Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Chevrolet Impala SS 409

mrmike

Every year, the Classic Plastic Model Club holds a Club Challenge for our annual Club Exhibition in October.  This year it is box stock with any finish you want.  My project for the Club Challenge will be the Lindberg 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS 409.  My paint will be Model Master Flame Red with a matching red and white interior.  I did a spray out on a plastic spoon to get a sense of what the color actually was, since I have seen several shades that range from bright red to almost a maroon and they are referred to as Flame Red.  The color is a little dark, but I like it.  Time to start is now.  If I wait until the last minute, it'll never get done.

More to come...

SS40901.JPG

SS40902.JPG

SS40903.JPG

Thanks David!  My first thought was that the color would be too dark as I have seen several pictures of this color all labeled as Flame Red.  The color varied from a bright red to a maroon and I wasn't too sure about the paint until I tried it on a spoon.  This is the color for this Chevy!

Thanks Greg!  I usually post three pics at a time.  I'm not one of those people who takes a pic, move a few degrees and take another pic, move a few degrees and take another pic, etc, etc, etc.  Hopefully, when I do take a picture of will include what I have done to the model at that time.  

15 minutes ago, mrmike said:

I usually post three pics at a time.  I'm not one of those people who takes a pic, move a few degrees and take another pic, move a few degrees and take another pic, etc, etc, etc.  

Trust me, I truly appreciate this approach! The quality of the pictures should prevail, not the quantity.

I got tired of polishing my Bullitt Mustang and the '70 Charger R/T, so I decided to start a little assembly of the 409 CID engine.  One thing I didn't like about this engine was that the oil filter was moulded with the oil pan.  I used a P/E saw and removed the oil filter.

More to come...

SS40904.JPG

SS40905.JPG

SS40906.JPG

2 hours ago, espo said:

At that time Chevrolet still used a semi gloss black canister with the filter cartridge inside.  

My '64 Impala SS had the same arrangement on its 327 cubic inch engine. As I recall, the housing was straight, not tapered. The decal looked like this

Image result for chevy oil filter decal

Edited by BigTallDad

mrmike,

and anyone else for that matter. Before you toss out your color of paint you might want to shoot your color over a white primer. It’s an old car painters trick I learned from my dad years ago. Simply light colors and warm colors shoot over white it makes the color more vibrant.

Also the paint colors would very a bit from day to day during assembly (atmospheric conditions).

It looks good so far, keep it going.

Best Regards 

Edited by carnut

BigallDad is correct on the Oil Filter canister. I don't recall when GM started using the spin on type filter but I think it was in the early '70's or late '60's.

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thank you Ray!  The tapered canister was part of the kit and I can't change it.  I have to use what's in the box.  

Thank you Michael, but I already knew that primer color can change the shade of your basecoat.  

Who is to say you can't sand it to correct the inaccuracy much like the body mold lines ?  

The rules for building Box Stock in the Club Challenge state that I can correct any manufacturers defects and while the shape of the part has a slight taper to it, it is not really a manufacturers defect and therefore, cannot be altered.  You really have to look at the part to see the taper and once painted, decaled and installed, the taper does not show.    

Edited by mrmike

I got the 409 CID assembled and decaled.  I assembled the stock wheels and tires.  The American Racing mags are for after the Club Challenge and will replace the stock wheels and tires.  I just need to find a set of tires in the parts box for the mags.

More to come...

SS40907.JPG

SS40908.JPG

SS40909.JPG

I rummaged through my parts box and found a set of Goodyear GS-C Eagles for the American Racing mags.  But, after looking at the mags, I need to clean them up some as I was a bit sloppy painting the spokes.  The body and associated parts are now in a coat of Dupli-Color White Primer.  Now for a some light sanding.

More to come...

SS40910.JPG

SS40911.JPG

SS40912.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

While I had the paintbooth up and running, I painted the Impala with Model Master Flame Red Lacquer.  I painted the chassis with Rustoleum Painters Touch Semi-Gloss Black.  It's a touch glossy and tacky, so some time in the dehydrator is in order.

More to come...

SS40913.JPG

SS40914.JPG

SS40915.JPG

Well, my bad painting luck has returned!  The paint cracked on top of the primer.  I think I'll strip the paint and start all over again with the same brand primer and paint.  This is the chassis and it is supposed to be semi-gloss black and it looks like gloss black.  This is enamel paint, so I'll have to clear coat it with Acryl Semi-Gloss Clear.

More to come...

SS40916.JPG

SS40917.JPG

SS40918.JPG