wasn't really impressed with any of the offerings there, especially for $10 per can.  Ouch.  Haven't tried the Advance store yet to see if they have anything better.   I don't think I have anything at home I would use though.  And it could come down to a year 5 car with a repaint color?  Idk.  Just needs to stand out on the shelf when done.  68 and 9 are my favorite Chevelles and among my favorite cars of all time.

And yes, I'll have black at bottom and use stripes.  Interior color is still up in the air as well.  Not completely sold on the wheels in the kit, but we'll see if that goes anywhere different.  

As for seat trim, without having it in front of me, I can't say.  BUT on something i did not too long ago, I think I painted the halves before joining them.   And then before gluing together, I went around the edge on the lower piece where the trim goes with a silver sharpie.  (Foil gets too fine - doesn't always stay stuck especially for ham-handed modelers like me) THEN glue together.  Maybe that will work on this one.  I think so because I would have glued the seat halves together already if not and I have not done that.  I believe that to be my plan.  

Great thread - enjoying the comments and watching the build.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Nice thread.   I've started mine and still haven't decided on the body color.   As much as I love a medium blue, I have a LOT of cars that color.  too many.   So the turquoise or light green metallic may be in order.  Or even a very light blue metallic.  I did look at color chips on internet and I think those were available.   I have stopped by the auto zone and wasn't really impressed with any of the offerings there, especially for $10 per can.  Ouch.  Haven't tried the Advance store yet to see if they have anything better.   I don't think I have anything at home I would use though.  And it could come down to a year 5 car with a repaint color?  Idk.  Just needs to stand out on the shelf when done.  68 and 9 are my favorite Chevelles and among my favorite cars of all time.

And yes, I'll have black at bottom and use stripes.  Interior color is still up in the air as well.  Not completely sold on the wheels in the kit, but we'll see if that goes anywhere different.  

As for seat trim, without having it in front of me, I can't say.  BUT on something i did not too long ago, I think I painted the halves before joining them.   And then before gluing together, I went around the edge on the lower piece where the trim goes with a silver sharpie.  (Foil gets too fine - doesn't always stay stuck especially for ham-handed modelers like me) THEN glue together.  Maybe that will work on this one.  I think so because I would have glued the seat halves together already if not and I have not done that.  I believe that to be my plan.  

Great thread - enjoying the comments and watching the build.  

Hopefully you’ll do a thread on yours when you build it!  I seem to have a lot of blue, as well... blues and greens are my favorite.  But I had laid off of blue for a while, and this one called for it.  The funny thing is as much as the “ultimate” finish is a clean black car, but I only have 3 black models in my collection.  Partially because it’s harder to get it to really look right, but partially because in small scale like this, it can obscure small details.  But I’ll need to add another black vehicle to the shelf soon.

The kit wheels are terrible.  They are the wheels from the 69 Nova SS... smaller diameter, very shallow, and the slots are poorly done.  I like that they’re open, but they’re far too square and a little too large, so they don’t look accurate.  I’ve got some leftovers from a 69 Camaro kit on in in the pictures throughout this thread, and have ordered some bare rallies off of EBay that will most likely be on the finished model.

Funny, that’s exactly what I ended up doing with the seats.  I used the Molotow marker on the inside edge of the back half of the seat, wrapping it just around that edge as I went.  

Tamiya makes a Pearl Green that is a pretty good match for Grecian Green, a 68 color.  Any turquoise will look great and be period if not factory correct.  The 60s cars were all about light metallic and rich jewel tone colors.  

Good luck with your kit!

OK... interior is done..... 

828FEAED-DC0C-4A9E-87F2-D0F698438A33.thumb.jpeg.bf641cba4db651873913d5c5ee05e262.jpeg

I installed the glass and visors this morning, did the chrome trim on the body, and put the last few decals on.  

This afternoon I joined the body and chassis, and got the door handles, militaries, exhaust tips and the rear bumper on.  

Later I’ll get the front radiator assembly attached to the body ( helps the stance) and put the front end on.  

BBE566C0-4A4F-4A85-8728-81AC67B8765B.thumb.jpeg.84cddd1c2a056870134f66a21e34cafe.jpeg

32BB5007-EFA8-4990-A486-7B1A4F91610F.thumb.jpeg.4ffdc239f1669abdd252bab3a247fcf0.jpeg

Finally, I check the mail a few minutes ago, and look what arrived!  

E36AF3B5-0DB3-43A3-A1CA-3A9D55F921B4.thumb.jpeg.7d1682778e7835d188259f0e5d24caff.jpeg

So this will be wrapping up quickly from here.

22 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

Hopefully you’ll do a thread on yours when you build it!  I seem to have a lot of blue, as well... blues and greens are my favorite.  But I had laid off of blue for a while, and this one called for it.  The funny thing is as much as the “ultimate” finish is a clean black car, but I only have 3 black models in my collection.  Partially because it’s harder to get it to really look right, but partially because in small scale like this, it can obscure small details.  But I’ll need to add another black vehicle to the shelf soon.

