Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Porcshe 959 1:24

Funkychiken

I'm really keen to make a dent into my stash this year. I've spent soooo much of my time doing DIY in the house, or fixing mistakes in my builds that I don't get to finish a model too often.

I am part way through a Rally car build that requires too much scratch building and additional details to make it half decent, so I thought I'd start another.

This will be pretty much an out-of-the-box build with very little details. Maybe plugs and seat belts, and that's it.

the joy for me in model building is engines and chassis, this has a full engine, so i'll start with that.

I do want to get an F40 completed next too, as I think they will go well together.

Wife is after a new House project, so i've got to move quickly.

20190203_135954.jpg

I just started one as well; a few of my friends in our local club are started on a 959 group build.

Look at the Canepa website for inspiration; you don't have to go w/the basic colors, they have been building/rebuilding 959's as Generation III cars. They do amazing work and a shop tour is mind blowing. One of my friends has already painted his in blue w/red interior like one of the Canepa cars that was sold. Mine will be more creative; I'm making mine into a phantom 959 RS Series IV Weissach Edition using kitbashed parts from Tamiya and Fujimi Porsches.

Canepa Sold Listings

1988-porsche-959

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but the engine is not complete.  Tamiya usually does a great job with detail, but to completely leave off the intercoolers is so not German.  Nevertheless I'm still a fan of this car, have built two, and have the Paris-Dakar waiting for me to finish.   So good luck, look forward to seeing what you do!

IMG_2779_Fotor.jpg

29 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but the engine is not complete.  Tamiya usually does a great job with detail, but to completely leave off the intercoolers is so not German.  Nevertheless I'm still a fan of this car, have built two, and have the Paris-Dakar waiting for me to finish.   So good luck, look forward to seeing what you do!

Intercoolers aren't visible on the real thing though, so Tamiya really didn't need to include them.

Anyway, I have this in the stash. One day will get it done.:)

19 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Look at the Canepa website for inspiration; you don't have to go w/the basic colors, they have been building/rebuilding 959's as Generation III cars.

That's a very good idea. I have been looking there last year for alternative colors (as the standard ones are kind of boring) and I found that this will be my way to do it - most beautiful 959 I've ever seen. https://canepa.com/1988-porsche-959-canepa-gen-iii/ 

And, a bit off-topic,  if anyone want their belief in this Porsche as the "perfect car" shattered, here's an interesting read: https://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-959s-history-was-way-more-of-a-disaster-tha-1792096170

Btw, I agree that the intercoolers are not a must because they are not visible. 

I did one white with red interior.  I am a newbie to the hobby (total of six builds thus far) but I thought the color choice worked out well.  Enjoy the kit.  It was my first Tamiya and I found it fit well and the instructions were really straight forward and easy to follow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tommy124 said:

That's a very good idea. I have been looking there last year for alternative colors (as the standard ones are kind of boring) and I found that this will be my way to do it - most beautiful 959 I've ever seen. https://canepa.com/1988-porsche-959-canepa-gen-iii/ 

And, a bit off-topic,  if anyone want their belief in this Porsche as the "perfect car" shattered, here's an interesting read: https://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-959s-history-was-way-more-of-a-disaster-tha-1792096170

Thanks for those links.  Snagged some Paris-Dakar pictures that I haven't seen before.

If nobody flips the model over, then you're good.  ;)

IMG_2786_Fotor.jpg

7 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

A lot of people hate him, I think he's entertaining and he's a true enthusiast. This video shows a lot of cool details about the 959, including the sound of the horn which sounds almost identical to the Hella Supertones I have on my MX5 :D

He is quite annoying, but it is a good video! And being a bit of a geek myself, I really like geeky car vids!

6 hours ago, Slimguy said:

I did one white with red interior.  I am a newbie to the hobby (total of six builds thus far) but I thought the color choice worked out well.  Enjoy the kit.  It was my first Tamiya and I found it fit well and the instructions were really straight forward and easy to follow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Agree, it's stunning in white!

7 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Tommy, that is a great link!

• 4 months later...

So I havn't posted in a while, as I was going to move house... it's still on the cards, but we are currently trying to re-finance & teh mortgage company is not easy to deal with! 

Anyhow, most of my stuff was packed a month ago, but with the delay, I sneaked some of it out & re-started this car...

all thw components have been stripped from sprues & are in progress. I was debating on colour, and have decided to go woth Alclad II Cobalt Blue.

the spoon test is half with black base & half without, the black base looks way better, so that's what I decided to do!

Alclad II Cobalt Blue.jpg

The chassis in the instructions is difficult to understand - it looks like it is all in the body colour. The images on line do show that most of it probably is finished in the body colour. But I decided to do mine in a mixture of semi-gloss black & the body colour. Masked & ready to go!

Masked Chassis.jpg

The body was sprayed with Zero Primer - a few coats and some very light sanding. I'm using a new bottle of zero grey primer, and have found that I need to thin it down by about 20 to 30%. Never happened to me before, but look on the bright side - it'll last longer!

Then there were several light coats of Zero gloss black. it came out smooth to the touch, but looks textured!?

Step 1 Zero Black Base.jpg

So this is where it's at now, the Alclad II Bright Silver Base has been applied.

The spoon test received 2 light coats, and looks great with a black/silver look to it, but I couldn't replicate this on the body shell - it was too difficult to get it even. it ended us so patchy that eventually it has ended up just silver. I'm hoping it will still look good though.

Step 2 Candy Base.jpg

41 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

it's been lightly sanded, and will now get Cobalt blue Lacquer on top... I can already predict that it will also receive an unwanted layer of dust... but I'm not looking ofr perfection - just want to get a kit done this year!

I love this kit/car!.....its looking Killer sofar, bud!!!!