Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reveal your user name origin

misterNNL

Great thread suggestion, Tom. 

For those of you who do not know Tom other than reading his many posts here, just let me see that his appreciation for the human spirit is just as strong as his talent for building great model cars.  

Tom is among my very few lifelong friends (all the way back to the 1971 MPC Dayton show) and I count my blessings that I met him and his family back then, and that we have remained friends all these years.  He and his wife Karen have influenced me for the better a whole number of times in my life....

This thread is just one example of how Tom is genuinely interested in people in general, and particularly those who still pound plastic after all these years.  

Oh...and as for my own screen name....well the answer is obvious. Guess I left the creativity on hold for this one.....Cheers....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

On 2/7/2019 at 9:23 PM, misterNNL said:

I am a little surprised that only 16 percent of the builders that logged in decided to share their info.though.

That's because there'd already been a thread the last few years, but I guess there's always room for updates and refresh.

18 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

To be fair, that thread is 7 years old, and there's been a lot of new members join since then........ :)

I had no idea that this idea had been explored previously. I have had a life long intrest in the origin of words and phrases and wondered what motivated members to choose these names. My personal thanks to all responders.

Actually, just saw this thread tonight........and yes, it's a good one..................well, I'm from Vermont, and am an old fart, and am about as much of a back country redneck as you may be able to find. Also, have had MANY jobs in my life, and now that I am at retirement age, I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up. But, of all the jobs I had, the most enjoyable was working for a construction company as a rigger. I ran a crew that moved machinery of all sizes, in all sorts of places. We moved transformers that weighed 400 tons or more, generators, heavy metalworking machines, dead equipment, etc. so, redneck.....rigger.

Lots of cool and interesting stories here. I'm boring. I got my name from my parents.

I've been on the Internet since the days of smart people sitting at dumb terminals. (sometimes I miss those days). I've had multiple pseudonyms over the years. The only one that stuck was my real name, or some close variant to it. I've been known for being active in astronomy, scuba diving, target shooting, and any number of other things driven primarily by my kids interests. The only really enduring things have been astronomy and scuba diving. Got back into model cars when I tore up my knee during a dive and was laid up for a while. It's an activity that has stuck, and coexists nicely with other things. 

10 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Lots of cool and interesting stories here. I'm boring. I got my name from my parents.

I've been on the Internet since the days of smart people sitting at dumb terminals. (sometimes I miss those days). I've had multiple pseudonyms over the years. The only one that stuck was my real name, or some close variant to it. I've been known for being active in astronomy, scuba diving, target shooting, and any number of other things driven primarily by my kids interests. The only really enduring things have been astronomy and scuba diving. Got back into model cars when I tore up my knee during a dive and was laid up for a while. It's an activity that has stuck, and coexists nicely with other things. 

Dave, I always think of you as Space Angel. :lol:

I am a little surprised that only 16 percent of the builders that logged in decided to share their info.though.

A very small percentage of the overall board population is currently active.  Some took out names and never posted years ago.  I once sent Gregg and Harry the suggestion that they clear out old names, say over 5 years abandoned,  since a lot of the long inactive ones were rather clever and could have been reused.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

A very small percentage of the overall board population is currently active.  Some took out names and never posted years ago.  I once sent Gregg and Harry the suggestion that they clear out old names, say over 5 years abandoned,  since a lot of the long inactive ones were rather clever and could have been reused.

I noticed that too Tom.  When I sign on to the Forum daily I usually check the birthday listing to see if I personally know anyone whose birthday it is.  I've noticed that a HUGE number of those people in the birthday listing haven't visited the Forum in many years...!!!  Maybe it's time to "clean out" the inactive ones...???

Well, It's my Name.

Alan Alexis. When I signed up for this forum, my usual handle "Stavanzer" was not accepted. I don't have a clue why.

If I could, I'd still like Stavanzer.  The Stavanzer was a large land dwelling, whale, written about by the Sci-Fi author Alan Dean Foster, in three novels he wrote back in the 1970's

Icerigger Trilogy

1. Icerigger (1974) ISBN 0-345-23836-2
  2. Mission to Moulokin (1979) ISBN 0-345-27676-0
  3. The Deluge Drivers (1987) ISBN 0-345-33330-6

I always liked his books, and the Stavanzer was the neatest thing I'd read about in years. The Name was always one I choose when signing in on other forums.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Well, It's my Name.

Alan Alexis. When I signed up for this forum, my usual handle "Stavanzer" was not accepted. I don't have a clue why.

The name Stavanzer was taken when you tried to sign up. Apparently, you're not the only model car builder who likes that character. 

The board was 6 months old when they registered too. I like your idea. But, we'd have to write more than a little code to perform that purge intelligently. It becomes a matter of finite time and priorities. I will check and see if there might be some support from the forum vendor. 

Thanks,
Dave

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

The board was 6 months old when they registered too. I like your idea. But, we'd have to write more than a little code to perform that purge intelligently. It becomes a matter of finite time and priorities. I will check and see if there might be some support from the forum vendor. 

Thanks,
Dave

Thank you Dave.  It's nice to have my voice heard!

• 3 years later...

My name dates back to college when I was driving a 1977 Chevy, a cool American car that I painted flat black, flat is “matt”, and paint on a caris called “lack” in slang.

A friend of mine came up with the nickname Mattilacken and every one thought of was a good name since my family name Is Matti!  So my nick name is “flatt paint”

Me when doing some engine work after college

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Mattilacken

Earl Marischal is the name of a British Rail Class 87 Electric loco, number 87029. Previously, it had been the name of a London North Eastern Railway P2 2-8-0 steam loco.

The name itself is that of a hereditary Scottish office first created in the 15th century.

I like the loco(s) and the name.

steve 

my name is michael but my in laws calls me miles. it happened because when i first got married, my brother in law texted my wife to see if i was going to dinner, however the phone autocorrected mike to miles. 

so it basically said, is miles going to dinner

and my wife wrote back who is miles.

from that point, i have been known as miles. i had to put mrmiles because miles was not available