Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/ERTL 64.5 Mustang 1/16 scale

5 hours ago, Casey said:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/4/t/157254.aspx

There are multiple YouTube videos, too, but most are poor quality. Try a Google search using "AMT 1/16 64 Mustang" as the search term.

I found that to be the case myself, with YouTube videos. You'd think you could find one decent video or build log somewhere.

I had built that kit decades ago and was very disappointed at the lack of detail and simplicity of the overall execution. 

It has opening doors but a very rudimentary interior. Hardly any underhood detail and WIRE AXLES!?!

Good gravy!, their 1/25 scale Mustang has that much detail and it was tooled in the early 60s. I never bought another one of their 1/16 scale cars again after that.

I am actually currently building the AMT 1/16 model right now!  It's been 6 months now (I'm a slow builder).  I sprayed the body Ford Silver Blue Metallic (from Scalefinishes).  The interior is blue (Tamiya x4).  The interior is mostly done and I still have to spray gloss over the exterior and baremetal foil, etc.  At the rate I'm going, it'll probably be done in 2 months.  

It's a decent kit, but I was never crazy about AMT kits.  I think it may be lack of detail or the instructions.  I much prefer Revell for muscle cars.  (I received this for a xmas gift).

I don't have any photos of my build so far but I perhaps I'll upload some.

Like you, I couldn't really find any great build reviews, videos, etc.

I am building two of the 1/16 scale AMT '65 Mustangs now. Almost finished with the engines. I agree, very little interior detail and no detail on the front suspension-just the wire axle that runs through the oil pan. I'll post some pics later.

5 minutes ago, Safire6 said:

I am building two of the 1/16 scale AMT '65 Mustangs now. Almost finished with the engines. I agree, very little interior detail and no detail on the front suspension-just the wire axle that runs through the oil pan. I'll post some pics later.

Just curious, what exterior colours are you going to be painting them?

I'm building it for my wife. She had always wanted one in Red with white interior and since I can't afford to buy her a real one, well, this will have to do. I have a ford dealership here in town and going to see if I can get the actual red  to paint the body. As far as the interior, I have a page saved that give interior pictures and also paint colors so we will have to see how it plays out

https://www.quartoknows.com/blog/quartodrives/art-mustang-1964-12-hardtop

I find most of these older AMT 1/16th kits are short on detail in many areas. It's as if they just enlarged their 1/25th kits to the larger scale.

I also feel Monograms 1/12th series, '57 Chevy, '69 Camaro, and C2 Corvette are also short in a few areas, interiors especially. They do have great engine options, however.

2 hours ago, bluenote said:

Just curious, what exterior colours are you going to be painting them?

My two younger brothers had used '66 Mustangs back in the 1980's. One was red with a black vinyl top and black interior and the other one was blue with a white vinyl top with turquoise interior. I'm building the kits to match the cars as close as possible for their Christmas presents this year.

1 hour ago, webestang said:

I think I still have pics from when I built mine. If I locate them I can post them here if you like. 

Please do. It should ship tomorrow and will hopefully have it by the end of the week. I will put my "Big T" on hold while I build the Mustang. It's been a long time since I've built and the detail is big on the 1/8 scale so hopefully the 1/12 scale will get me back on the ball

7 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Here's the engine pic. The wires are so big they look more like hoses! Stripped the chrome off the air cleaners and will be painting them Ford engine blue.

Mustang engines.jpg

I have this kit in my queue, am well aware of the kit shortcomings but am ready to remove the ugly and add details to my level.

Of course, the windshield angle will have to get fixed, the suspension upgraded and some better tires/wheels (along with strengthening the body to support better hinges and open the trunk).

I feel the 1/16 scale kits are a neglected canvas with regard to detail and there are many opportunities to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

I just have so many other projects ahead of this one

Edited by blunc
add content

Did this kit sell in its last release? I think of AMT's 1/16 kits, this the one I disliked the most. The windshield and vent window look so wrong to me. I could never understand how they felt it was okay to release the kit originally, looking the way it did. The other AMT 1/16 kits I've been exposed to, looked much better. Details were not much better in AMT's 1/16 scale kits, then most of their older 1/25 scale kits. But the end results generally looked pretty good.

MPC's 1/16 1963 Corvette is a much better kit (IMO), detail wise than the AMT's 1/16 kits. That kit, and AMT's 1/16 1955 Thunderbird are two kits I'm waiting for Round 2 to reissue. 

On 2/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

I never liked how AMT handled the slope of the windshield, or the kit tires. Otherwise it was not a bad kit. If I had to do it again, I would like to try and correct the windshield angle.

This is the main reason why I never built the one I have and I've had it since the '80's. Yes, it would be a lot of work, but the car has never tripped my trigger for having the urge to build it. It's not a bad kit overall, it's that I can't get past that incorrect A pillar slope and then there's the overall 'emptiness' of the chassis that I'd have to do something about.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

That kit, and AMT's 1/16 1955 Thunderbird are two kits I'm waiting for Round 2 to reissue. 

Believe it or not, I've got like three of those T-Birds! Two that are built and very restorable and a never touched kit molded in white in its original box. Of the three, I'd restore the one as it's 'complete' while the other one is missing its fender skirts and doesn't have the stock wheel covers. One saving grace of ALL of them is that the windshield frames are nice and straight!

More often than not, just about every time I see these turn up on eBay, the windshield frame is woefully bent and there are instances where the sellers tried to 'hide' the bad frame or said nothing about it, but try to sell it as 'new and untouched'. :huh:

A buddy of mine has one of these.

A few years ago we started to compare it to the 1/25 kit to see where the windshield needed to be reworked.

We found that it's NOT JUST the windshield that's off,, it's the whole body from the windshield back with possibly the doors being a bit too long also. Like I said, it's been years so exact details are a bit foggy.

The roof is too far back, which makes the 1/4 panels and the trunk area off.

As far as we could see, it would take way too much work to put it right and he put it back in it's box instead.