Model Cars Magazine Forum

'89 Mustang

Harold

Here's where I'm at so far. The engine was a total mess, so it was disassembles as much as possible, the seams were cleaned up and then repainted with Testor's Aluminum Metalizer. After the sealer dried, I masked off the trans and intake and painted the block body color. The chrome pieces were cleaned up, primed and treated to some BMF.

mustangengine1-1.jpg

mustangengine3-1.jpg

The body is (again) Duplicolor, and I should be throwing the clear on it this weekend.

HPIM0776-1.jpg

HPIM0774-1.jpg

Really like the color combo you used,how did you paint the taillights,?would like to build this kit, but the taillights are the stumbling block.from the pics looks like you have poseable steering ,how did you do that?

if i might take this one

the mustang i build (think it was a revell) had clear tail lenses but very nicely formed lines and very good insturctions on how to paint them

i used testor acrylics (might have be enamels though)

HPIM0136.jpg

HPIM0137.jpg

Any more progress made on this one? The green Cobra posted in this thread looks a little paintdull.........is that a trait of the Acrylics (I have never used them yet and was wondering)?

it is not per se a trait of the acrylics , but the paint is enamel

i think i diluted it 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner ?

it would have been more shiny if i had added more thinner

it is also not wetsanded or cleared

i did ok on the detail painting but it is not my best overal paintjob

still, its better then the ones i did before this one

back to you harold

The tailights on this one are the GT units (with the slats) and right now I'm trying to figure out how best to paint the buggers. I've painted the body color, and I'll probably use silver on each (dang there's a lot od 'em) opening ad then add the proper colors to them (red, amber, etc.). I'm just working up the nerve to do it. As for the steering, I extended the upper spring cups with sheet plastic, turning them into A arms. I then made spindles from 't' shaped sections of sprus. These were drilled at each end with a #62 bit (as were the upper and lower arms) and everything was attached with pieces of straight pins.

mustang5.jpg

mustang2.jpg

Thanks for the info on the Green Cobras paint..I know you said you were thinking it was acrylic but that it might have been enamal (car looks good).

Harold, nice progress on the chassis. As for your taillight quandry, you are on the right (albeit long and tedious) track to detailing them. There is no Amber in the 87-93 GT taillights, just Red and White; what makes it look slightly amber is the use of an amber bulb (most don't though, as the red just masks it anyway).

Thanks for the info on the Green Cobras paint..I know you said you were thinking it was acrylic but that it might have been enamal (car looks good).

now i understand the confusion

the cobra was posted as a reference for the tail lights (not realising they were different) so when i saif it was painted with acylics i was refering to the tail lights

the body however was painted with enamels

(i use both freely and however it seems most fitting at the time)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
the cobra was posted as a reference for the tail lights (not realising they were different)

sorta OT... :lol: the fox body cobras used LX style taillight lenses, the GT used the "window shade" taillight lenses.

Alott of stangers replace the GT lenses for LX lenses, since they (imho) give a much cleaner look to the back of the car.

You can also run clear turn signal area lenses, just with amber bulbs. :blink:

PS: don't forget to run a stripe of body color along the top of the silver, in that little indent. (about 2" @ 1:1 scale, below the top of the silver)

Nice looking fox - btw.

• 4 weeks later...
sorta OT... :angry: the fox body cobras used LX style taillight lenses, the GT used the "window shade" taillight lenses.

Alott of stangers replace the GT lenses for LX lenses, since they (imho) give a much cleaner look to the back of the car.

You can also run clear turn signal area lenses, just with amber bulbs. :blink:

PS: don't forget to run a stripe of body color along the top of the silver, in that little indent. (about 2" @ 1:1 scale, below the top of the silver)

Nice looking fox - btw.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 93 Cobras used SVO taillights, NOT LX tails as you answered. And to be more precise, they were 1984 and Early 85 SVO tails, as they were striped Black; late 85 and 86 SVOs were Charcoal in color. I own 5 Full sized Foxes, one being a 1984 GT Turbo (baby SVO), 3 being 4eyed.....the 4eye cars (1983-86) have the same tails as the SVO minus the striping.

Edited by whale392

LOL, Try 60+ hrs a week, I been working 7 days for the last month.

Just spent 24 straight hours on the clock this week, plus still worked my other 3 days (I work as an aviation mechanic third shift, 4 ten hour days a week).....I feel your pain.

Harold, thanks for keeping us Fox guys posted...hope you get it looking like you want it soon!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 93 Cobras used SVO taillights, NOT LX tails as you answered. And to be more precise, they were 1984 and Early 85 SVO tails, as they were striped Black; late 85 and 86 SVOs were Charcoal in color. I own 5 Full sized Foxes, one being a 1984 GT Turbo (baby SVO), 3 being 4eyed.....the 4eye cars (1983-86) have the same tails as the SVO minus the striping.

Like I said... "lx STYLE lenses" [you'll note they look identical to those in my LX, with the exception of the clear turnsignal area & amber bulb configuration (also as noted)]

When I specifically talked about the "LX lenses" I was talking about GT guys that r2 their windowshades for LX lenses (since the svt lenses are $)

Good to know about the diff between the early and late svo lenses, I didnt know they changed them.

Thanks for playing mustang trivia... we now return you to your regularly scheduled 1:24/5 scale thread.

Edited by ddonaca351

The SVO/Cobra lenses are very similar to '86 and earlier LX lenses, though. I've thought about using '83-84 GT taillights on my '87 GT. I always liked the taillights on my '86 LX. The '87-93 LX taillights were so bland compared to the earlier ones, IMHO..

My family are Fox Mustangs fans-- I've had an '86 LX and the '87 GT (had it since new), my brother has a '79 Indy Pace car, '82 GT, and '86 GT, my Mom had a '80, '85 GT, and an '89 LX 5.0. I'm thinking about getting a '10 GT convertible in 2010 for my 40th birthday.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 3 weeks later...

83-86 LX and GT tails are the same.........no difference. 87-93LX tails have the large one piece sides and the black seperation through the red bottom/clear/white top 3/4 the way through the lens. The 83-86 had the black seperation all the way across the lens, and the red/amber/clear coloration on top. 83-86LX and GT tails are no different from one another....the only difference being the SVO tails (with 6 1/16th inch stripes added, 3 up top, 3 on the bottom). 87-93GT tails were the ugly cheese-grater style and most sane people changed them out for 87-93LX units, or the 83-86LX/GT pieces. 93 Cobras got the SVO style.

Now, the 79-82 tails are the square block style with the endcaps being black. Contrary to belief, the car body and the wiring harness have to be modified to put 83-93 tails into an early (79-82) Fox and vise-versa. (Yes, I am a Fox Mustang guy!)

Any more progress on this one?

P.S: We now return you to your Fox build, already in progress.