Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Shades of Chebby salt flat truck

looking very slick. I like the idea of having the exhaust exit through the license plate indentation. I suggest molding those headlight farings into the lower body profile. They are the only squarish feature on that front end. Thanks for posting your progress here for us to enjoy.

7 hours ago, misterNNL said:

looking very slick. I like the idea of having the exhaust exit through the license plate indentation. I suggest molding those headlight farings into the lower body profile. They are the only squarish feature on that front end. Thanks for posting your progress here for us to enjoy.

I’ve been tossing around how I want to do the front end on this. I’m still not sure on how yet... I thought of putting a valance across and under where the grille would be, I thought of not putting a grille in at all and just angling back a chin spoiler to top of hood as the engine will be mid mounted. Also thinking of not having any opening of any kind in n the nose for aerodynamics and such. 

Still trying to figure out the back of the cab too. Think I’ve came to the conclusion the opera windows will be filled in...

4 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

How 'bout a ?53 Studebaker style front end ?

May have come up with something. Just down in the model room picking through a bunch of my valances and came up with this idea...

Also found a nice part for the wing on it too. Has ribs for air flow! 

3174F8B1-17A3-4D2B-833D-BBCE45943738.thumb.jpeg.25509dca0487ecd8be59371884967486.jpeg

39E370CF-180A-4E0B-978F-58825DF9A7D3.thumb.jpeg.20c10c57f7f94ec75718db5d70bc591d.jpeg

3FD8AFC5-6214-49EE-9CE5-DECE8087F4DA.thumb.jpeg.a4f8138bfb6bcbab28f5c46722b9bec1.jpeg

83C98F77-3DEA-4BF5-B796-3E3CE4EC3EDB.jpeg

The front end part is from an S-10 I think. Flipped upside down. 

Edited by DrKerry

I agree,both pieces look good. You might consider extending the Chevy hood profile down and over that grille rather than create a ledge there. I would add some representation of hydraulic cylinders under the back side of that bed spoiler to make it look like it would be adjustable from in the cab at speed.

15 hours ago, misterNNL said:

So what's your plan for a power plant for this menacing beast? I would consider a " bad axe" turbo diesel inline six for another step into your wildside adventure. Would be kind of cool ya know.

Well....... LOL, shy look on my face,,,,, I wasn't going to put an engine in it Per Se.... It's being built as a slammer.... I am thinking of cutting out the tonneau area and having something up through it to look like it has a power plant. I thought at first of putting a blower through it with the exhaust out the back. Then I thought of just putting a aerodynamic scoop back there and that's it... The issue is there isn't much height to it and to put a full on engine in it it'll be valve covers up poking out... She's that low and lean.....

Just got done with the third, er, maybe fourth round of fill, sand repeat!!! Hoping to sand what I just put on the nose and shoot some primer on to see where I am at this point...

Edited by DrKerry

2 hours ago, misterNNL said:

You might at least give the people looking at your finished model something to scratch their head about by adding an unusual number of exhaust tips(like 3?). be assured that someone will ask about that detail.

Lol, I thought of putting the top half of a diesel with a turbo on it above the cover and having dual large diameter exhaust pipes out the back!  Put a Detroit 8V with a blower and twin turbos poking up through!? Use just the top half of the engine or maybe have the back half detailed with engine showing!? Who knows!? At first I wanted to build just a quick build but looking at it I almost want to add more detail. Maybe not an interior but an engine bay of some sort!? 

15 hours ago, Dieselhead said:

Maybe a big ol blower and butterfly catcher in the back there? I like the 4 exhausts out the back idea.

Good idea!!!!

8 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Another off the wall option would be 12 cylinder power supplied by a pair of turbocharged Corvair Spyder flat opposed six cylinder engines. Your race day sponsor could be "Nader' s Garage".

Yet another good idea ?

i have many problems now I have one more eh!!?? I have an idea for exhaust now! Now I need to figure what to do for powerplant posing and possible ponderings on perfecting my problems!! Lol ?  

On 3/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, misterNNL said:

That right there's slicker than snot on a door knob! Engine looks like it's flexing it's own muscles. I feel sooooo sorry for you,but I told you there was no cure for this disease. You were warned,

Ha! Yes you did warn me! Just goes to show I’m a slow learner sometimes!! Lol 

cut the engine apart to modify it to fit the bed better. Putting it back together now! Then I’ll need to figure out induction on it, don’t think I have any turbos to put on it.. have to look and see...