Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram "Big T" 1/8 scale Build Log

martin9428

It has been about 25 years since I seriously took the time to build and detail a model. The large scale will allow me some lee way as far as detail goes, with aging eyes and minimal supplies. This is a "3 in 1" kit and I've decided on the grey Street Rod, (middle picture on the cover)with possible bits from the other two builds but, not sure. I'll figure it out as I go. I like the tires on the red "Show car" but, not sure what I want to do with the rear yet.

First step was the frame and the front grill. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do a light aluminum wash on the front or just leave it flat black. This was the first kit I have built with a frame that wasn't one piece and getting the frame square was challeging and hopefully It is square. It does seem to sit flat so, hopefully I have it square and level.

I do know that I want to have as little crome as possible so, I will test stripping the crome on some sprue pieces. If all goes well, I will strip the pieces I don't want to be chrome and repaint them. I remember my dad's 50 Oldsmobile which had very little to no chrome.

I will continue to add to this post as I move ahead. I will say that it will be slow going as I'm learning and watching other post for information. Thank you and I hope you enjoy following along

CIMG1293.JPG

0213191921.jpg

0213191922.jpg

I ran into some small issues with the front shocks and mounts but, finally have them mounted. Other problems encountered was with the front radius rods. When I assebled the radiator, I forgot to put on the spring perch which I painted later and glued but, it did not seat further enough back on the radiator so, the radius bars were to short. I now have to reposition the front rod holders so the radius bars will fir. Also, I painted the manifold and decided to tone it down some with a wash which turned out to be to thick so now, I need to repaint the manifold. Other than that, no problems. Working on carbs and magneto and then hoses and wires. Here are a couple of pictures with the engine just sitting in place

0219191752.jpg

0219191753.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sloooow going. Added a few pieces and now have so paint touch up. Still working on the front steering. I'm having to go slow as the front drums turn and pivot as well as turn left and right with the steering wheel. Many moving parts and this is the first time I've built a model with so many moving parts. Sorry but, the picture is slightly blurry.

0301192035.jpg

• Like 1

The problem you had with the front shocks is because the front spring should slid over the large tab on the grill shell piece I'll get a pic later when I'm at the shop!

you actually lowered the front make sure the oil pan won't be to low to the ground

Edited by milo1303s
add info

Doesn't appear that I lowered it. I reviewed the instructions and it appears that it is put together correctly. The bracket on the front of the radiator goes into a groove on the backside of the leafspring. The leafspring doesn't sit underneath. Right now it's on hold until I can figure out how to seperate two glued and painted parts.

• 2 weeks later...

No knockin your build but the spring is supposed to slide over the big nub that sticks out under the grill shell and I hope the weight of the whole kit doesn''t give you any problems looks killer so far !!!  so yes you did lower the front by 8th inch should look cool !!!

0318190437.jpg

0318190437a.jpg

• Like 1