Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have experience with either of these compressors?

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to purchase my first airbrush and compressor real soon. I've already decided to start with the Paasche H for my first airbrush, but am a bit undecided on the compressor. I've narrowed it down to the two pictured so if anyone has any experience with either one, I would be much appreciative of your input. It will be used in my house, so the quieter the better. Thanks in advance!

The first one is the Paasche DA300R that is 1/8 HP        pasda300r.jpg.2602c5e26688e90912aab6d7602cf037.jpg    61xH-NMd-NL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.8f6d365e9eea48b20ce3d72e68cfec0d.jpg

The second one is the California Air Tools CAT-1P1060SP Quiet Air Compressor     5c5c2cb4dc7d3_calcompressor.thumb.jpg.ac5dada5754ce5c566d33034ea59269e.jpg

If you're buying the Paasche H and entertaining any thoughts at all of using the #5 tip and needle then I would urge you to buy a compressor with a tank on it. Those CAT compressors are good, so are the Paasche but in that line you should get the one with a tank, which I believe is around $150 last I knew..

Incidentally the CAT compressor has the universal quick disconnect chuck on it. That plugs to a conventional hose nipple which is 1/4". Amazon sells a Paasche to 1/4 adapter then you can just use a regular conventional style air hose nipple with that to connect to the compressor. I have those in both Badger and Paasche because I use an 8 gal portable compressor that I have here for household " stuff".

Edited by Dave G.

3 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

The second one is the California Air Tools CAT-1P1060SP Quiet Air Compressor     5c5c2cb4dc7d3_calcompressor.thumb.jpg.ac5dada5754ce5c566d33034ea59269e.jpg

I bought one that looks very much like this (except blue) very cheap at a yard sale a couple years ago, just as a backup for my Walmart Campbell-Hausfeield. It has a small tank. Haven't airbrushed with it, but have used it to pump up tires and it worked great. Not too loud, either. 

Having airbrushed for about 30 years without a tank, I REALLY enjoy having a tank now and would not willingly go back. 

11 hours ago, Dave G. said:

If you're buying the Paasche H and entertaining any thoughts at all of using the #5 tip and needle then I would urge you to buy a compressor with a tank on it. Those CAT compressors are good, so are the Paasche but in that line you should get the one with a tank, which I believe is around $150 last I knew..

Incidentally the CAT compressor has the universal quick disconnect chuck on it. That plugs to a conventional hose nipple which is 1/4". Amazon sells a Paasche to 1/4 adapter then you can just use a regular conventional style air hose nipple with that to connect to the compressor. I have those in both Badger and Paasche because I use an 8 gal portable compressor that I have here for household " stuff".

Thanks for the info. Not sure what tip I will be using, trial and error I guess.

9 hours ago, cowboy rich said:

I would definitely go with one that has a tank, I remember reading good things about the CAT one. Have you checked the buying my first airbrush topic? May have some ideas for you in that one. 

Thanks, I'll make sure to check out your topic.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I bought one that looks very much like this (except blue) very cheap at a yard sale a couple years ago, just as a backup for my Walmart Campbell-Hausfeield. It has a small tank. Haven't airbrushed with it, but have used it to pump up tires and it worked great. Not too loud, either. 

Having airbrushed for about 30 years without a tank, I REALLY enjoy having a tank now and would not willingly go back. 

Thanks for the info Snake. One with a tank is definitely a must have.

16 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks for the info. Not sure what tip I will be using, trial and error I guess.

Most car models can be painted with any of the three tips actually. Even the #1 is larger than some people use in other brand brushes. Depends on the thinner used and ratio.

Only comment I have is to be sure the regulator, regulates. Meaning, that if you set it at 30psi, it should be a steady 30. Not that it drops as you use it. Many inexpensive compressors just have a gauge. Frustrating when you try to paint and notice the gun spitting. I added a true regulator to my unit and it keeps the psi constant.

22 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Only comment I have is to be sure the regulator, regulates. Meaning, that if you set it at 30psi, it should be a steady 30. Not that it drops as you use it. Many inexpensive compressors just have a gauge. Frustrating when you try to paint and notice the gun spitting. I added a true regulator to my unit and it keeps the psi constant.

Thanks for the info, I can see where that would be very frustrating.