Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix VW Beetle?

Snake45

Anyone know what scale this kit is? It doesn't say on the box and I failed to find a scale listed on a web search. 

Saw one at Hobby Lobby today. Peeked in the box quickly and looks like it MIGHT be 1/24-25. Sure seemed bigger than 1/32. I'm gonna take some dimensions off my IMC and check the Airfix again next week. 

9 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

There's 2 available, one is a quick build (Lego type assembly) and I don't believe they list scales on those. The other, a glue kit is 1/32. I've seen the quick build kits at H-L but only a Lamborghini and Bugatti so far.

The quick-build is the one I'm interested in. I just need the body to drop on an IMC VW AA/Altered chassis, so detail is unimportant, just size and shape. 

13 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Don't know if I'd count on the quick-build, Snake.  If the Lambo, Bugatti, and Mclaren are any indication, the kit doesn't have a conventional body shell but instead segments with lego-style attachments to a base platform:

3120533_160119115943_4eeea95d222ccd3e0c9

If it's the right size, that would work for me. I just need the top, body sides, and hood and deck lid to make a (fenderless) Altered body for the old IMC drag chassis. 

Maybe I'll just go ahead and get one and if it doesn't work for me, I can build it for my grandson to play with. 

If it were me, I would try out a Polar Lights Beetle first. They reissued these recently first decorated as a Spider Man kit, a Harley Quinn kit, and most recently as a Coca Cola kit. It's a snap kit, but VERY nice...comes with stock AND custom seats, bumpers, wheels- in other words, a great parts kit for Beetle builders, so, any leftovers would be a nice group of parts for the stash. 

I'm not sure the Airfix kit would be very useful, as the body will likely have thick Lego-like mounting areas inside the body that you would have to grind out. If the Grandson gets the kit though, that would work out :)

The PL Coca Cola kit just came out, it might hit Hobby Lobby very soon.  

I think I tried mounting the old Revell Beetle body to the IMC drag chassis some time ago, and from what I remember, the firewall was too big to fit into the Revell body. I think the new Revell '68 and Polar Lights cars are really 1/24, so they might fit better, unless you want to carve on the top and side edges of the firewall. 

The Polar Lights and new Revell Beetles are 1/24. The size difference would be apparent. 

The older Revell Beetles are 1/25, but are getting hard to find. I might have to try to scare one up. The firewall adjustment, if necessary, doesn't bother me. B)

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The Polar Lights and new Revell Beetles are 1/24. The size difference would be apparent. 

The older Revell Beetles are 1/25, but are getting hard to find. I might have to try to scare one up. The firewall adjustment, if necessary, doesn't bother me. B)

Anyone know if the old Revell 1/25 Beetle tooling ever made its way to China?

If it remained stateside, I wonder if Atlantis has it now?  Can't picture the Germans really being interested in the old 1/25 tooling when they already have the new 1/24 tooling.

If it ended up in China, I think we'll never see it reissued.

9 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Anyone know if the old Revell 1/25 Beetle tooling ever made its way to China?

If it remained stateside, I wonder if Atlantis has it now?  Can't picture the Germans really being interested in the old 1/25 tooling when they already have the new 1/24 tooling.

If it ended up in China, I think we'll never see it reissued.

I went hunting for them on ePay last night. Several of the pink ones with flared fenders, and a lot of convertibles, but only found one copy of a stock-bodied sedan and that was part of a 3-kit deal. 

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

I got this for my Daughter, she built it in 30 minutes Her first model kit. goes together real good. 

I seen this yellow bug yesterday in town I was inspired to build one now.  I'm probably gonna start with the polor lights kit.

Screenshot_20190215-073438.jpg

Can you get me some dimensions on that? Overall length (not including bumpers) and width across the front and/or rear fenders would be helpful--would tell me what I need to know. 

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If it's the right size, that would work for me. I just need the top, body sides, and hood and deck lid to make a (fenderless) Altered body for the old IMC drag chassis. 

Maybe I'll just go ahead and get one and if it doesn't work for me, I can build it for my grandson to play with. 

If the Airfix kit scales true, it actually looks like the best available 1/24 kit for doing a fenderless bug, based on that exploded view. Cool!

It looks the part, for sure. The potential issue you might find is that these Quickbuild kits are constrained by the dimensions of the “studs”. They are defined by being “compatible with the market leading brand”, ie Lego. Basically the proportions are defined by being X studs by Y studs by Z studs at the core, and they all have to be whole numbers. The outer curved layers can take up some slack, but only so much. The McLaren is something like 1/26 in one direction and 1/22.5 in the other, for example...

best,

M.

58 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I think the bug is about 6.5 inches long... I had to leave but I went down and took a quick measurement of it end to end...

Screenshot_20190215-193523.jpg

That pic helps a LOT, thanks much! B)

ETA: Thanks to your ruler, my dial caliper, and the IMC Bug which just happens to be handy, I quickly determined that the Airfix is bigger--at least 1/24, maybe even a point or two larger!

Thanks again--you just saved me 15 frogs! B)

Edited by Snake45

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That pic helps a LOT, thanks much! B)

ETA: Thanks to your ruler, my dial caliper, and the IMC Bug which just happens to be handy, I quickly determined that the Airfix is bigger--at least 1/24, maybe even a point or two larger!

Thanks again--you just saved me 15 frogs! B)

Snake 45 , Is what you are after a VW Bug Body Shell . The IMC Kit is 1/25 compared to the Revelle 1/25 Scale kits . A 1/24 th , I believe not . If you need this in Revelle 1/25 , I may have an extra I'll trade with you .. I also have an Lindbergh Gremlin I got snookered on . 1 Supposed to be 1/24 . Well nope // 1/20th . RSVP .. Thanx .. 

1 st pair :  Circa '64 MY ,  IMC 1/25 .  Hood Trunk do not have positive attachments to keep these parts closed . They slide out of place .  Second pair , Tamiya 1/24 Circa '53/'54 MY . one piece body , hood , trunk . Small Window . Engine Ventilation above hood on Tulip Panel  still located there . Revelle 1/25 Scale Circa 1968 . I although think it may be a '70 MY with the flat bottomed Taillights and wide Bumpers . The 4th [pair is the Hiawasgai 1/25 Scale 1/25 , a '66 MY . Yes . someone stole an hubcap .. Help ? 

IMGP1725.JPG

IMGP1743.JPG

IMGP1740.JPG

IMGP1745.JPG

IMGP1746.JPG

IMGP1742.JPG

IMGP1724.JPG

IMGP1741.JPG

7 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

Snake 45 , Is what you are after a VW Bug Body Shell . The IMC Kit is 1/25 compared to the Revelle 1/25 Scale kits . A 1/24 th , I believe not . If you need this in Revelle 1/25 , I may have an extra I'll trade with you .

The currently available Revell Beetle is 1/24, but the ones from the '70s are 1/25. Yes, I'd be interested in trading for a 1/25 body shell (and hood, engine cover and glass; don't need bumpers or lights). What do you need for it? Email me direct if you want at SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com. 

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The currently available Revell Beetle is 1/24, but the ones from the '70s are 1/25. Yes, I'd be interested in trading for a 1/25 body shell (and hood, engine cover and glass; don't need bumpers or lights). What do you need for it? Email me direct if you want at SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com. 

I'll dig

.. I might have all you need . No Fender flares .. ? Thanx .. Meassage here ? Thanx ..