Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1964 Impala

jjsipes

I thought I would take advantage of the little warmer weather here in Maryland this week since I've been working what seems like non-stop and try and get my 64 Impala painted. Primed with Tamiya Gray Primer and then a couple coats of Tamiya Maroon. Did go as well as I had hoped. Paint ran off high spots and panel seams. Guess I'll have to wait the cooler weather out and scuff and repaint. I like the color though. I started a 50 Oldsmobile with this color but after the first coat it looked like it was going to be purple looking but i was determined to see this one through for the color.

20190207_120611.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looks fantastic. 

I’ve had that happen many times with Tamiya Maroon. I’ve had it happen with the paint, and other times it happens after the clear is layer down. I wonder if other colors do it, but it’s just not noticeable? Not really sure but the maroon really sticks out. 

Jason, that paint is SUPER SLICK! This is one car that Revell IMO did get right as far as the body shape. Even better than AMT's '64 annual.

As far as the paint, cars with sharp edges like that can be tricky to paint. One trick I've used in the past is to take some 600 grit sandpaper and slightly knock down the edges. More than likely, that's where the parting lines were located (along the tops of the fenders) and that's where the sharper edges would be.

The same sorta goes for the door shut lines. I'll take a balsa wood block wrapped with 400-600 grit sandpaper and try to make the door lines as even as possible by leveling the troughs from the molding process. Certain Tamiya colors I don't think the pigments are as tight as others and they tend to want to 'draw away' in spots.

Keep up the beautiful work! B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Went looking for reference pictures for 64 Impala interiors with Maroon body and kept coming up with Black. Didn't really want Black, wanted something that would pop with the Maroon paint. Found this and liked it. 

9328221-1964-chevrolet-impala-std.jpg

Went to local Hobby Lobby to see what could be had for paint and found Krylon Almond. Not to bad.

No photo description available.

Edited by jjsipes

1 minute ago, jjsipes said:

Went looking for reference pictures for 64 Impala interiors with Maroon body and kept coming up with Black. Didn't really want Black, wanted something that would pop with the Maroon paint. Found this and liked it. Went to local Hobby Lobby to see what could be had for paint and found Krylon Almond. Not to bad.

Looks nice!

Personally, I would use a pale champagne gold for the dash and steering wheel, a darker gold embossing powder for the carpet and the almond for the upholstery.

Steve

I remember seeing a few of the dark red or marron Impalas with this colored interior. Black seemed to be a norm when the person ordering the cars for inventory had little or no imagination. There are a few web sights that have information on OEM colors for the bodies as well the interiors. This was at a time when they would build cars with just about any color combination you wanted. That was fine if you were ordering a car but most were biught off the lot and what ever the dealer ordered is what you got. 

34 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Looks nice!

Personally, I would use a pale champagne gold for the dash and steering wheel, a darker gold embossing powder for the carpet and the almond for the upholstery.

Steve

That was my thoughts as well.

Dug out my Tamiya Champagne Gold and sprayed my dash and steering wheel. Not to sure about this. I also dug out my Champagne Embossing Powder for the carpet that will work great. Need to foil door panels first then apply the embossing powder to the lower portion of the door panel and kick panels

4 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Dug out my Tamiya Champagne Gold and sprayed my dash and steering wheel. Not to sure about this. I also dug out my Champagne Embossing Powder for the carpet that will work great. Need to foil door panels first then apply the embossing powder to the lower portion of the door panel and kick panels

Looks great as far as I'm concerned.

Dashboards in these old cars rarely matched the rest of the interior.

They were usually within the same color family, but often the steering wheel and lower dash would be a slightly different color than the upper dash pad, and depending on the overall interior color, completely different from the rest of the upholstery.

It's this kind of variation in color that can lend true realism to the finished product, rather than a monotone look.

Steve

2v2EstR5gxwUbWP.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 8:21 AM, jjsipes said:

Went looking for reference pictures for 64 Impala interiors with Maroon body and kept coming up with Black. Didn't really want Black, wanted something that would pop with the Maroon paint. Found this and liked it. 

Went to local Hobby Lobby to see what could be had for paint and found Krylon Almond. Not to bad.

I will have to remember that- Krylon Almond looks like a nice color that will be at home with a number of exterior colors. It looks good here.