Model Cars Magazine Forum

How cold is it where you live?

drag racer 15

Last night it was 36 degrees here, with huge downpours of rain and thunderstorms.  Not just-passing-thru storms, either.  These were shake-the-house thunder and light-up-the-whole-sky lightning storms. And they went on nearly all night.

Thunderstorms in FEBRUARY?  That's extremely weird.  We usually get those kind of storms in summer. 

Windy as all get out here today and only in the 20's. They said 40 - 50 mPH winds with gusts to 60 and 70 mph. The windchill has to be brutal. Was standing at the back deck door and all of a sudden the grill flew to just the edge of the deck. Grabbed my coat and secured that baby down. Driveway is a 3 foot drift now but no sense in clearing it until the winds die down. Ben is anxious to go out and play "Chuck It" but not now.  So how are the rest of you doing?

Crazy high winds here since late Saturday night...40-65 mph wind gusts...power was out a couple hours yesterday morning.  Lots of tree branches down.  Snow from last week melted.  Sounds like February is going to go out harshly and March will come in the same way..

Duane Drew in Minnesota was posting photos on Facebook of 5 foot snow drifts up against his house, nearly covering the windows. He said the snow was hard surfaced and you could walk on top of it.  Glad I'm not there.

Here in the Philly burbs, it snowed on Wednesday like gangbusters. We got 3-4" that covered everything.  And then it turned to rain, and the temperatures soared into the 50s. All the snow was gone within 24 hours!  

The past 24 hours it's been very windy, although sunny and in the mid 30s, with a wicked windchill.  You could hear the wind overnight, the news said gusts to 50 mph and showed a lot of local chaos with wires down, power outages and a few trees through house roofs.

We get a very strange effect here.  We live on the high point of our area, on  Watch Hill.  Supposedly this is where Colonial forces sat and watched for British movement down in Great Valley.  We are on the down slope side,  so the wind must hit the other side of our mountain, then fly right over us!  We hear horrendous winds, but nothing on the ground moves!  Last night my wife was looking out the window and she said she could hear the wind but the trees weren't moving. It's spooky!

A summer ago we were sitting out by our pool and we saw a quick storm coming in.  We went into the house and the skies opened up, thunder and lightning, wind  and a downpour that lasted maybe 15 minutes.  Once that was over we went back to the pool and one of the huge trees at the back of our property had come down.  The tree next to it lost the entire top and all that wood was sitting on the ground!  That wind off the mountain had no doubt swooped down in that exact spot and nailed those two trees!   Now the spooky part... nothing else was touched.  Empty beer cans we left on the edge of the pool were still sitting there! 

We're all having a day of it in one way or another. I've never seen the wind this strong here. A constant roaring and the siding is dribbling. Hope the siding and shingles stay put. Too funny about the beer cans Tom. If they were full it might have been another story. 

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

I didn't know Arizona got snow. Is it unusual?

No, I live about 5,500 feet, but we haven't had a real winter for years.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Can I have your pickup?  Looks nice and rust free!   

LOL  Sorry no, I just got it a couple weeks ago to replace a '69 that I sold.  And it does have rust, just not much on the body panels.

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Prescott got dumped on.  Flagstaff broke a record for amount in one day, and Snowbowl got 4.5' in this storm, total amount 22 feet!  But it's Arizona, it will melt off.

33305335458_dd893a616a_c.jpgMore snow by Kurt Womack, on Flickr

Where do you live? Mother in law used to live off of Willow Creek Road near the Safeway, Hastings, etc. She would have soiled her knickers to see that much snow!

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Yikes! What would the wind chill be then?

Windchill was around -38 this morning.

Cold I can deal with, but I hate windchill.This afternoon was only around -15, but with windchill it felt like -24. Ugly.

For funsies, everyone should go their app store of choice and download the WTForecast app. It's like your weather forecast, but it also expresses how we really feel about our weather. I love it. :P

59 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Windchill was around -38 this morning.

Cold I can deal with, but I hate windchill.This afternoon was only around -15, but with windchill it felt like -24. Ugly.

For funsies, everyone should go their app store of choice and download the WTForecast app. It's like your weather forecast, but it also expresses how we really feel about our weather. I love it. :P

That’s really cold Dan. Can’t imagine a day where it didn’t get above zero.

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

Where do you live? Mother in law used to live off of Willow Creek Road near the Safeway, Hastings, etc. She would have soiled her knickers to see that much snow!

You mean where Hastings *used to be*, it got torn down and a new Circle K is there.  I'm at 5,420 feet, the infamous Diamond Valley.

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

You mean where Hastings *used to be*, it got torn down and a new Circle K is there.  I'm at 5,420 feet, the infamous Diamond Valley.

Yeah, I heard that Hastings is gone.  :(

I haven't been there since summer 2012 when I was doing the final stuff to sell the house.