Model Cars Magazine Forum

FORD GT ( Tamiya ). 2/7/19

Gt fan

14 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Just got mine this morning (from the wife for Valentine’s Day). Looks like a great kit. I’ll be watching this one come together. 

Great present ... I started the carbon on the intake. Probably one of the hardest parts I’ve done. Each side is made of 10 parts

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

14 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

You're doing a great job on that carbon!  Any advice you can offer about it for when I start mine?

Just keep at it. I use Tamiya tape to make the template,I trace it with a red sharpie extra fine point. I have been using the Tamiya carbon sheets lately. That is what is on the GT. I’ve found that a square tip or chiseled tip brush works really good to lay the decal down. You can use the flat of the brush to get it down in the nooks and crannies of the part. I use setting solutions and a hair dryer when the decals won’t bend when I want them to. Use on low heat about 12-14 inches away. The solution that I use is micro sol the red label one. It is the hottest one for the decals. You can make a decal real rubbery and ruin it. I bush a very thin coat on the part and apply the decal. Let it set for 5-10 sec and brush on the sol. Gentle so you don’t move the decal. I let it set for a few more seconds and then work it down smoothing it out and getting the bubbles out if any.  Always make sure you lay the carbon pattern in the same direction. I always work up a sheet, this keeps the weave in the same direction. Take a cut of decal and cut it in half and keep turning one half in a circular motion and you will see the weave not line up until you get back to start. If you make a mistake just try again. There is a lesson learned all the time. See photo for my favorite stuff

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice progress Tim. The CF work is looking great. The interior looks good as well, nice little details but not over the top. Only thing I see is that the blue on the interior looks too shiny, maybe a matte varnish over the top to knock the reflectivity down some as the glare gives it a plastic look, otherwise spot on.