The kit wheels are terrible.  They are the wheels from the 69 Nova SS... smaller diameter, very shallow, and the slots are poorly done.  I like that they’re open, but they’re far too square and a little too large, so they don’t look accurate.  I’ve got some leftovers from a 69 Camaro kit on in in the pictures throughout this thread, and have ordered some bare rallies off of EBay that will most likely be on the finished model.

Funny, that’s exactly what I ended up doing with the seats.  I used the Molotow marker on the inside edge of the back half of the seat, wrapping it just around that edge as I went.  

Tamiya makes a Pearl Green that is a pretty good match for Grecian Green, a 68 color.  Any turquoise will look great and be period if not factory correct.  The 60s cars were all about light metallic and rich jewel tone colors.  

Good luck with your kit!

Yours is looking great!

I always forget to take progress shots as I build, making it tough to do a write up.  I don't do black cars.  I have a few, but as a rule I don't do or buy black cars.   They don't show up well in my display at the top of the wall on a shelf around living room.   Black cars need to be well lit and below eye level I think.  

I found a couple cans of Testors in my junk last night.  bug yellow and lime gold.  Have to do a test and see what they look like.   If I use the yellow, it needs to look like butternut, not Daytona yellow - might need white added to get to the butternut color.   I have a 69 diecast that is Daytona yellow.   the lime gold may be a reasonable 68ish color.   If I go with lime gold, interior may be painted with it as well and dull coat it to  make it look like vinyl.   I have never used either of these colors and the cans are sealed so I have no idea what they will look like til I get some painting weather.  but either of those would work well in my collection.  

A good page:  http://chevellestuff.net/1968/chevelle/gallery/index.htm

After seeing the WHITE one, THAT may be my car.   I built a 69 years ago that was white with red below the belt.  It was one of my favorites but it was built a long time ago before I had the skills I do now.   So that white with red stripes may be it.

And then a 69 when it comes out.   

Edited by randyc

2 hours ago, randyc said:

Yours is looking great!

I always forget to take progress shots as I build, making it tough to do a write up.  I don't do black cars.  I have a few, but as a rule I don't do or buy black cars.   They don't show up well in my display at the top of the wall on a shelf around living room.   Black cars need to be well lit and below eye level I think.  

I found a couple cans of Testors in my junk last night.  bug yellow and lime gold.  Have to do a test and see what they look like.   If I use the yellow, it needs to look like butternut, not Daytona yellow - might need white added to get to the butternut color.   I have a 69 diecast that is Daytona yellow.   the lime gold may be a reasonable 68ish color.   If I go with lime gold, interior may be painted with it as well and dull coat it to  make it look like vinyl.   I have never used either of these colors and the cans are sealed so I have no idea what they will look like til I get some painting weather.  but either of those would work well in my collection.  

A good page:  http://chevellestuff.net/1968/chevelle/gallery/index.htm

After seeing the WHITE one, THAT may be my car.   I built a 69 years ago that was white with red below the belt.  It was one of my favorites but it was built a long time ago before I had the skills I do now.   So that white with red stripes may be it.

And then a 69 when it comes out.   

Testor Lime Gold enamel is a very flaky metalflake, and looks nothing like any factory '60s color I've ever seen. Good color for customs, though. 

Great build. My Dad bought a 68 SS 396/325 . His first new car. It was probably about as stock as one could come. The only option he ordered was an automatic tranny. In was Forrest Green which is a very dark metallic green. I believe I read somewhere the dark color cars did not have the black below the chrome stripe. It did have disc brakes at least on the front. Had that little circle on the brake pedal. Also had regular wheel covers. I've only seen one photo add with these. One of the strangest things about the car was it had 2ply Uniroyal Tiger paw tires. Keep up the good work.

Well, she’s done except for finishing the chrome trim along the sides of the roof, as that’s where I handle the body.  These wheel backs are too small to hold these Polyglas tires.  I already used spare wheelbacks in the front tires and glued them to the kit wheelbacks, to get my front tires lowered a little and pushed out slightly, as they were way inside the fenders.  The rears are barely hanging on, mostly because they’re pinched in by the top of the fender.  I might sift through the parts box and see if I can find something that fits the tires to hold them in place more firmly, but that would be the only other thing to do.

I’ll post it Under Glass as soon as I can get some decent outside shots, but here’s a couple before the trim is done.  I love the bare rallys on this car.  With the black lower body, the bare rallies give it a little menace.

59412E21-407A-44FC-97BC-847B6ADA555C.thumb.jpeg.1ff166fdddb3569c51ceae1457ad9517.jpeg

28F517A1-DF7A-4EF9-8E16-627836158E0D.thumb.jpeg.481690f950b4f8ded922f50571e14f63.jpeg

4C5CBBE3-7852-4FFC-A56A-97D7B5739B72.thumb.jpeg.82d17013b0f3e1ef1e473d1bc70cb840.jpeg

This build was an absolute blast.  Thanks everyone for following along.

Small change as of last night... playing around with different wheel backs in my spares box, I found ones that worked perfectly with the F Goodyear Polyglas up front, so when it goes under glass, it will have Fs up front and a little better stance.