Model Cars Magazine Forum

Waterslide decals-cleaning after application

1FF0283E-546A-452A-9479-208E0B6E7F53.jpeg.7c31e3e179a7dc3759df12f8cdd2ace9.jpeg

You have applied your waterslide decals, but notice that there is some water staining and dried decal glue residue. You want to clearcoat over the whole model, but are worried about this ‘staining’ showing through....

what’s to do? Should you just go over the model carefully with a damp cloth, avoiding the decals? 

Wash it under running water?

Obviously you would wait for the decals to be completely dry and set  before any further work...!

any creative ideas welcome, thank you.

I totally agree with the distilled water use for decals. If I remember correctly it was recommended in the kit instructions of a model I built as a kid! Don’t remember which one though! Has to do with dissolved minerals in tap water. Been using it ever since without a problem.

7 minutes ago, mitchy said:

Sounds like some common sense then.

I too use distilled water for all my painting and cleaning, which ensures little or no mineral deposits or chemical attack.

Thanks for the input

I've heard of modelers that use only  distilled water for wet-sanding. Also, there was an earlier mention of using paper towels; as an aside, Bounty paper towels are not made using recycled materials...just food for thought.

Back to the topic at hand, a soft 1/2 " paintbrush will also help with those "Stubborn stains". A bit of distilled water, a dab of dish soap, and you're good to go.

There was no mention if any decal setting solution was used. Those chemicals (often alcohol-based) can sometimes mar the paint surface and it will not wash off.  But as far as the decal itself goes, it is all water-soluble, so any glue residue should come off with just more water.

I also noticed that the paint onto which the decal was applied does not seem to be glossy, but more like satin finish.  Water-slide decals should ideally be applied to glossy paint surface.

Hi Petesky

you ard right, the paint is not gloss, but I have luckily escaped without any silvering. 

No decal serting solution applied, just distilled water.

Indeed, a good moist wipe has left the surface ready for clear coats.

Thank you all for your input

On 2/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, peteski said:

There was no mention if any decal setting solution was used. Those chemicals (often alcohol-based) can sometimes mar the paint surface and it will not wash off.  But as far as the decal itself goes, it is all water-soluble, so any glue residue should come off with just more water.

I also noticed that the paint onto which the decal was applied does not seem to be glossy, but more like satin finish.  Water-slide decals should ideally be applied to glossy paint surface.

If you use decal setting solution, DO take the time to wash the model before clearcoating. Learned this lesson the hard way--had solution runs and drips turn brown on a few model airplanes after ten years or so. If it smells like vinegar, clean it off after the decals are dry! :blink:

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If you use decal setting solution, DO take the time to wash the model before clearcoating. Learned this lesson the hard way--had solution runs and drips turn brown on a few model airplanes after ten years or so. If it smells like vinegar, clean it off after the decals are dry! :blink:

Good to know, thanks for the input!

• 3 years later...

I'm currently working with a model that has some large decals and I'm planning to clear coat it so I Google searched "cleaning model car with applied decals" and this came up.

This is very useful information and I'm glad I found it.

David G.