Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport Corvette

2002p51

Well, the finished product turned out to be pretty disappointing. but more on that in a minute. First a little background on the real car.

The Grand Sport project was mostly a skunk works type of effort as GM was under a self imposed racing ban. But in 1964 the suits at Chevrolet had finally had enough and said; "No, seriously, this has to stop." and they pulled the plug. Three of the five cars built were sold to privateers. The subject of this model, chassis #005, was sold to Jim Hall. Since Hall was so busy with preparations of his own Chaparral the car was shipped to Roger Penske's shop in Pennsylvania to be prepared for the Sebring 12 hour race where Penske and Hall would share the driving. In spite of inferior handling the Penske/Hall Grand Sport was able to use its power advantage to take first in class and 18th overall against a field of potent Cobras and Ferrari prototypes.

Before we go any farther, if you would like to see some of the work that went into this model you can click here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/139757-new-project/

In that thread I mentioned that the chassis had quite a bit of twist in it. I was able to get 99% of that out without doing any damage and thought it was good. During final assembly it was difficult to get the chassis to touch any of the bottom of the car well enough to get any glue to hold. I thought I had it once but, after giving the glue time to dry, I picked the model up and the chassis just dropped off. So I got a little more aggressive and finally got something to grab and hold. But this time, when I turned the model over and placed it on the bench, the twist was back! Not quite as much but the right front tire was back in the air again. You'll notice in the photos that the hood also doesn't fit very well and I think that's a product of this newly induced twist. Rats! 

Speaking of the hood, notice what looks like tape covering the louvers. This is evident in the photos that are in the Corvette Grand Sport book. It seems they covered the hood to prevent the Florida rain from getting into the engine compartment. Accurate Miniatures provided some very nice stickers to replicate this look although they are not mentioned anywhere in the instruction sheet. Unfortunately, possibly due to age, the edges didn't stick too well and I had to use a microbrush and apply a little Krystal Klear all around the edges to get them to stay down. I also scratched the paint a little with my thumbnail trying to get the edges to stay down. They're still not perfect but then, neither was the tape job on the real car.

So, all in all, it is disappointing when all of the effort and work that's required to build this model all goes south during final assembly. Especially in spite of numerous test fittings. Things are so much harder to fix once everything is painted and finished.  

2v2EpQowDx2mJNT.jpg

2v2EpQof4x2mJNT.jpg

2v2EpQoAmx2mJNT.jpg

So there it is. At least I now have the sister car to the Mecom prepared chassis #004 that was driven in the '64 Sebring by A.J. Foyt. But this one will never see any sort of show table for sure. 

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Drew, that looks mighty good from where I sit! If you hadn't mentioned any troubles I would have thought nothing of it! And yes, the finish on that is perfect for that era of race car. ;)

What he said. Very clean looking build! B)

I think it looks pretty nice myself, paint, side marker lights, wheel detail and decals add to the authenticity value. I have four of these kits, two are under construction, Chassis #003 and 005. 

I have not seen any twist in my frames, but I noticed you filled the chanels in the frame tubes as many of us have done. Could the twist could have happened then?

Just now, James2 said:

I have not seen any twist in my frames, but I noticed you filled the chanels in the frame tubes as many of us have done. Could the twist could have happened then?

I suppose anything like that is possible. It never occurred to me to check it for straight  before I ever started. So, my bad.

This Chaparral white version of the Grand Sport has always been my favorite and the one I would build if I ever get around to. Your model certainly looks very nice in the photos. I was never sure if the hood on this version was solid or tapped so thanks for clearing that up. I do believe it may of had a scoop rather than the vents.

4 hours ago, 2002p51 said:

Dave, thanks for the compliment. I've still got one more of these kits. Not sure what I'll do with it. I've got two resin conversion bodies, one is a roadster and the other is the early prototype. So there is a possibility there.

AM designed a roadster body and started tooling.......but it never made it to test shot stage.....Oh the plans AM had for this and other all new tools.....

16 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

This Chaparral white version of the Grand Sport has always been my favorite and the one I would build if I ever get around to. Your model certainly looks very nice in the photos. I was never sure if the hood on this version was solid or tapped so thanks for clearing that up. I do believe it may of had a scoop rather than the vents.

There is one photo of the car in the Grand Sport Corvette book that shows the car without the tape and it definitely has the same type of vents as the blue Mecom car.

3 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

AM designed a roadster body and started tooling.......but it never made it to test shot stage.....Oh the plans AM had for this and other all new tools.....

Would've been interesting to see for sure. The resin bodies I have were done by Cheez Cast. No idea how long ago I got them but I don't think Cheez Cast is around anymore.

6 minutes ago, 2002p51 said:

There is one photo of the car in the Grand Sport Corvette book that shows the car without the tape and it definitely has the same type of vents as the blue Mecom car.

Yes I agree. I had not looked at The Grand Sport book for a very long time. What I was really meaning is that it did not have the side louvers like the hood in the kit representing other versions of the GS. I have a resin hood from Historic Racing Miniatures called a Nassau Hood which is definitely like the Mecom car.