Model Cars Magazine Forum

Edit Feature - Now Time Limited?

Casey

What if one wants to change their date on a continuous WIP as in an update for example?? That would be sucky! :huh:

I'll keep saying this until the point is made................why oh why is there not a preview page as there is on other forums?? Seeing what one wrote and to check for grammar, spelling, etc is a bit annoying trying to view it through a 'box' as opposed to a whole page.

Especially for exceptionally long posts which I make from time to time.

Any limited length of time is not what I would like.  But it is not my forum . . .

There are threads out there where the subject line used to get modified by the author (to keep the subject line current).

BTW, the forum just has a hiccup (the site was inaccessible), then I kept getting the 404 error when trying to post my last response in this thread.

Edited by peteski

It's not a bad idea for the editor to be disabled after a certain time, because I've seen spam posts in the past that were added after the fact. They, say, will make a post in someones Under Glass or something, then go back a week or so later and put in links to stuff...... I've seen it a time or two.....

7 hours ago, peteski said:

There are threads out there where the subject line used to get modified by the author (to keep the subject line current).

I have seen very few people doing that, as most members seem to understand their work can stand for itself. Topics are automatically updated when a new reply is added, so updating the post title every time something is done is redundant and unnecessary. People will read/see any new or updated work when they read the topic.

Here's a good example of why updating the topic is unnecessary:

10 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

What if one wants to change their date on a continuous WIP as in an update for example?? That would be sucky! :huh:

I'll keep saying this until the point is made................why oh why is there not a preview page as there is on other forums?? Seeing what one wrote and to check for grammar, spelling, etc is a bit annoying trying to view it through a 'box' as opposed to a whole page.

Especially for exceptionally long posts which I make from time to time.

While I disagree with the perceived need to limit the edit time window, I TOTALLY agree with Bill that there is definitely a need to have a preview function. THAT would eliminate a lot of the need to edit. I try to make sure that my grammar, spelling, and punctuation are correct when I make a post. Aside from the subject content, this is often a reason for me to edit a post. I simply miss it when I pre-read it before I post it. To MAKE us go through a preview function may alleviate a lot of the need for the edit feature.

Edited by redneckrigger

The forum software keeps track of most recent postings. It's how the topics are ordered in their listing. For various reasons, I can't just take this off. The question is how short can I make it without badly impacting legitimate usage?

We may get a preview function with the new version of the forum software. I will ask. 

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I have seen very few people doing that, as most members seem to understand their work can stand for itself. Topics are automatically updated when a new reply is added, so updating the post title every time something is done is redundant and unnecessary. People will read/see any new or updated work when they read the topic.

I have to respectfully disagree.

I have build threads that are often dormant for years, and then get fired up again. I've noticed that if I don't modify the header and include a date, there are relatively few readers, most apparently assuming it's just an old, dead thread somebody dug up for one reason or another.

As the only object of posting one's work on a forum is to have it seen, there's little incentive to add new material (which in my own case takes more than average effort) if it's just going to be ignored.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

20 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Wow. I didn't know that so many people were doing this. I thought it was just me. :)  I made some changes. The post is now locked 45 minutes after creation. I can lengthen that out, but I don't want to turn it off altogether. 

May we inquire as to what the perceived need for such a time limit is, or was?

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have to respectfully disagree.

I have build threads that are often dormant for years, and then get fired up again. I've noticed that if I don't modify the header and include a date, there are relatively few readers, most apparently assuming it's just an old, dead thread somebody dug up for one reason or another.

As the only object of posting one's work on a forum is to have it seen, there's little incentive to add new material (which in my own case takes more than average effort) if it's just going to be ignored.

I concur 100% 

Most of my builds take months, if not years to finish also. 

2 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

May we inquire as to what the perceived need for such a time limit is, or was?

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, It wasn't broken, why was it "fixed"? 

My thought as well...I tried to go back and edit one of my posts I made about an hour ago just now as it wasn't that clear of what I meant but I thought something was wrong as the edit thing was gone.
I don't do this often but sometimes it's good to be able to go back and edit earlier posts...if it's locked after 45 minutes it's not possible and you have to do a new post to clearify what you originally meant...not that good and user friendly in my book.

Not so much broken as makes us vulnerable to getting hacked. I lengthened the edit window to 3 days. This isn't perfect, but hopefully an improvement. It's going to take me some time to figure out how we mitigate this vulnerability, and get us back to where we can edit old content again. 

I understand your frustration, but please bear with me. 

• Xingu locked this topic