Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 hotrod pickup.

Revell '29 pickup. Inspired by a truck that often appears in Lyle Willits' event coverage. Not a replica of it though.

Using most of the Revell kit with the wheels and 5.0 engine from the Revell '32 sedan. Planning to modify the outer 1/2 of the wheels so they'll look better.

Paint is Alclad gloss black on the fenders and a custom mix light grey with a slight green/grey tint on the cab and box. Testors "green go" on the wheels and engine. That's the engine in the background. 

2v2E1JAMgx2A694.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made new motor mounts to install the 5.0 from a newer Revell '32 kit. 

I was waffling back and forth between using the '29 kit chassis or the '32 chassis and went with the '29. Harder to install a V8 but the '32 would have needed wheelbase adjustment.  , , plus the '29 already has poseable steering. I drilled out the centers of the '32 kit's wheels and added the hubcaps from an AMT '32 Pheaton kit. Seems like a slight improvement on these wheels. Next time I may replace the spokes in the front halves of the wheels too. I've also done up a modified firewall to clear the V8.

IMG 2427

IMG 2425

IMG 2428

• 1 year later...

Haven't worked on this one for about a year and 1/2 so it took a while to remember exactly where I was going with it.

But I think I have it all figured out again.

Didn't really do much with it today but I did get the rear trailing arms pinned at the mounting points I made on the frame. Not sure if I'll go with the buggy spring on the rear or do it up with coil overs. Either way, I'll have to make new spring mounts on the axle.

2v2HTGUB8x2A694.jpg

2v2HTGU6Mx2A694.jpg

2v2HTGUYox2A694.jpg

Glad you decided to get back on this. The 28-9 A-pickup has always been a favorite.  A friend of my dad's built one that I fell in love with as a kid. 48 flathead,  zephyr 3spd, juice brakes, Kelsey Hayes wires, and wrapped in the old Ford dark green.  Sweet little truck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got a little more done. It's starting to look like something now.

The inside is now finished except for a shifter. I'll find something before I glue the roof on.

I really should have sanded those ejector pin marks off the inside of the doors but at the time  the paint was just an experiment. I didn't want to mess with it so I left it alone.

IMG 2871

IMG 2872

IMG 2873

IMG 2874

I'm trying for a whitewashed stain look for the floor of the box. I did the bed rails with strips of decal sheet sprayed black. Still need to be trimmed, of cores.

IMG 2875

7 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Looking good.

Maybe for the doors just shave off the molded door handle and then make a simple interior panel out of .020 plastic sheet? You can add back a handle if you want, and it will hide the ejector pin marks with minimal worry about damaging the paint and stuff

I have been thinking about doing just that Craig. 

Fabbed up the exhaust today and painted the gas tank I made over the last week.
I have to finish up the hanger and I'll alclad it over the next few days.
2v2HqJt7rx2A694.jpg?

The truck is very close to being finished. I made some inner door panels last weekend, maybe should have made them a bit wider but I think they look OK. The ejector pin marks are not as noticeable in person.
The headlights are the mid-size ones from the unobtanium Revell '30 coupe hotrod but the just re-released '29 roadster has the same ones. The headlight bar is from a Revell '32 kit.

2v2HqJtPMx2A694.jpg

2v2HqJtD2x2A694.jpg