[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The theme for this year is Vans and I wanted something unusual so I remembered I had 2 Revell VW Westfalias in my stash. They aren't noted for speed, but we'll see! At lunch  last week I was looking for ideas and came across some old Audi and Porsche rally photos and found inspiration and worked out a plan. I'm supposed to be getting proficient in Word so I took that opportunity to design some decals using fonts and internet pics and so I came up with some I liked and used the Xerox to print them out on Microscale Laser paper. Just a couple of notes if you want to try this: Don't use inkjet paper in a laser copier. Luckily I researched that before trying! LOL. Also, the ink doesn't run, but you can still scratch it off if your not careful so clear coat it. The colors aren't spot on so you have to be flexible and of course they don't print metallics or white but it was fun to use my imagination at work!

vwvanAudi.PNG

vwVanAudi1.PNG

Here is a picture of the decal sheet. It took several hours to do but it counted towards training so win/win. Don't know if I will use them all, but it was fun doing.

VWVanDecals.PNG

That's cool, mixing work with your hobby!  Look forward to the finished model.  Do you know what the tow vehicle is?

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

That's cool, mixing work with your hobby!  Look forward to the finished model.  Do you know what the tow vehicle is?

I think it's a Volkswagen LT van. They're pretty cool!

The Vanagon from the factory is not fast, the air cooled (1980-1982) were slugs that had a bad F.I system. The 1983+ were the Waterboxers, they were better but still only 1.9l, and 2.1l. However, the aftermarket has come to the rescue. A popular swap for these things is a Subaru engine (EJ?) But, I have seem a guy in Tacoma Wa. install a Subaru H6 in one. I understand this thing is SCARY FAST! A friend took a ride in it and he about wet himself.

Good news is, swapping a Subaru, or even a Porsche engine in one is way cheaper to do in 1:24/1:25th scale then the real thing. Check this out, 230HP Vanagon!

See this: https://smallcar.com/conversions/the-230hp-vanagon-vx.html

Small clip from the article: image.png.51ec386aa68b7deb8296a512aafc452d.png

image.png.27af04fb9b52f62a5c14de4665620684.png

As a somewhat related note, I had a 1985 T3 Doka (double cab Vanagon pickup) that I did a TDI swap in. There is an easy kit for the 1:1, not so easy in scale!

Or if one wanted a fast factory van, just find the B32. Vanagon with a Porsche 3.2L flat 6!