Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tools recommend for resin kit?

That's an open ended questions that can get you many answers. Basic tools you'll need------A good PE cutter as there are certain cutters that are very good for cutting it away from the fret. I'd use those strictly for cutting that.......anything else can make them dull.

Make sure you've got plenty of 5 min. epoxy on hand. This size of a kit will need it and you'll need toothpicks and such to apply it. If you're a regular builder of models, there's really not much else different in the way of tools you'll need. Good Exacto blades, several types of glue depending on application besides epoxy (CA or "superglue", MEK liquid type glue).

Good set of tape for masking-----I prefer Tamiya tape. A bit more expensive but very effective.

It would be a good idea if you haven't done so to jump on the 'net and get as many reference pics as possible. MFH while their instructions are good, doesn't give you many pics of the real deal when it comes to detailing. This car of course changed from race to race, but it wouldn't hurt to still get as many close up pics as you can.

The biggest tool you'll need in your arsenal is patience! MFH kits are no joke especially in this scale as I now have one (Ferrari 250 GTO). You'll come across things that might leave you scratching your head, so don't hesitate to ask questions if something has you stumped.

If you're able, do post pics so that we can see where you may be having difficulties.

I'm sure others will jump on with more input, so stay tuned!

25 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

That's an open ended questions that can get you many answers. Basic tools you'll need------A good PE cutter as there are certain cutters that are very good for cutting it away from the fret. I'd use those strictly for cutting that.......anything else can make them dull.

Make sure you've got plenty of 5 min. epoxy on hand. This size of a kit will need it and you'll need toothpicks and such to apply it. If you're a regular builder of models, there's really not much else different in the way of tools you'll need. Good Exacto blades, several types of glue depending on application besides epoxy (CA or "superglue", MEK liquid type glue).

Good set of tape for masking-----I prefer Tamiya tape. A bit more expensive but very effective.

It would be a good idea if you haven't done so to jump on the 'net and get as many reference pics as possible. MFH while their instructions are good, doesn't give you many pics of the real deal when it comes to detailing. This car of course changed from race to race, but it wouldn't hurt to still get as many close up pics as you can.

The biggest tool you'll need in your arsenal is patience! MFH kits are no joke especially in this scale as I now have one (Ferrari 250 GTO). You'll come across things that might leave you scratching your head, so don't hesitate to ask questions if something has you stumped.

If you're able, do post pics so that we can see where you may be having difficulties.

I'm sure others will jump on with more input, so stay tuned!

Thanks a million, sir!

My bad that I failed to mention that I am actually pretty confused with the resin kit itself since it feels super hard to cut - then I found I might find something useful from home depot will go there and check tomorrow. Plus I am currently an international student so I actually have all my tools back in my hometown however I do want to cut and sand this 787B to kill some time. 

Anyway, thanks again!

Only caveat is that with resin, it doesn't sand/cut at the same rate as plastic. Resin can be more brittle and when sanding it, you'll notice that it sands/grinds away 'faster' than your average plastic kit. It also wouldn't hurt to wash any resin pieces, or wipe them down with alcohol.

One never knows what kind of process was done to remove the resin from the mold be it some type of mold release, or what have you. When it comes time for paint, any type of action that can ward off surprises is always a good thing! :D 

14 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Only caveat is that with resin, it doesn't sand/cut at the same rate as plastic. Resin can be more brittle and when sanding it, you'll notice that it sands/grinds away 'faster' than your average plastic kit. It also wouldn't hurt to wash any resin pieces, or wipe them down with alcohol.

One never knows what kind of process was done to remove the resin from the mold be it some type of mold release, or what have you. When it comes time for paint, any type of action that can ward off surprises is always a good thing! :D 

Considering the scale - 1/12, I have to say my 787B kit, particularly those car body parts- are very heavy and thick. But I think you are right - if resin has any chemical reaction with alcohol which I have no idea at all - but I'll be extremely cautious for sure. Thanks again!

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Also be sure to wear a good quality dust mask when cutting and sanding the resin, the dust isn't good for your lungs

Ahh...Thanks, I heard that too else where. I am actually having some coughing problem recently. huh...