Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush compressor

I am new to airbrushing and just bought an airbrush and now looking for a compressor and don't really know about them. I am on a limited buget as there will be other thing like paint and thinner to buy as well as other things. I found this one at harbor freight, will this do the job?

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-58-psi-oil-free-airbrush-compressor-60329.html

I vote yes.  But get the extended warranty.  Mine did not pulse and I thought it worked great.  Think about air brushing nail polish.  There are some very cool colors.   If you have a beauty supply shop near you like a Sally Beauty, they sell small containers of nail polish thinner.  This way you don't have to store large amounts of any kind of thinners.  Nail polish dries pretty fast too.  Buy a bottle of Bare Metal Foil Plastic polish to rub out your cured paint job too.  It is cheap and works great on paint but is made to remove scuffs and scratches on clear model glass.  Also dollar stores sell nail polish but the color selection might not be extensive but a cheap way to practice.  Also buy a decent double action air brush and learn how to use it if you have not bought one already.

Edited by Greg Wann

7 hours ago, martin9428 said:

I am new to airbrushing and just bought an airbrush and now looking for a compressor and don't really know about them. I am on a limited buget as there will be other thing like paint and thinner to buy as well as other things. I found this one at harbor freight, will this do the job?

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-58-psi-oil-free-airbrush-compressor-60329.html

Yes, that one will work. One thing to consider, that you may not of thought of, is the amount of noise the compressor will generate. A loud compressor that continually runs can quickly drive you out of the room/garage.

43 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Yes, that one will work. One thing to consider, that you may not of thought of, is the amount of noise the compressor will generate. A loud compressor that continually runs can quickly drive you out of the room/garage.

Another reason to get a unit with a tank. I can fill my tank in just a couple minutes, which gives me all the air I need for a silent airbrush session. 

Personally I agree with Snake I like to have a tank, when I looked up my local store they had a 3 gallon compressor for about 8.00 less, if you're going to go with something from harbor freight I would do the warranty as mentioned. (Not knocking them but I've had things from there last anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 years in fact I have a couple things I've had closer to 15 years)

12 hours ago, martin9428 said:

Yes, I used that very same compressor from Harbor Freight for years( well , a few of them) they work and will get the job done, Ive achieved very nice paint jobs even with the so called pulsing, ive found that going above 20/25PSI is when they didnt work to well, just keep it under that.   The other, they have a shelf life, Ive gotten about 1.5 years of use out of them before they stop, but I also build a ton of models a year so your life span may be longer.  

Edited by martinfan5

https://www.californiaairtools.com/

You could purchase one from this company.  They are quiet too.  If you want it to be more quiet throw a blanket over it or put it in a box.  You just want to put it in a cool room and drain the  tank on a regular basis.  You also might want to consider a dehumidifier in your paint /model room too if you live in a high humidity area.  I put one in my resin casting shop.  I was surprised that even though I live in Aridzona, the tank was full in 24 hours.  There are air compressors made specifically for medical and dental offices that are super quiet like a scroll rotary compressor.  You might find a deal on something like this.

https://eatoncompressor.com/product/7-5hp-quiet-air-compressor-single-phase-80-gallon-vertical/#technical-specifications

I bought one of these used for my resin casting shop.  It only runs once a day that I am aware of.  It has a optional baffle that makes it run pretty quiet for it's size.

Edited by Greg Wann

Now that I think about it, I have this one that I bought for the camper and wondering if I could use this if I put a water trap on it and adaptor for my hose. It does tend to be a little loud when recovering air  but, it does have a tank. Also, I can adjust the air pressure but, not sure if it will go low enough.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-FINI-1-2-Gallon-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/50192315

1 hour ago, martin9428 said:

In reading the specs. it does say it can be used for air brushing

It will work. Set the regulator to 50 or so lb, maybe 75 and run a hose into your work area. On the side of your work station or booth put a Point Zero regulator/water trap ( about $11 at Amazon) . The hose goes to the in port, you can get quick connectors at HF, then your AB on the out port. Set this work station regulator to your desired AB pressure setting. It will work great if you really want to deal with gasoline.

You can do the same thing with a pancake compressor, or like I have an 8 gal portable. You don't have to have a dedicated AB compressor, you just need a good regulator and an adapter or two. My compressor runs nail guns and lvlp paint spray guns great plus does the AB duty. It is noisy though, not with AB so much because I can paint a whole model on a charge of air, so it doesn't even come on when airbrushing if I build up the supply first. I use my compressor as a portable air tank actually, when airbrushing, I don't even plug it in if it has a full charge.

12 hours ago, martin9428 said:

Dave, The one I have is electric. Glad to know I can use it. Any chance you might link me to the items your talking about? This is all french to me

Is it so loud you wouldn't want it indoors ? That might change some requirements.

And what airbrush do you have ?

Edited by Dave G.

30 minutes ago, martin9428 said:

It could be a little loud but, for the little bit of painting I'll be doing and the money saved, I'll live with it if it works.

It's going to work Scott ! No " if " there.

What airbrush are you using ?

Edited by Dave G.

1 hour ago, martin9428 said:

I got a Master G44 airbrush from a member

I was just recently watching some reviews on Master airbrushes and they seem to review very well. If you contact TCP Global they can get you hooked right up to that compressor and it won't be expensive... You want to get hooked up to a standard compressor quick connect coupler.