Model Cars Magazine Forum

Over The Creek.

QbanFam

My second diorama in the make. I will give the techniques I used once I put everything together. I welcome criticism, opinions and tips. There will be a bridge over the creek and I’m yet to pick what vehicle to place over it. Will it be a vintage, classy vehicle or a truck? Thanks everyone and forgive the poor quality lighting. 

96F661E7-239D-4C52-BD5B-DB6CD3485B2D.jpeg

7FBFE7D1-44E3-4C86-B17E-C1515FA12A94.jpeg

2AB54897-904C-48E2-A08F-7EB1AE21A2C9.jpeg

FDB7C68D-A976-4F3D-90D1-3BAFEDAEF032.jpeg

DC1CE46C-349C-4DCD-AC93-0471F8ED340F.jpeg

E1BE5A02-A349-4266-B44B-43E9B10D4FEA.jpeg

DF9C84E9-73E3-4BB6-92C6-FD760FA1F1D8.jpeg

0C87CE9C-3175-4DF0-908C-ADFCD1757E72.jpeg

Edited by QbanFam
I think this height for the bridge is appropriate (Note: that wood board is not the bridge. Lol). Wondering if I should add rails or just leave it without to catch wheel details.

9 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Cool, another diorama you will build!  Building the bridge should be fun, you have a real one for an example?  I've done only one with water, need to check my notes to tell you the product, worked well for dirty flood water.

7600777376_635e80c545_o.jpg

That’s a very detail dio. Love the dirty water. I might go that route.

10 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

What is your end game with this dio ? Vehicle on the top level ? Unless you have a plan that requires that the layers of your raised area be visible when you are done, you might want to work on that area a little more. Over all look is very good so far.

misterNNL, thank you for the input. The raised area will be visible. The bridge will be a wooden one with steel I-beams. I purposely made the elevation low so that everything is captured. The theme of the diorama is mimicking a road trip. I will post more later with updates, with the bridge built.

17 minutes ago, QbanFam said:

misterNNL, thank you for the input. The raised area will be visible. The bridge will be a wooden one with steel I-beams. I purposely made the elevation low so that everything is captured. The theme of the diorama is mimicking a road trip. I will post more later with updates, with the bridge built.

Thanks,I look forward to seeing it finished.

2 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Weathered wood is looking very realistic. I was going to suggest possibly add a third I beam in the middle of bridge structure for added support but your second layer of wood adds a lot of strength to the look. Look forward to seeing the completed project.

I agree on the third I beam. The bridge is 24 feet length in real life scale. 

14 hours ago, Eshaver said:

Coming right along ! I do hope you will add some sort of a guard rail along the side

Thank you for Eshaver. I was undecided whether to add rails or not. But since you mentioned it I think it makes perfect sense to do so. Thank you, again. I’m adding updated photos right now. I’m currently working on this diorama, plus one I have on hold because my static grass applicator has not arrived yet.

16 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I am impressed with what you are doing here.  The wood weathering is very well done.

Thank you Gramps46. I weather the wood with vinegar in steel wool (I like when the vinegar has acquired the rusty color). Then I just do a couple of washes with either black or raw umber. Where the wood might be exposed to high leve of humidity I do some random green washes (I use pictures from the web as reference).

7 hours ago, QbanFam said:

Thank you Gramps46. I weather the wood with vinegar in steel wool (I like when the vinegar has acquired the rusty color). Then I just do a couple of washes with either black or raw umber. Where the wood might be exposed to high leve of humidity I do some random green washes (I use pictures from the web as reference).

Vinegar and steel wool, great idea.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, afx said:

I think I would just leave the car out of the diorama, it just hides the great work you did on the bridge.

Interesting. You made a great point. My intention was to make the vehicle the focal point but I guess that backfired. Lol. I could always choose a smaller vehicle in the 1/24 scale. Or just move the car back to show more bridge. Thank you for the observation.

I think maybe you do need a car in the scene Yordan, and as you say, simply moving the car back to show more of your bridge work is the way to go. One other idea might be to use a 1:24 scale motorcycle and not a car? There are plenty of 1:24 motorcycles to choose from and they don't cost much.

David

56 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

I think maybe you do need a car in the scene Yordan, and as you say, simply moving the car back to show more of your bridge work is the way to go. One other idea might be to use a 1:24 scale motorcycle and not a car? There are plenty of 1:24 motorcycles to choose from and they don't cost much.

David

I like the idea of a motorcycle. I didn’t think of that. Would it stand or would I have to modify it? Just wondering. I guess a vintage motorcycle, cruiser or touring, would fit well. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

I got an Atlas models 1954 Vincent Black Shadow for my 1:24 scale diorama and it does need a small block of wood to place under the foot rest to stop the bike falling over.

David

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Very, very nice. I love that model. 

28 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Your diorama is going to look fantastic when you get the water in..... and the real background just blends in nicely

David

Thank you. I’m super excited. To be honest. I was really afraid to start in this hobby, thinking I would just mess everything up. Turns out that’s just how I have learned. Lol. I already have my third diorama in my head. I want it to be a section of a city. I’m thinking of trying cobblestones and stucco walls for the building section. Then add a couple of scooters and a vehicle. I have a die cast  1950’s Mercedes Benz 300 SL (white color). I love what you have done in your diorama. Hopefully, some day I’ll be able to get your level of detail.