Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raised details, like trim and badges

Hi all,

Since I consider this forum as one large think tank, and that some guys here have connections with model and aftermarket companies, I'm throwing the following into the group.

Raised details and badge decals, similar to what Archer's does with rivets or welding beads....

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88059.html

Possible or not, cost?

Thanks

Luc

I have not seen these before.  I do some custom casting work for a guy that has mentioned mylar decals.  They are raised like a photo etch part.  I think they would take special equipment and be pricy but could be very nicely detailed too.  If you want to make your own decals that can be white, silver or two different gold colors search decal pro FX dry transfers.

https://decalprofx.com/

I have applied the image to waterslide decal paper and sealed them, then use as usual.  There are a lot of steps and a learning curve.  Unless you have a alps printer, this might be your only hope.  The kit is pretty cheap.  Be certain to buy the toner image applicator too.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/

You might ask Chief Joseph to make scripts for you too.  This is probably what you are wanting for your special model builds.

Edited by Greg Wann

The chrome sticky stuff they make fingernail masks with would be perfect for badges and pretty close to scale for thickness. Some of them have a surprising amount of detail so heving badges cut out of them shouldn't be too difficult for the manufacturers to do. The stuff is more pliable than the trim included with the tamiya mk2 jags and sticks pretty well

Certainly possible. Japanese companies have included self-adhesive metal transfers in kits for years.  This Hasegawa Mazda Cosmo was first released in 1994 (according to the decal sheet).  In the pic below, the M-A-Z-D-A letters across the rear end are 5 (tiny!) metal transfers. Hasegawa also provided the even smaller trunk lock, a "Cosmo" badge for the nose and the Mazda emblem for the hood.

I'm working on that kit right now and put the metal transfers on yesterday.  They are self-adhesive but I don't trust that adhesive. I put a very small drop of Tamiya Clear paint under and over each transfer to lock them down. (Pic is stolen from the internet and not my build.)

102_6617.jpg

I'm sure its possible and I'd gladly pay a little extra. I used to buy self adhesive scripts and logos for a number of the European cars from Strada (boy I sure miss them) but no one seems to make them. They would be great for chrome name plates that appeared on most American cars in the past. The molded in plastic ones always seem to get lost under the paint we apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I don't know why all model cars don't include those dry transfer scripts like Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, etc. does. Makes the paint easier to polish and they have a scale thickness to them. I guess it's only because of cost. If an aftermarket company could make them available, wow that'd be so cool!

Why not? because it adds cost to the model.  At least that's what I think.

About 15 years ago there was a new company in US which offered those scripts. They did Chrystler and few others, and they were going to expand the line, but they disappeared. I think one of the owners was Mark Palacz (not sure about the name).

There is a Chinese eBay seller who has hundreds of metal logos stickers (and many waterslide decals), but unfortunately the great majority is way too large to be useful on anything other than 1:18 scale and larger!

https://www.ebay.com/usr/globaltoy

Several years ago, there were chrome mylar transfers for several popular model kits, much like the ones included in several Tamiya kits. Last year, I purchased a set for my Tamiya Mercedes 300SL. There were some chrome decals available, 2008_0517may2008mamameeting0026.jpg

which I used on this 58 Chevy Biscayne, which were made by Vintage Racing Miniatures for Corvettes. They were quite nice, and may still be available from him.