Model Cars Magazine Forum

Over The Creek.

QbanFam

I found that after a year or two building this diorama, it starts to take on the feeling of a real place and having done the research about the real place in the 1950's, it allows me to use my imagination to create scenes within scenes. The photography aspect of the whole project is probably the most exciting part for me.

You will have great satisfaction in creating a city setting, with the vehicles, cobblestones and a realistic building of some sort. The tricky bit will be..... do you include figures of people or not? They have to be really good figures to make it work, or you can do what the famous Michael Paul Smith of Elgin Park did with his work..... absolutely no people!

David

1 hour ago, martin9428 said:

This is a great diarama, now if you could find the perfect driver for the car I think it would pull it all together

True. I just haven’t gotten into the figures yet. I’m still learning and tweaking things to ge the most realistic scenery I could get. I’m also filling my head with information and tutorials on vehicle painting and weathering, so I can then model those on my dioramas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, Anglia105E said:

Your diorama is going to look fantastic when you get the water in..... and the real background just blends in nicely

David

On 2/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, Anglia105E said:

I found that after a year or two building this diorama, it starts to take on the feeling of a real place and having done the research about the real place in the 1950's, it allows me to use my imagination to create scenes within scenes. The photography aspect of the whole project is probably the most exciting part for me.

You will have great satisfaction in creating a city setting, with the vehicles, cobblestones and a realistic building of some sort. The tricky bit will be..... do you include figures of people or not? They have to be really good figures to make it work, or you can do what the famous Michael Paul Smith of Elgin Park did with his work..... absolutely no people!

David

On 2/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, bbowser said:

This is amazing, very convincing!  I too like the idea of a motorcycle or a car stopped just short of the bridge.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, martin9428 said:

This is a great diarama, now if you could find the perfect driver for the car I think it would pull it all together

On 2/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, martin9428 said:

I'd say you have the cars and diaramas down.

51A3622A-E435-49D8-B02A-2DAA95ECE696.jpeg

833CB19C-EFC3-4F10-B8D6-29F95C1A79B2.jpeg

FAA42CE2-0F90-4ED9-B525-9F4A7EBEC93F.jpeg

4BD3CD71-2093-4DC6-8DED-E1A1E245CB70.jpeg

Edited by QbanFam
I began adding extra layers of weathering, plus patchy static grass. I’m also adding fallen leaves, which I made using a mini leaf puncher and coffee filter, which I the. Painted with raw umber acrylic ink. The coffee filter is thin and absorbs the ink.

8 hours ago, Flat32 said:

Could maybe use a slight hint of tire tracks in the gravel.  Otherwise your "Bridge over dried up stream bed" looks perfect.  If you put a car consider a Model T Ford in the choices.

Tire tracks...I knew something was missing. Thank you for the tip.

16 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Wow. This is so impressive. Really, really good.

Thank you so much. It’s still a work in progress. 

5A359C66-B828-4F22-90A7-F75A6896C13A.jpeg

D4BE97FB-FBF3-44DE-B9DA-E6F05E2DEFB9.jpeg

EFBC052F-17B9-4780-B80F-98838FFE4EF0.jpeg

7C826BCF-C0EA-4D1C-8561-96CDEC9CECA4.jpeg

469D2395-EF23-4FC0-9B3A-0C90E4521165.jpeg

2EECBD11-5877-431B-A8C6-774B4F0C5CBA.jpeg

8A137A81-9212-4D0D-B59C-86B726BFBF38.jpeg

161E81B4-A6D9-4EA2-A310-C43D21005F33.jpeg

B04DD629-7BD1-44BC-82CC-AAC26725DCE2.jpeg

2ADA08A3-826A-431C-A837-0CC76AE7483C.jpeg

896770A4-5ACE-4846-B4D5-15043C010A89.jpeg

Edited by QbanFam
Static grass was applied. More details to come, plus the creek water (that’s the scariest part of all).

All good so far Yordan, and those leaves are very effective. The creek water is of course the scary bit..... I did try some real water, sprayed onto the surfaces of the streets and pavements of my diorama scene and then got the photography done before the water evaporated. The experiment kind of worked, but it is much more difficult to simulate falling rain, or to create larger volumes of water.

David

3 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

All good so far Yordan, and those leaves are very effective. The creek water is of course the scary bit..... I did try some real water, sprayed onto the surfaces of the streets and pavements of my diorama scene and then got the photography done before the water evaporated. The experiment kind of worked, but it is much more difficult to simulate falling rain, or to create larger volumes of water.

David

That’s a great idea. I’m going to try just water. It will also give me picture of where the low and high spots are before I add the resin.

This is impressive, I mean really impressive. Having done a number of dioramas, I feel a diorama should tell a story and not just be something to look at and admire. I'm a bit late to the party so I apologize if this is too late. How about an older weathered pickup taking a whiskey still into the woods along with the appropriate supplies and it has a flat tire? Maybe it was abandoned there or the driver and passenger are looking off into the distance in different directions watching for the law?

How about adding a bird and some bird poo on one of the bridge I beams? I like add a small representation of a living creature, a well hidden squirrel in the leaves gathering nuts for the upcoming winter. It is fall after all.

Are you planning on putting insulators on your power poles and running wires?

Edited by gasser59

45 minutes ago, gasser59 said:

This is impressive, I mean really impressive. Having done a number of dioramas, I feel a diorama should tell a story and not just be something to look at and admire. I'm a bit late to the party so I apologize if this is too late. How about an older weathered pickup taking a whiskey still into the woods along with the appropriate supplies and it has a flat tire? Maybe it was abandoned there or the driver and passenger are looking off into the distance in different directions watching for the law?

How about adding a bird and some bird poo on one of the bridge I beams? I like add a small representation of a living creature, a well hidden squirrel in the leaves gathering nuts for the upcoming winter. It is fall after all.

Are you planning on putting insulators on your power poles and running wires?

First, thank you so much for your input. I will be adding a weathered vehicle to the scene once I’m done with all the terrain and scenery work. The bird poo and living creatures are a great idea. I will add it to my list of final details. I will also be adding lines to the pole and some signs. It’s my second diorama, so I have been struggling a bit with creativity, since I’m knew to modeling. Thank you again.

Small streams like yours vary the most during the seasonal wet and dry periods. Had two where I grew up and the smaller dried up completely half the time in mid summer while the larger became a much smaller flow down the middle.  Flow surface doesn't look like a raging torrent during drier periods in a stream with a gentle slope like yours appears to be. Water level can be quite low and tranquil while being easier to model in a realistic fashion. Lay a piece of Saran wrap in the stream bed if you want to keep the model dry during real water testing.

An example from a small woodland stream google search'''

Image result for small woodland streams images

1 hour ago, Flat32 said:

Small streams like yours vary the most during the seasonal wet and dry periods. Had two where I grew up and the smaller dried up completely half the time in mid summer while the larger became a much smaller flow down the middle.  Flow surface doesn't look like a raging torrent during drier periods in a stream with a gentle slope like yours appears to be. Water level can be quite low and tranquil while being easier to model in a realistic fashion. Lay a piece of Saran wrap in the stream bed if you want to keep the model dry during real water testing.

An example from a small woodland stream google search'''

Image result for small woodland streams images

Thank you for the reference photo and very useful information. I’ll try the water testing with the wrap.