Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Best "Bud's" in building.

It never ceases to amaze me that in a hobby so competitive, and nearly all "Testestarone "laidin guy's, that I can find men that are some of my best friend's ever - even after they get to know me :o. Probably the biggest surprise, including people here I've made friends with.

This is a great hobby and I love to build with a passion, but the friend part is the best for me.

Even when I was a kid, Ronnie Brown and I spent hours building and competing together. Sometimes he won. Sometimes I did, but the best was we were friends first and we knew it.

Fast forward "just a few years" :) - LOL. Bob Paeth here in Portland is amazing. Wayne who was part of SABA for years here in Portland, and a fantastic friend and builder, moved to Florida, but still a "Keeper.

Jack and Chris down in Coburg near Eugene, a hundred miles from me, are simply the best. We meet periodically in Salem, a half way point and do lunch to keep up,and do contest's together down there as well as her in Portland.

We've done the GSL several times together, and it's not so much about the contest or winning, as it is about being guys, and "bein stupid", tellin lies and eating way too much of some of the best food we found, in Salt Lake City.

Hope you enjoyed this.

I'd love to hear some stories about some of your best "Bud's. ;)

Edited by Treehugger Dave

:rolleyes: Dave, My best friend when I'm modeling, is Fred, my Westie. He lays at my feet, or sits on the extra chair at my desk, right beside me. He never critisises my work, and seems to be just as happy as me when we're workin on a model. He is not just a pet, but my best friend too! If it hadn't been for him, retirement might have driven me crazy! We go for walks, and he rides with me when I can let him.Yep, we get along great,and we always seem to see things the same way! He's my best bud! :lol:

:rolleyes: Dave, My best friend when I'm modeling, is Fred, my Westie. He lays at my feet, or sits on the extra chair at my desk, right beside me. He never critisises my work, and seems to be just as happy as me when we're workin on a model. He is not just a pet, but my best friend too! If it hadn't been for him, retirement might have driven me crazy! We go for walks, and he rides with me when I can let him.Yep, we get along great,and we always seem to see things the same way! He's my best bud! :lol:

Hey Grorge :blink: That's very cool.

I love West Highland terriors. I grew up with Scotties".

Now, I got an Orange 'Garfield" tabby name "The Baxybrat" (Baxter)

He never bugs me unless he likes what I'm eatin'. That's usually always LOL :D

Thanks for sharing - dave

Hmmm, besides all you great guys here? My gray haired buddy DC, (Darn Cat), who sits either at my feet or under my chair while I'm building. ;):blink:

My wonderful wife is also a good sounding board for ideas, colors, paint schemes & the like.

If I can ever make a meeting of the closest model car club to me, (Nebraska Autos In Minature in Bellevue NE), I know I'll make some new modeling buddies. The trouble is, Bellevue is an hour away from where I live. :rolleyes: However my wife might be getting a job transfer to Omaha which is right above Bellevue, (Bellevue's kind of a surburb of Omaha), so we shall see.

:D

Hey Bluesman :lol: Good to hear from you.

Is that your "Bud" in your quote picture :blink: ?

Good luck on getting closer to Bellvue. I hope it works out for ya :D

Best build buds ever are my late father, my nephew Justin and my 8 year-old daughter.

But, I've made some OUTSTANDING building friends through local clubs and contests. To name a few names, in no particular order:

Art Anderson, Bill Zeihen, Jeff (J.J.) Johnston, Jeff Watlington (Time machine resins), Lance Jasper, Jim Casassa, Chuck Ryan, Mark Harper, Viper Dave McGaughey, "Chopper" Lear, Okey Spaulding, Tony Franklin, Randy Meyer, All the members of SCIMA, and a bunch of others that I'll remember as soon as I submit this post.

About eleventy billion great guys I've talked with/traded parts with on message boards. Some of whom I'm planning to met up with before too long.

Also- fairly new to my fold, but coming hard: Great guy, full of enthusiasm- MCM forums own Abe Dooley!

my best friend in the world and best building buddy's name is Mr Coors Light !!!

he's a great friend in that he never nags me , hes always willing to listen to my problems and he always there for me.

but he has a few downfalls. I have to be careful not to have him around me too much at the workbench because he will wreck a model in a heartbeat and I just cant take him anywheres because he will try and interfere with my driving.

but overall he's one of those great friend's that you can take in small doses . B)

From the days of glue slingin' to what passes for current day model building, in my 50 years of modeling I have had many "model" friends and I cherish them all. But, if I'm reading it right, to answer your question about "Best 'Bud' in modeling" narrows it down to just one. And that could only be my kid brother Jackie Sims. He goes by the handle "Gator" here and on the many other boards he posts on, both full size racing and modeling.

He has a reputation for building some of the finest dirt track cars around and may drivers, owners and fans have his work gracing their trophy cases and mantles. I count myself fortunate to be counted in that number as well as blessed to have been able to be associeated with him eversince before he was "housebroken" LOL

While he usually builds dirt cars, here is a Jack Smith Pontiac he built for me along side my Banjo Matthews #94 Pontiac. From the '40's to last week, nobody builds a nicer stock car than Gator. I may be just a little predjudiced but I thing his car speaks for itsself.

62pont4794.jpg

My best friends in the hobby?

First would be my wife who supports it, and gives me honest opinions with interest.

Second would be my local hobby shop owner, Brian. Who is always ready, willing and able to get me what I need.

And lastly would be my friends on this forum and on two or three other forums. Before the internet, modeling was mostly a solo gig with occasional meetings with like minded folks. Now it is a very social hobby that I appreciate very much.