Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great job! The camouflage looks like the type that might be used for winter exercises in places like Norway, where US forces often deployed for joint maneuvers.  When I was in the Marine Corps long ago, the Goat was still in service.  We sometimes saw them running around Camp Pendleton.

On-topic for a car forum! The Gama Goat was originally powered by a Corvair air-cooled engine. But the weight of the vehicle kept going up. By the time it went in service, the 'Vair engine was severely stressed and often overheated.  The designers switched to a 3-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine. It was mounted right behind the driver and LOUD, so hearing protection was mandatory.  And while the Goat was technically amphibious, that feature required special training for the drivers. Otherwise it could turn into a submarine.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice build Patrick, I love it!

My best friend was a mechanic on the Gama-Goat when

he was stationed in Germany. He hated driving them

because they have no leg room at all. And are loud, rough

running, and smelly little buggers!!  And slow!!

David S.

Edited by mod3l Lover

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, and thanks David for the info. We had until recently two USAF airfields about ten miles from us. All we saw on the roads were blue Chevy vans taking folks to the railway station and  the odd Hummer, but they nearly took up the width of our narrow roads!

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea what a Gama Goat was, but am so glad I clicked to find out! Very nice build, and exemplary paint work. I agree with others that say this needs a simple diorama to display in. Fun stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...