Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford race hauler

So, this has been rattling around for what seems like forever. I built the frame and engine, then built the body, chose a color, and painted the thing. Well, that’s where things went off the rails, haha. The cab and hood came out nice, but the hauler body turned into a train wreck. So, in the pond it went, for about 8 months. Couldn’t get all the primer off of it, and what was left had fish eyes and all sorts of funny looking spots on it. So I let it soak more, and at one point decided to toss the cab and hood in as well. So, not too long ago I decided to pull it out of the pond and asses the situation. Cab and hood were clean, hauler body still a train wreck. What to do I asked myself? After some thought, I figured, let’s try some ‘stuff’ I haven’t tried yet. Broke out the tamiya powders and had at it. So far, I like it, but it’s a work in progress. Still need to dirty up the hood and wheels/tires, but I putter with it in between stuff. Here are some mock up pics of where it’s at ( cab/hood is just tossed on to complete the look as it were)

476BCC1F-38F3-4E1D-83EC-55DC785E215F.jpeg

B229431F-936A-4454-9EA7-C61CAEB42EB7.jpeg

4E0CAC85-A742-4777-B977-D853177A2387.jpeg

CD6C10D6-F78C-49FD-84DB-B690571D628D.jpeg

9123AE04-8605-46B7-8C2F-52C7B0125579.jpeg

Funny you say that ( our earlier conversation aside), I’m thinking of doing one of the AMT ‘old pro’ nova kits in flat black and putting it on the back of this eventually. Want the whole build to look like a shoe string budget race set up when done.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, have decided to finish this finally, been chipping away at it, but now bench is clean ( no, I actually cleaned the bench ), so I am committed to getting this done. Interior pic was taken a bit ago, second pic is the rig actually physically on the bench....., need to finish it for a show on November 24.

5558D34A-46D5-49DF-95F0-6EA40A5496C0.jpeg

C22A6AF7-63F1-45C9-B5EC-185491DC9C06.jpeg

Edited by tbill
Added info