Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aardvark Maserati Tipo 61

FabbricaP

Hi all,

While I waited for my next kit to arrive in the mail I thought I'd get started on this Aardvark Maserati Tipo 61 in the meantime. This version of Andy's great kit is for Jim Hall's no. 66 white car or the red Shelby car. I'll be doing the Jim Hall car. The kit looks great and it's quite simple. Basically what you see below is everything included in the kit minus the vac formed windshield.

Got everything prepped primed and also made the photo etch/white metal wire wheels. The resin body quality is really good, just a few places to patch up with putty and deepen the panel lines. Keeping my fingers crossed that the decals hold up...

Thanks for looking in!

TyenChC.jpg

CPtNcr0.jpg

JeaNqEu.jpg

kNYLZrX.jpg

dmPrjux.jpg

TnOYmRP.jpg

Looks a super kit! I think some Aardvark models are on the  Star Models website. Sorry I've just gone onto the Star Models site and they don't offer any Aardvark Kits any longer!

I tried a Google search for Aardvark resin kits,  which gave me Aardvark kits on Resin Realm, but not this one! I also see that Resin Realm closed sometime in 2017, as the owner retired through ill health.

The kit was requested by Fred Cady and first produced by Aardvark in 1989. Worthpoint call it very rare. 

Edited by PatW

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Did the battery came with the kit? I also notice two parts than I never received when I got mine. Mine was finished without those parts.

Battery was included but I can’t really figure out where it’s supposed to go. Any ideas??

3 minutes ago, Gluebomber said:

If you need replacement decals, Pattos Place has a pretty good sheet for Chaparrals 2A - 2J that have the numbers and roundels:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

Awesome, thanks for the tip! The kit provided number roundel decals are quite small (car itself is tiny also). Hope I can find some no. 66 decals in the same size!

9 minutes ago, FabbricaP said:

Awesome, thanks for the tip! The kit provided number roundel decals are quite small (car itself is tiny also). Hope I can find some no. 66 decals in the same size!

I have #66 and #65 decals from Fred Cady in both 18mm and 19mm diameter across the roundel.  Would those help?

13 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Please post a picture of the part that fits behind the door panel as I would like replicate that for my Birdcage. Top right hand parts in your photo.

THanks

Here you go. The passenger side is longer than the driver side

3R9B4zf.jpg

z8QkWuT.jpg

yy7aPDR.jpg

04n1oB1.jpg   HYClmSg.jpg  

13 hours ago, afx said:

My guess, the battery would be located in the foot well on the passenger side similar to the Cooper Monaco chassis of that era.

13 hours ago, ChrisR said:

I still have this reference photo from when I did mine.

Perfect guys thanks for the pics. 

10 hours ago, FabbricaP said:

Thanks Gary. Where did you manage to get those 18mm no. 66 decals?

Jason et al,

In the photo are the decals I have.  The #66 in the lower right hand corner are the  small 18MM roundels.  The others are the larger 19mm roundels.  

The second photo shows the Camoradi decals.  I have multiple of those if any one is in need of one.

Send me a PM and I can mail the #66 and/or the Camoradi.  I hope this helps.

Gary

100_1288.thumb.JPG.3eb872c5084fe059a9519dc76060a1da.JPG

100_1290.thumb.JPG.fee1f6f481b59419fe975c388e78fb8a.JPG