Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1932 Chrysler roadster

bbowser

On 5/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, alexis said:

Man, I hope, hope, hope that the Motor cycle makes it Back.

I'll need to order about 6 sets of tires too. All my MPC Chrysler and Lincoln kits need tires. Even the 1990's re-issues suffer from tire melt.

Alan and the rest...good news ahead.  

I now understand that the motorcycle is indeed included in the new kit release. 

Further background:  Early this year the Round 2 team did a pretty deep dive into the bike tooling and as part of that, they corrected some inaccuracies in the wheels configurations and added detailing to the headlamp lenses that was missing in the original kit version, as these parts had to be retooled from scratch.  At the time, they consulted me (others too, I suspect) on some of the elements of these redesigned parts.  In my case, I provided photography of the original (1966 kit issue) parts trees to help them determine where the cycle parts might reside in the tooling, as well as Concours event photography of similar Ace and Henderson restorations to help them in their decisions on how to configure the retooled wheels.  They also sent me screen shots of the CAD files of the proposed updates for my review. 

Don't want to unduly raise expectations here, but to be candid I was a bit surprised at the level of detail they went into while determining how to proceed on what are admittedly were very minor details in the big picture of things.   It is also a worthy counterpoint to the views held by some that all Round 2 does is reissue (***Insert pejorative noun or adjective here***) from ions ago.  Editorial comment:  Always good to hear both sides of the story before making up your mind on a subject....      

As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, while the bike tooling is relatively simplified vs. today's new tooling, with a little bit of paint detailing it can really come alive as a finished model.  And it frankly amazes me that this motorcycle tooling, which apparently remained unused since 1966 (that's 54 years, guys!) was still in existence and mostly complete.  Just makes you wonder what other ancient treasures remain in the Round Two tooling bank....

TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks for the update. I find it encouraging that Round 2 is trying so hard to improve their products. Sometimes it's something like this Motorcycle that will actually create a sale because a builder wants that for another model they're building or a diorama of some sort. I would lobby for the Canoe from the old Bonneville kit.  

On 5/4/2020 at 2:31 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

A small thing, but still nice, that they stopped calling a "roadster"

I agree. I have a version of this kit built up into a roadster but it took a LOT of work to get it there. This model us a convertible coupe. 

I just started read this thread. Boy is the above good news! I've got an unbuilt '32 Chrysler "Roadster" and Convertible Sedan. So I don't need another one. But, hearing the motorcycle is making a comeback in this next reissue, I'll be buying another one. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:49 PM, tim boyd said:

This is how it looks in a built-up form.  This was a glue-bomb resto with a couple of minor deviations but I also had an unbuilt kit beside me to guide me as I went along.  The roundel at the front was for the NNL Nats "Vintage Beach Racing" cult theme a couple of years ago...

DSC 0616

DSC 0617

For comparison purposes, here are photos of a similar 1/1 1930 Indian Ace Four taken at the Concours of the Americas at St. John's in Plymouth Mi, last summer.  

DSC 0437

DSC 0439

DSC 0438

DSC 0441

DSC 0443

DSC 0442

DSC 0440

Stunning job on bike model Tim. And I like the pictures of the real one too. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 8:48 AM, tim boyd said:

I now understand that the motorcycle is indeed included in the new kit release. 

On 5/12/2020 at 3:28 PM, Dave Van said:

did I miss info about the figures and other goodies???

Here's an edited screen grab showing the included extras:

sss.png.84567679cc6e157ccbb25217231cd72d.png

Maybe in his hurry Chad meant the TWO FIGURES.  Or the copywriter for his basic script made the mistake.  He said it at least twice.  I'd like the bike, but don;t think I want that kit again.  I've built it twice in my life and that's enough.  And as much as I'd like to have the figures finished, I just can't seem to get excited about building them.  I'm starting to amass a container full of body parts and figures.  

2 hours ago, randyc said:

Maybe in his hurry Chad meant the TWO FIGURES.  Or the copywriter for his basic script made the mistake.  He said it at least twice.  I'd like the bike, but don;t think I want that kit again.  I've built it twice in my life and that's enough.  And as much as I'd like to have the figures finished, I just can't seem to get excited about building them.  I'm starting to amass a container full of body parts and figures.  

Yes, it was a simple error on his part, so, moving on...

Glad to see the motorcycle return, as I know some members here have been very much hoping for that to be the case, and it does seem to fit Round2's recent attempts to re-include some long lost (go-kart, etc.) stand alone extras in a select (very) few kits.

Someone could make a few bucks offering alternate bodies for these kits, particularly closed bodies like a sedan or coupe.  Back when these were tooled, it was all about open body styles, with the sedans and coupes looked upon as no more than parts cars.  Attitudes have since changed.  The Chrysler is one of the better looking early Thirties cars.

I have seen a 5 passenger sedan locally ( a professor at one of the local higher ed institutions restored the car in his spare time) and it is a truly stunning car. Indeed a sedan transkit would be interesting,  though not a job for the feint of heart.  I'm looking forward to adding a couple of these to my collection. 

6 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I have seen a 5 passenger sedan locally ( a professor at one of the local higher ed institutions restored the car in his spare time) and it is a truly stunning car. Indeed a sedan transkit would be interesting,  though not a job for the feint of heart.  I'm looking forward to adding a couple of these to my collection. 

They're really great looking cars. The factory only did the roadster convertible, the convertible phaeton, the 5- and 7-passenger sedans. and a limousine. No coupes, victorias. 

There are a few custom bodied cars

A Custom Chrysler CL | The Old MotorA coachbuilder's own custom - Ralph Roberts' 1933 Chrysler CL ...A coachbuilder's own custom - Ralph Roberts' 1933 Chrysler CL ...