Model Cars Magazine Forum

Way, way back in the day....AMT 1934 Ford Pickup Resto-Rod with Buick V-6 Power

Heh guys...this is the type of street rod that was makin' the grade in the mags back around 1980 or so.  So I built something similar for my "Modeler's Corner" column in Street Rodder magazine back then.  

2v2Evw8R3x9hi3o.jpg

Back in the early 1980's, "fuel efficient" engines were the big thing in the 1/1 scale street rod world, and the Buick V6 was among the most popular choices.

I was pleased to "discover" the same engine in 1/25th scale, as part of the MPC Jeep Jeepster kit series (the 1/1 scale Buick engine tooling was sold to AMC in the late 1960's, and then reacquired by GM in the mid 1970's after the first Arab Oil Embargo).

I built this model for my Street Rodder magazine "Modeler's Corner" column to show that a scale replica of this latest 1/1 scale trend was fully possible. In addition to the Buick V6, I added four-bar radius rods up front, and a ladder-bar style traction bars/likns at the rear.  The wheels shown here, btw, came from the late 1970's AMT Indy car kit series, and the tires were stolen from an Eldon kit replicating one of the famous late 1960's show rods. The pickup rails were built from real wood, and feature a cut/paste treatment of the decals from AMT's 1972 Chevelle "Red Alert" kit.   The paint was an off-brand pale yellow aerosol,  with a Testors Yellow chassis.   

2v2Evw8svx9hi3o.jpg

2v2Evw8S3x9hi3o.jpg

Plenty more pictures here....thanks for lookin'....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...