Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frame/roll cage

10 minutes ago, afx said:

Simple:More involved:Most difficult:

I imagine you use solid round styrene, likely 0.100" diameter? How do you get the nice radius bends? Do you heat it with something like a butane lighter or heat gun and wrap it around a piece of rod?

18 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I imagine you use solid round styrene, likely 0.100" diameter? How do you get the nice radius bends? Do you heat it with something like a butane lighter or heat gun and wrap it around a piece of rod?

I typically use .060" which scales out to 1.5" which seems correct for most race cars series.  I bend the solid rod with my fingers or with round needle nose pliers then set the shape by heating it over a candle.  I dissolve bits of styrene in liquid cement and use it like weld at the unions. Clean everything up with small files.

DSCN4758

Edited by afx

I can endorse afx's suggestions, though I work a little differently.

I prefer to wrap bends around something, tape in place, and dip in boiling water (5-10 seconds) to temper them. 

For weld fillets, I prefer to use Loctite gel CA.

Careful measuring and cutting is essential to getting a good looking tubular structure, as is "fish-mouthing" the ends of round-section rod for maximum joint strength with minimum fillet reinforcement.

George Bojaciuk's suggestion, looking at lots of images of race car structures, is also very good. Understanding load paths and why things are placed as they are helps to make a convincing model that's technically correct. Planning well ahead of cutting is also recommended.

I have tried the plastic-coated wire mentioned by R.Thorne, and though it does hold its shape after bending, I was never really satisfied with other aspects of its performance.

This isn't exactly a cage, but a more a stiffening structure built over factory frame rails in the pre-cage days, and also supports a one-piece fiberglass pre-funnycar body.

DSCN0847_zpsz5aqfa3h.jpg

Another option for clean bends without heat is this styrene rod off eBay..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYRENE-ROUND-ROD-120-PIECE-ASSORTMENT-LOT-6-SIZES-PIPE/122094423448?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37570%26meid%3D2be1c9a6a5a74c38acfdf6022ada2dc9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D111889933610

I stumbled on this on accident, it bends and holds its shape without heat.. The only downfall is, it doesn't glue well with normal styrene glue (I only use CA on it), and sometimes the pieces are not uniform in diameter from end to end.  I have purchased this 120 piece assortment, and recently purchased just 120 pieces of the .080 in a custom auction from him.   The diameter thing is a bit of a bummer, but once you are aware of it, you can pick and choose pieces so its not much of an issue.

I am a really big fan of this stuff, I have never had much luck using heat. 

IMG_8788.JPG

• 3 weeks later...