Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Plymouth Belvedere

Paul Hettick

Thank you very much! The color is 57 Plymouth Burgandy metallic. Aside changing it from a 58 to a 57, I took a pie slice out of the body right at the rear door line, this straightened out the body somewhat and at the same time gave the roof a bit more of a peak. Removed the heavily mold lined bumper wings. So many other problems with the body on the 58 I did not fix, the too low trunk lid, wrong hood cut lines to the front fenders, cowl screen, ect.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:47 PM, Paul Hettick said:

Thank you very much! The color is 57 Plymouth Burgandy metallic. Aside changing it from a 58 to a 57, I took a pie slice out of the body right at the rear door line, this straightened out the body somewhat and at the same time gave the roof a bit more of a peak. Removed the heavily mold lined bumper wings. So many other problems with the body on the 58 I did not fix, the too low trunk lid, wrong hood cut lines to the front fenders, cowl screen, ect.

Paul, you did pretty much what I have in mind when the time comes for me to tackle this. I hadn't paid much attention to the hood cut lines.........I'll look at lot closer at that. And yes, the trunk could stand a bit of a 'lift', but it's not as bad as those rear fenders were. As you mentioned there are other issues with it that stick out to me like a sore thumb, but I don't know if I'll correct all of them.

I still to this day cannot figure out how RC2 screwed up what I think is such an iconic (and important design wise) Mopar! This is definitely on my long term project list once I get a couple more WIP's out of the way.

Still, yours is super exceptional and I sure dig that color! I'm going to check the '58 color palette to see if that was available then. I'm seriously thinking about turning mine into a Savoy as I really like the side trim as much as the Belvedere/Fury.

Besides, I have a Danbury Mint '58 Plymouth Fury now, so I've been sated by that model as far as having a nice one.  :P 

Edited by MrObsessive

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

What a gorgeous Plymouth Paul. That colour is stunning! I have to say I prefer these bumpers to the ones that were used on the Fury’s. I also really like the slick wheel covers on the ‘57 cars. I wonder if many of those found their way onto custom cars of that era.

A beautifully finished model right down to the cool factory upholstery pattern!