Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
afx

64/65 Ford Falcon Hood

Looking for a '65 hood ('64 would work as well) with or without a tear drop hood scoop.  Trade or buy.

Southern Motorsports Hobbies has them (teardrop hood). I just ordered two. 

The SMH hood appears to be the AMT hood with the fuel injector hole filled.  The height of the tear drop appears to be exaggerated on the AMT kit compared to what was actually on the 1:1s.  Maybe I am being to particular?

1726__77443.1386963281.1280.1280.jpg?c=2Image result for 65 falcon afximage.jpeg.68dde0b2c124029445adf589d4777953.jpegImage result for 65 falcon afxImage result for 65 falcon afxImage result for 65 falcon afx

3 hours ago, afx said:

Looking for a '65 hood ('64 would work as well) with or without a tear drop hood scoop.  Trade or buy.

Any chance a '64 Fairlane hood would work?  I have a couple of the teardrop ones I would gladly part with.

The whole teardrop might be too big, but I don't care, I'm gonna use it. Beggars and choosers and all that. Was just glad to find anything, basically. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Southern Motorsports Hobbies has them (teardrop hood). I just ordered two. 

You didn't even give me a chance......:blink:

2 minutes ago, Khils said:

You didn't even give me a chance......:blink:

Get your thing today? You didn't email back after I sent the tracking number. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Get your thing today

Not yet.....checked my messages on my phone at lunch...know your "of your word" & yes, I forgot to acknowledge 

Let me see what I have after work.....send pics if I have anything of interest

4 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

Any chance a '64 Fairlane hood would work?  I have a couple of the teardrop ones I would gladly part with.

The Fairlane hood is not quite the right shape Hugh but thanks for the offer.

I solved my issue for the tear drop hood by modifying the Trumpeter:

AMT:

DSCN6042

Modified Trumpeter:

DSCN6040

I'm still interested in finding a stock hood however.

Got my hoods in the mail today. Just ordered them Monday, today's Thursday--you can hardly beat that for aftermarket parts!

The teardrop appears to be smaller than AMT's, but a little bigger than your Trumpeter's. But I'm very happy and WILL use them. 

Big Ups to Southern Motor Sports! B)

Got my hoods in the mail today. Just ordered them Monday, today's Thursday--you can hardly beat that for aftermarket parts!

The teardrop appears to be smaller than AMT's, but a little bigger than your Trumpeter's. But I'm very happy and WILL use them. 

Big Ups to Southern Motor Sports! B)

Are you using (1) on your AWB build?

7 hours ago, afx said:

Are you using (1) on your AWB build?

Yes. Will probably use them both, as they're fully enclosed and not "open" like the AMT hood. Will save me from having to fill it when I build my Daddy Warbucks. B)

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yes. Will probably use them both, as they're fully enclosed and not "open" like the AMT hood. Will save me from having to fill it when I build my Daddy Warbucks. B)

Please post a picture of the SMH hood in place on your build when you get a chance.

2 hours ago, afx said:

Please post a picture of the SMH hood in place on your build when you get a chance.

Will do next time I'm doing pics of that build, which should be after I paint the chassis black, which should be in a few days. B)

BTW, all three teardrops--AMT's, SMH's, and your Trumpeter--look bigger than the real ones. Looks to me like the Falcon teardrops were fairly small. Your Trumpeter hood looks closest.

I know the SMH one is not just an AMT with the hole filled, because if you do that to the AMT hood, the back of the teardrop will have to be squared off--it's too far back. The rear-end curve of this one is the right shape. 

BTW, all three teardrops--AMT's, SMH's, and your Trumpeter--look bigger than the real ones.

4 hours ago, afx said:

post a picture of the SMH hood in place on your build when you get a chance.

Have y'all considered the vacuum formed ones available from Star models??

0215191703.jpg

2 hours ago, Khils said:

Have y'all considered the vacuum formed ones available from Star models??

0215191703.jpg

Interesting! Hard to tell what size that one is, though. 

Actually I needed a whole hood, as I started with a glue bomb that's missing one. 

I've made my own vac teardrops using the hood in the AMT '66 Galaxie. Used a section of one of those to fill the hole in the teardrop in the AWB Mustang. THAT turns out to be a trickier job than you'd think, and I still don't have it smoothed in perfectly. 

I do have another Falcon teardrop hood. Got it a couple months ago from Model Car World, who now offers a '64 Falcon resin kit. He didn't want to sell me just a hood, citing "wear and tear on the whole mold," but reluctantly agreed because I was buying three other whole bodies/kits from him (over $100 sale). Didn't mention it previously because he probably won't do it for everybody. I'll have to dig that one out and see what the size looks like. If I had that, why did I buy the SMH ones? Because I have a couple NIB Falcon AWB kits and decided it was worth $6 to me to NOT have to fill that hole again. 

ETA: Dug out the MCW hood and looked at it. The bubble seems to be the same size at SMH's, but it's not quite as cleanly molded. I might be using THAT one on the glue bomb rebuild and save the better SMH's for the unbuilt kits. Don't get me wrong, the MCW hood is quite usable and acceptable, it'll just take a little smoothing sanding. 

Edited by Snake45

Note the orientation of the tear drop.

008_26_orig.jpg

Oh ick!

I remember seeing bolt on/bond on fiberglass teardrops in the JC Whitney catalog when I was a kid. They came in two sizes, small and large. 

I vacformed this teardrop around 1969. I forget what I used for the master, maybe a hood from an MPC '67 Mustang. 

Rev56Chev002.jpg.40d81a02758e426208932fa20b3261f1.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, afx said:

Pics of both the SMH and MCW hoods now posted in my Glue Bombs thread up in Workbench. B)