Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reveal your user name origin

misterNNL

Way back in the early internet days I needed an email address. Every permutation of my real name had been taken. My son liked dragons but I had to add a second "g" to get it accepted by AOL. It's now over 20 years later and I really do not like it. I'd change it, but I use it on every forum and just don't feel like dealing with the hassle.  

Edited by Draggon

Mine is from a two week period about 25 years ago. It seemed that every time I went out on my skateboard, I fell off my skateboard and got some pretty impressive slams, which burst the same group of stitches reapetedly hence stitchdup.

Isn't that modem sound the current dance/techno music?

3 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

Yeah I remember that annoying almost screeching sound when trying to connect to AOL.  My daughters used to hate when I was on the 'puter back then, because they couldn't use the house phone.

Because of that problem, I downloaded an answering machine app. that would play a message if someone called.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

More than a decade ago, I started a company called Ace-Garage. I'm the guy. Ace-Garage guy, see?

It's never been fully active, but the plan is to light it up again after I move West. Full hot-rod and one-off builds, design work, and consultation.

I love your new Avatar Bill.:lol:

Nothing too original.  I chose an EBAY name about 20 years ago and it stuck.  Combo of Virginia and Mach1.  I have owned two 1972's and a 2004.  I tries to get personalized license plates and someone already had them. :(. So I got Mach1VA instead.

For me name is Rich and some people have said I talk like a combination of John Wayne and Sam Elliott, so they gave me the nickname.

First time I heard I was I a supply house in Sacramento Ca and it's just stuck....to the point that I was in a small supply house in Colorado and when I was there they referred to me as cowboy Rich.

Love the new avatar Bill.:D

Edited by cowboy rich
Spelling

Prosaic truth : it's the car that I've owned since 2005 .

It was my daily driver for 10 years ---- no heater , no defogger , no air , no floor covering , no sound system ; leaks around the windscreen and backlight ; a 318 with a "broom-handle" cam , 904 auto with shift-improver , 2.71 geared 8.25" rear . Full of California beach rust . 

But , it cost me zero to purchase , as someone gave the thing to me ! 

I had a hard time coming up with a screen name for AOL Instant Messenger way back when. One of the problems with having a very common name - most of the variations are taken. I finally came up with SSN (the ships I rode in the Navy - nuclear submarines) and Jim (my first name). Not the most creative name, but it's served me well since then.

1 hour ago, SSNJim said:

I had a hard time coming up with a screen name for AOL Instant Messenger way back when. One of the problems with having a very common name - most of the variations are taken. I finally came up with SSN (the ships I rode in the Navy - nuclear submarines) and Jim (my first name). Not the most creative name, but it's served me well since then.

Your photo always gives me a smirk. Clever! And a cool story to your name as well.

I retired from police work and moved west. After becoming bored I took a job with a state police agency (Nevada Gaming Control Board) that refers to it's employees as "agents". During my indoctrination week, myself and several others were mentored by a pompous ass who kept referring to our new status as "agents of the board" . After hours of agent this and agent that, the vision of Men in Black popped into my head. Because it's a little known agency outside Nevada and the fact I live in 85 miles from Area 51, my moniker was a given. 

See the source image

My board name?  I was born this way!  My parents decision... I could've been Little Artie!  

Like Rich, I got involved online with AOL.  My user name, which is still my email was  "Modlcitizn", shortened to fit into the AOL 10 letter maximum for screen names.  I used to write a column for my club's newsletter called "The Model Citizen" that got reprinted into a bunch of other club's newsletters.  I had that content online  in an AOL website  "Modlcitizn On-Line" until AOL wiped those away.  Not that long ago I found much of my content had been preserved on a website.  Every so often I get an email from someone who has stumbled across them. It's hard to believe it's mostly over 20 years old now!

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/g/geigertom.php

Edited by Tom Geiger

Dymaxions were one of the  spectacular Streamlined Cars  during the '30's .  A Ford V/8 Truck Chassis was rotated 180 degrees with the smooth wind cheating Shell built on . Ii was configured as FWD with Rear Steer . The Video Ad for the Car depicted a Dymaxion travelling a crowded City environment . The Story Line is the occupants were searching for a Parking Spot Curbside .  One Spot opens across the Street directly opposite the Dymaxion . A U - ey is flipped , The maneuverable Dymaxion not only slips through a tight turn to cross the Street . It had the wiggle to glide directly onto the Spot . A parallel Park maneuver at that . I admire the Buckminster Fuller Vision of the Future . He was a dreamer . My using this name is a tribute to his world he created .  Now you know he rest of the Story . Thanx 

Edited by dimaxion

My board name is my real name, keeping it real.   On other other forums I've used aliases, usually with a reference to 'cubicle' because of my career in software development.  (aliases such HCube, Cubical, cubicledweller, CubeJGC, etc)   But since I've been working remote from home for the last couple of years, I don't have a cubicle but a home office.   I have thought about getting the personalized license plate 'NO CUBE'. :)

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

My board name is my real name, keeping it real. 

I loved it when you used the store sign as your avatar. I think until I was about 14, every stitch of clothing I wore came from just three sources: Sears, Robert Hall, or hand-me-downs from cousins. :lol: