Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yellow tags at Hobby Lobby

Looking at an Iwata airbrush HP-CS with a yellow "Your Price" sticker of $149 thinking, oh boy 40% off, $89. :D

No, sorry no coupons on yellow sticker priced items.

So my question, do these items ever go back to the regular price?:huh:

$179 - %40 = $107 :lol:

Edited by Greg Myers

It might be theoretically possible, but don't count on the minimum-wage kid to be able to reprogram the register to accomplish it. 

The manager might or might not know how to do it, but is likely to just tell you "It can't be done." 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

It might be theoretically possible, but don't count on the minimum-wage kid to be able to reprogram the register to accomplish it. 

The manager might or might not know how to do it, but is likely to just tell you "It can't be done." 

Around me the employees at HL are more than capable. Kids too...

My local Hobby Lobby is great !  when they had model kits on sale-they did over ride the register to the full price so I could use the %40 coupon instead . was there yesterday and got the Revell '68 Chevelle -wanted to get the Revell '69 Mustang kit too but the slot was empty , the nice lady filled out a 'rain check' slip and will call some time next week when it comes in-Yea Hobby Lobby !

4 hours ago, von Zipper said:

My local Hobby Lobby is great !  when they had model kits on sale-they did over ride the register to the full price so I could use the %40 coupon instead . was there yesterday and got the Revell '68 Chevelle -wanted to get the Revell '69 Mustang kit too but the slot was empty , the nice lady filled out a 'rain check' slip and will call some time next week when it comes in-Yea Hobby Lobby !

Ours has had the Chevelle for a couple weeks now, but no sign of the Mustang yet, not even an empty spot on the shelves for them.

5 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Around me the employees at HL are more than capable. Kids too...

Same for the two locations I visit.

Here is another fun fact, HL , at least here,  before minimum wages were raised , starting pay was $10 , well above at the time $7.25 hr mw, I have no idea what the starting pay is now.  I just remember seeing on a sign posted on the doors.

Full-time pay is advertised as $15.25 hr. Don't remember what part time starting wages were but are above $10 

That pay scale must keep the employees somewhat happy since many are still there after my local store opened 5 years ago. The management there leaves much to be desired however. 

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Full-time pay is advertised as $15.25 hr. Don't remember what part time starting wages were but are above $10 

That pay scale must keep the employees somewhat happy since many are still there after my local store opened 5 years ago. The management there leaves much to be desired however. 

Maybe it was $10 for part time, its been like 7 years now since I remember seeing in on the door sign and now I don't even pay attention now.

I recently bought an Ott Lite with the magnifier. It had the yellow tag price and IIRC, when I did the math it was calculated at 50% off. Saw the same stickers on the airbrushes too, so pretty sure they took the preemptive strike and discounted it for you. 

Tried to upload an image of the sticker but the forum isn't allowing me to.

22 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Looking at an Iwata airbrush HP-CS with a yellow "Your Price" sticker of $149 thinking, oh boy 40% off, $89. :D

No, sorry no coupons on yellow sticker priced items.

So my question, do these items ever go back to the regular price?:huh:

$179 - %40 = $107 :lol:

here's the math, far from %40 off , $149 vs $179, close to %20

I have 2 Hobby Lobby's near me both with in 10 miles. The one needs a new manager, the store is a mess, isles full of boxes, stuff thrown on shelf's, and most employees don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. they aren't able to help you find any thing cause they have no idea where it's at either. They dang sure wouldn't know how to make the cash register change things.

The other is so neat and clean you could eat off the floor most days. (not that I would want to) Most of these employees have been around for a while and if you ask a question they have an answer and can take you right to what your looking for. They will also change the register so as you get the best price. A couple times the lady even gave my grand daughter (7) the 40% on top of the yellow ticket. Which I through was very nice of her.

But the one thing I always do before I get to checkout is figure the 40% off compared to the regular price to be sure I am getting the whole 40%

When Revell was circling the drain, I stopped by the HL nearest my office to see what I might pick up for either a future build or trading fodder. I chose the "stock" 70 Charger. The person running the register was a very attractive female in probably her late 20s. She was obviously attracted to the pink muscle car on the box. Her name tag proclaimed that she was the manager. She babbled something like, "That would be an awesome car if the windows went up and down with a switch." She looked at me in total disbelief when I told her that many cars could have been ordered with power windows in 1970, including the Charger. In fact, my great uncle had a 55 Olds 98 with power windows. 

Absolutely nothing to do with a coupon, but had to chime in about their staff. I'm sure her head would have exploded if I had taken her out to the parking lot and explained what the mysterious third pedal is used for in my Mazda3. 

Edited by Rodent

I've been in several Hobby Lobbies in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.  All of them have been neat, clean and organized.  They are all fairly new stores, and spooky that they have the same layouts, right down to what peg certain items are on from store to store!

My issue is that they make the shelves look full by spreading out the same items.  For instance, where they may have three of one kit, and are out of two other kits, they'll spread them across the shelf into the empty slots.  Sometimes if you look, the models are only one deep!   The models are okay like this, but they do the same thing on the paint racks!  I went looking for certain Testors paints, and found the racks full, but the wrong paints in some of the marked spots.  I was looking for  gloss black lacquer and found that the slot was full of an overstock of flat black lacquer from the slot next to it!   Argh! 

Long ago ( late seventies) I experienced something like this teaching high school auto mechanics.

students would bring their cars in to do an oil change and start up the engine and dump most of their new oil onto the floor.?

trouble was, the cheep oil filters they were buying were labeled Generically. That is to say the box would list most cars. You were expected to look at the box , find the code for your vehicle then look at the end of the box to make sure you had the correct filter.

”But Mr. Myers, it had my car listed on the side of the box.” ?

I agree  with the statements above how much HL's can vary from store to store. I live in Canada but hop the border now and then to do some shopping and the HL in Niagara Falls NYis petty good. Staff seems well informed, there's an older gentleman that works in the model area that knows what he's doing, and the store is clean and organized. Even the SALE section is need and tidy. However the store in Buffalo, like 20 mins away from NF, is the polar opposite. Staff that I've talked to have little to no clue, store is usually a mess, and the attitude of the employees is pretty sketchy as well. I rarely go to Buffalo for that reason, but always hit up the NF store when I'm over. No idea what stocks like on anything new as I havent been over since before Christmas but I should be going over tomorrow to so some shopping so I'll check out HL. I just wish they'd start opening on Sunday's as I cant always make it on Saturdays, one of the few stores that I know of that still close on Sundays.

21 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Long ago ( late seventies) I experienced something like this teaching high school auto mechanics.

students would bring their cars in to do an oil change and start up the engine and dump most of their new oil onto the floor.?

trouble was, the cheep oil filters they were buying were labeled Generically. That is to say the box would list most cars. You were expected to look at the box , find the code for your vehicle then look at the end of the box to make sure you had the correct filter.

”But Mr. Myers, it had my car listed on the side of the box.” ?

And I'm sure it's only getting worse. Even when I did my own oil changes I never bought cheap filters.

Just back on track . . . 

Just visited my closest Hobby Lobby. Ask to see the Iwata air brush combo, gun, hose and other dodads listed at $179 with a yellow sticker @ $149. Then I discovered the gun was a bottom feed cup. I was looking for the Gravity feed open cup. It was also $149 (yellow sticker but no gray sticker) also no hose.:(

After talking to another customer about airbrushes , he said he was happy with the Iwata NEON brush, I decided to go with that at $49 , yellow sticker.

I had already talked to two Hobby Lobby employees and was now on my third. She apologized after getting the airbrush out of the cabinet saying she had to walk me up to the front as this was their new store policy on expensive locked items.  One of the other employees also eluded to this.

I ask her about the yellow stickers and she said this was also a new store policy dealing with higher priced items to eliminate the use of their 40% coupons and it was not an indication of a sale item.

So there you have it. At least for the Bell road and 76th ave. in Phoenix AZ. ;)