Model Cars Magazine Forum
W Humble

Modeling TV sit-com cars from '50s-60s; any out there?

I'm going to attempt to models some TV sitcom cars from the 'fifties, beginning with the nice '40 Ford ragtop from Leave It to Beaver (Wally and Eddie chain Lumpy's car to a tree and extract the real axle) and the ratty Model A tub Bud Jr. drove before he got his '48 ragtop,  from Father Knows Best.  I'm putting them in the same diorama, for fun.  Billy Gray replied to my inquiry as to the color of the hand-brushed flames on the A; gray!  Also sent me two nice images of him with a '54 Merc ragtop (Jim Sr. drove a '54 sedan in the first season or two) and his flat-track racer.  See below; I rolled up my jeans cuffs in that era, too!

I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar to 'preserve' those old crocks in replica, or had any tips; after sixty years on-and-off playing with plastic kits, I've never tried a model scene.  I'm trying to keep it very modest, btw; first effort at diorama, and weathering model cars at age 73 -1/2.

Ever wonder what else those kid actors drove?  Apparently Tony Dow had a Corvair Monza; still exists, and I recall Paul Petersen in what I think I recall as a Siata roadster (beautiful V-8 car; I've judged on at concours!), which may have been his --  but what else??  Bet it wasn't a tired '51 Ford club coupe, like I had, huh?!

Any interest?

Wick Humble

Billy Gray Merc FKB.PNG

Edited by W Humble
additional info

James , I say go for it . This coming from someone who has dealt with "Movie " cars . This much I will share . Usually the "Real deal " is a LOT rougher car than what you see on camera . I too well remember the Grease car . That car was ROUGH !!!!!!!

Not a 50's-60's car but I did a Vista Cruiser from "That 70s' Show" from a Matchbox car

How about, "My Mother the Car"?

I have the AMT kit. Pretty nice, if you want a T with a nose-job and a trunk.

I've thought about this one; "CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU".

Mark

i226515.jpg

Darren Stevens drove a convertible, I think it was a Camaro, but do I recall an Impala from earlier seasons?  (Bewitched)

Another fun one; Greg Brady bought a piece of junk '55 Chevy convertible, but felt too guilty to pass it on to another sucker.  (Brady Bunch)