Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/ERTL 64.5 Mustang 1/16 scale

22 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

A buddy of mine has one of these.

A few years ago we started to compare it to the 1/25 kit to see where the windshield needed to be reworked.

We found that it's NOT JUST the windshield that's off,, it's the whole body from the windshield back with possibly the doors being a bit too long also. Like I said, it's been years so exact details are a bit foggy.

The roof is too far back, which makes the 1/4 panels and the trunk area off.

As far as we could see, it would take way too much work to put it right and he put it back in it's box instead.

I AGREE STEVE, I ALSO FOUND THE FRONT EDGE OF THE C PILLAR TO STICK OUT TOO FAR INTO THE TOP DISHED IN AREA OF THE QUARTER PANEL. AS WELL AS THE ALMOST NON EXISTENT UPPER REAR DECK FILLER PANEL. 

I WOULD STILL LIKE TO TRY FIXING THIS, BUT IT'S NOT ON MY "GOTTA DO LIST"

40 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

A buddy of mine has one of these.

A few years ago we started to compare it to the 1/25 kit to see where the windshield needed to be reworked.

We found that it's NOT JUST the windshield that's off,, it's the whole body from the windshield back with possibly the doors being a bit too long also. Like I said, it's been years so exact details are a bit foggy.

The roof is too far back, which makes the 1/4 panels and the trunk area off.

As far as we could see, it would take way too much work to put it right and he put it back in it's box instead.

Interesting! I never looked at mine that closely to pay attention to that. Just the appearance of the 'too raked' A pillar was what's turned me off all these years. I wouldn't have the ambition at this point to even bother correcting all of that, so in the box it'll stay for the long foreseeable future. 

The kit I bought was open and a few parts glued togather. It also had the resin teardrop hood so I built it as a hopped up ride.

I stratch built, speaker grills, Dizzy, heavy duty shocks, exhaust tips and added plates. Didn't notice the roof at all but I should have filled in the rear fender wells. You can see clear through to the other side. 

XP5R6ow.jpg

45r7YfN.jpg

8w3ZtYC.jpg

zqIFfqr.jpg

JE8TVn2.jpg

0pT8bGV.jpg

Glueing the doors shut.
Rgs0A6U.jpg

Missing piece, cast in resin.
BywzA9W.jpg

Painted the letters. 1st time for that.
MilIoKo.jpg

Duel exhaust tips.
Nw68toh.jpg

Heater hose holes, reason I bought a pin vise.
vXB9KZ7.jpg

Interior less speakers grills, brown felt as carpet.
sREZFiZ.jpg

Used some wire I had in a box.

gVRdh6C.jpg
hX7yEEc.jpg

Edited by webestang

Scott Garascia did a great job on his Mustang above. But, the first thing, before see how nice his model is, distracting me, are those vent windows. Right away they jump out at me whenever I see one of these kits built. No matter how nicely done. I've seen the kit built were someone cut the vent windows out. Better. The slope of the windshield, IMO, does not looks as bad then. But, real '64 through '68 Mustangs have vent windows. So the lack of them is still distracting to me. 

It's a shame. If it wasn't for the that windshield slope/vent window problem, I could probably could over look most of the other issues with the kit. I do like the plain notchback Mustangs of that era. (Not as much as the convertible or fastback. But still, I like them.) So, the best version of that body style Mustang, in my collection, remains the AMT '66. 

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 9:40 PM, blunc said:

... am well aware of the kit shortcomings but am ready to remove the ugly and add details to my level

... to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

Lots of work needed for that :P

From some measuring I did a few years ago I found that the windshield needs correcting to a 40 degree angle from the 30 degrees it currently slopes. You're absolutely right, Steve; looks like that whole dang roof needs to move forward about a quarter inch. That would cure the windshield slope but those A pillars surely need some beefing up.  Seems to me that the wheelbase checked out okay but I'll have to see if I can dig up the measurements I took off a 1:1 to check the other proportions. Also hoping there's a 1/18 out there somewhere that might be a good source for some better wheels/tires.

mike

Edited by mk11