Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Chevrolet Impala SS 409

mrmike

Seems like the primer would seal off anything from the plastic getting to the lacquer.

I once had a problem with MCW paint. It wrinkled up something awful. I stripped it,

cleaned the body really good, used the same primer, and the same paint.

(I'm a sucker for punishment.)

The second spray down went well, and it's in the display, now.

That was over ten years ago. Still looks good.

Before I abandoned this project, I'd strip the paint and reshoot it, again.

A fellow Club member had a simular situation with a Lindberg '66 Chevelle where the paint he used (lacquer) was still tacky after several weeks of drying.  He bought another kit made in a different batch and he didn't have any porblems with paint and he used the same can of paint.  Based on his experience, I am drawing my own conclusion that I am having the same issues due to the type of plastic used.  Just for the heck of it, I coated a spoon with primer and then I'll paint it with the Flame Red lacquer paint and then we shall see if it was the plastic body or the paint.

Interesting Mike.

Waiting on the edge of my seat for the results. I have read so many possibilities of the cause my head is spinning.

One solution would be to strip it back then seal it with 2prt poly, if you have any. 

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Why not use Tamiya primer with Tamiya paint? There is a good chance that you have a bad can of Taniya paint if it smells funny...

Carl, I used Model Master White Primer with Model Master Flame Red Lacquer paint.  

2 hours ago, Rider said:

Interesting Mike.

Waiting on the edge of my seat for the results. I have read so many possibilities of the cause my head is spinning.

One solution would be to strip it back then seal it with 2prt poly, if you have any. 

Curtis, I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for the results.  It'll be a while before I can get back to the experiment.  I don't have 2-part poly, so sealing is out of the question.  Like I said before, the kit has been boxed up and put away.  I have too many things going on right now...

Well guys, I conducted an experiment today using a white plastic spoon, Model Master White Primer, Model Master Flame Red Lacquer paint and I painted the spoon.  The spoon is completely dry to the touch!  Just like I thought, the plastic body and hood that is in the old Lindberg kit was the culprit for tacky paint.  Just for the heck of it, I painted the other side of the spoon with just the paint and it is completely dry to the touch.  

On June 22, 2019 at 8:40 PM, mrmike said:

Well guys, I conducted an experiment today using a white plastic spoon, Model Master White Primer, Model Master Flame Red Lacquer paint and I painted the spoon.  The spoon is completely dry to the touch!  Just like I thought, the plastic body and hood that is in the old Lindberg kit was the culprit for tacky paint.  Just for the heck of it, I painted the other side of the spoon with just the paint and it is completely dry to the touch.  

Got to be frustrating ....

Yes, it is frustrating!  I have had two other people elsewhere tell me that there was crazing of the plastic on my first attempt at painting the Impala, and I know for a fact that there wasn't any!  I have lost interest in building this kit.  Everything is back in the box and the box is on the shelf.  I'll work on it some other time when I regain interest in it again.

At the very least you now have a definative cause. For what it's worth  I appreciate  you taking the time for posting and sharing all your troubles and findings.

Too bad mailing/shipping is soooo dam ridiculous I'd gladly seal it for you with 2part poly and send it back to you. 

Edited by Rider

5 hours ago, mrmike said:

Yes, it is frustrating!  I have had two other people elsewhere tell me that there was crazing of the plastic on my first attempt at painting the Impala, and I know for a fact that there wasn't any!  I have lost interest in building this kit.  Everything is back in the box and the box is on the shelf.  I'll work on it some other time when I regain interest in it again.

I dropped mine on the floor and parts went all over. I'm still looking for a few, so mine is back in the box for the second time.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:47 AM, Rider said:

At the very least you now have a definative cause. For what it's worth  I appreciate  you taking the time for posting and sharing all your troubles and findings.

Too bad mailing/shipping is soooo dam ridiculous I'd gladly seal it for you with 2part poly and send it back to you. 

Thank you Curtis for the offer.  I appreciate it, but much as I wanted this build to come to fruition, it wasn't going to happen.  Too many thing started to work against me and the paint job was the final nail in the coffin.  I may come back to it someday.

20 hours ago, Johnt671 said:

I dropped mine on the floor and parts went all over. I'm still looking for a few, so mine is back in the box for the second time.

I hope you can find all your missing parts, John!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it has been about 4 weeks since I last posted about the '61 Impala SS409.  Just for the heck of it, I placed the model into a plastic box and covered it completely with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner and I left it for a week.  I removed the model from the box last week and using a stiff bristle brush and Dawn dish detergent, I removed a good share of the paint.  At some point and it will be much later, I'll sand off the remaining red Model Master paint, reprime with Dupli-Color White Primer and repaint with Dupli-Color Light Blue Metallic.  Then we shall see if the paint dries completely.

SS40934.JPG

SS40935.JPG

SS40936.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Remember me?!!!  The '61 Impala SS409 was put away after I decided to strip the Flame Red paint since it had remained tacky to the touch.  It has been out of sight, but not out of my mind.  Tonight, I pulled the Impala off the shelf and started sanding and removing red paint from wherever I could...and I still have a long way to go.  I am going to use Dupli-Color Light Blue Metallic for the body and interior.  My goal is to have matching '61 and '62 Impalas.  I have a '63 Impala SS in the stash and that will get the same color paint as the '61 and '62 Impalas.

More Impala to come...

SS40937.JPG

SS40938.JPG

SS40939.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I primered the '61 Impala this morning with Dupli-Color White Sandable Primer and then I tossed everything into the dehydrator for the next 8+ hours.  I had painted the wheel cover edges with a red Sharpie and the blue Impalas had black rims.  I repainted the edges in black.

More Impala to come...

SS40940.JPG

SS40941.JPG

SS40942.JPG

Thanks Bill!  Weird is right as I have never had a problem like that before.  A friend of mine had the same prolblem when he was building a Lindberg '66 Chevelle SS 396 years ago, so we must have had the same plastic in our kits.

Looking good! I only use Duplicolor or Tamiya spray cans, I've tried others but had problems, so stick with what works! I do have ONE suggestion for your beautiful Chevy, somehow make those rims fit deeper into the tires if you can, and you can! It's one of the things that always bothers me, wheels not seated properly into the tire, it's the kit manufacturer's fault, but as modellers, we can make it better.