Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 66 Malibu SS

Limeyglue

This is my WIP for the Monogram Malibu. I wanted one of these kits when i was younger but never managed it. The chassis is done and painted in rattle can Ford Stratos silver with Tamiya racing blue on the engine and rear axle. The body is in its first coat of primer. I'm hoping to finish for the weekend as i am attending a local show.

Cheers Lee

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Man, that is gonna be sweet Lee. I can't wait to see it finished. I'd built this one also as a kid. I built one of these recently as a stock version since it's 1/24 to fit into my diecast collection. It was a challenge but I'm happy with the results lol. Keep her crankin'.

Monogram '66 Chevelle.jpg

I just this morning found my copy of this kit (had been missing for months) and I wanted to settle the question of whether it's 1/24 or 1/25. 

It's definitely longer than the Revell '67 in length, so it's 1/24 long. But it's pretty much exactly the same width, so it's 1/25 in width or darn close to it. Very interesting. 

26 minutes ago, Geno said:

I done the same with the Maisto '66 Snake, the Maisto is definitely smaller.

Checked that one, too. The Maisto is narrower than the Monogram, very close to the Revell. But it's LONGER than the Revell, but not as long as the Monogram. Hmmmmm. 

Thanks for the comments guys. Snake all i did to fit the front end of the body was to make sure the firewall was smooth on the side and i had smooth the inside of the front fenders and  then i taped the front clip to the main body and sanded the bottom of the fenders and flip front together.

Cheers Lee

12 minutes ago, Limeyglue said:

Thanks for the comments guys. Snake all i did to fit the front end of the body was to make sure the firewall was smooth on the side and i had smooth the inside of the front fenders and  then i taped the front clip to the main body and sanded the bottom of the fenders and flip front together.

Cheers Lee

Interesting. I haven't yet been able to get mine to settle down so that the whole front end doesn't look "bent." Need to work with it some more, I guess. 

And then I need to get my roof bent up so it doesn't look caved in, very common with the body on this kit. 

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

looks good so far.. I've gotta get one of these kits.

Was looking at them on ePay the other day. Couldn't believe what they're asking for them now! :blink: Ten or fifteen years ago you could hardly give these things away. 

10 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

i also looked at ebay and couldn't believe it. i always liked the kit.

IMHO you'd be better off with a Lindberg. B)

Not sure what I'm gonna do with mine yet. (I only wanna build it just so I can say I did.) Was playing with it last night and finally got the front end to where it didn't "bend up," although I now have a gap at the lower edge of the left side. Now I need to unflatten my top. My original plan was to glue the front end on solid, but then I'd have to cut the hood out, so I might leave the front clip as a lift-off piece. 

I'm thinking of grafting on a front chassis from a Monogram '70 Chevelle, if it's not too wide. Not sure what I'll do about the hood yet, but I won't use that goofy snorkel scoop. Might see what other lumps and bumps and scoops I have laying around. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

IMHO you'd be better off with a Lindberg. B)

Not sure what I'm gonna do with mine yet. (I only wanna build it just so I can say I did.) Was playing with it last night and finally got the front end to where it didn't "bend up," although I now have a gap at the lower edge of the left side. Now I need to unflatten my top. My original plan was to glue the front end on solid, but then I'd have to cut the hood out, so I might leave the front clip as a lift-off piece. 

I'm thinking of grafting on a front chassis from a Monogram '70 Chevelle, if it's not too wide. Not sure what I'll do about the hood yet, but I won't use that goofy snorkel scoop. Might see what other lumps and bumps and scoops I have laying around. :unsure:

yea it's definitely not the best kit out there. im just old school and like the kits. i never built the lindberg. i stopped building around 89/90 and just started back about 4 months ago.