Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unusual Cobra 427

Gramps46

Recently I was given a Majorette diecast of a 427 Cobra SC in 1/24th scale.  What caught my attention first was the erect soft top, then the taillights, and then fuel filler cap.  And then there were the head lights which were tiny.  The taillights are the small double lights on some Cobras and the fuel cap was on the left side of the rear deck and not the right.  Then I turned it over and there was the real surprise.  To quote "This car is not manufactured by A.C. Cars LTD.  The use of the A.C. trademark is by permission of A.C. Cars Limited."  There is no mention of Shelby.

While not a particularly desirable diecast as executed by Majorette, it sure is an oddity.

100_1296.JPG.d02b7f9c34207ba71b1456f6e3cd6a10.JPG100_1298.JPG.2f49c221cbe54ef965b2bce75b55198c.JPG100_1299.JPG.7edaa539ea2007421293eb0947098593.JPG100_1300.JPG.815f4fc023dcd6e2fcbb499aa886c1e9.JPG

I'm guessing you already know this Gary.  However when the Shelby contract expired AC Cars had left over 427 bodies.  Rather than purchasing the expensive 427 they installed the 289 and sold them as an "Ace 289".  Rinsey Mills indicates  production was 27 cars.

Image result for rinsey mills cobra book

You are right JC I was aware but they did not do any SC types with side pipes and were right hand drive I believe.  This model is a real mix of features.   Oh I didn't mention, there is an engine with valve covers which say Powered by Ford and with an air cleaner the size of a garbage can lid!  I am beginning to wonder if the prototype for the model was an AC MK IV.

I know that there were some AC MKIVs (with side pipes and 2 small tail lights per side) produced in the 1980s by Brian Angliss and exported with dealers established here in the states including Muck Motors, perhaps our own Rick Muck.  Maybe he can join in.

2 hours ago, madhorseman said:

A while back I did find a Majorette GT40 on EBay. Just my opinion....is that it was not that bad, seen worse diecast.

I agree the Majorette GT40 is not that bad.  They have now released it in Gulf colors which is appropriate as it is the wide body version but it has no side windows included but the IMC  GT40 windows fit perfectly.

4 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I agree the Majorette GT40 is not that bad.  They have now released it in Gulf colors which is appropriate as it is the wide body version but it has no side windows included but the IMC  GT40 windows fit perfectly.

Good to know. I repainted one dark blue a log time ago.  Not any particular car - just has GT40 rocker stripes in silver.

11 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Good to know. I repainted one dark blue a log time ago.  Not any particular car - just has GT40 rocker stripes in silver.

I am trying to find a real wide fender one in red I can replicate with the one I just got.  Interestingly Majorette released 2 different versions because the rear ends are different.  I made the Gulf car from an early release before Majorette did.

100_1313.JPG.0d9ff1e8ad6424e3fb6a81cd411785df.JPG100_1316.JPG.88e5bbb10fc3eb40fe10c344af293ce6.JPG

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

I am trying to find a real wide fender one in red I can replicate with the one I just got.  Interestingly Majorette released 2 different versions because the rear ends are different.  I made the Gulf car from an early release before Majorette did.

100_1313.JPG.0d9ff1e8ad6424e3fb6a81cd411785df.JPG100_1316.JPG.88e5bbb10fc3eb40fe10c344af293ce6.JPG

I have a broken Gulf one (wheels broken off) but I can probably salvage it to do a gulf version since it is already blue but the rears are the same on both which is odd.

IMG_3891.JPG