Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

9 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

This is relatively long, so apologies up front. Technically I didn't get them today. In fact, nine of them have not been in my presence. They are at my home awaiting my return from Dorval. These two I picked up from Walmart in Plattsburgh NY the other day. The rest I've been collecting since the beginning of March.

0531192153_edited-vi.jpg

0531192154_edited-vi.jpg

M2 Machines 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z432. Pretty rare car in real life. I think this represents a video game version more than an actual car, but for $20 USD, not bad.

Great finds all.  The Z432 is a real performance car and right hand drive only for the home market I believe.

This 1:43 scale 1950's Morris Minor Traveller arrived today, by Vanguards / Lledo, and includes the original box in very good condition, also tax disc and a couple of wing mirrors to glue on to the front wings. Nice scale model car in mint condition and a low price too. I like the 1953 tax disc that is included, and the separate wing mirrors is a good idea, which saves them getting broken in the post. This 1:43 scale version compares well to the larger 1:24 scale version of the same car.

David

100_7675.JPG

100_7682.JPG

100_7684.JPG

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Wandering off-topic, as usual.  Not to be too...picky or take anything away from the great Marty Robbins. But the guitar picker on his records was usually the awesome Nashville session guitarist Grady Martin. He had a long career and recorded with hundreds of artists, from Elvis Presley to Loretta Lynn.

Martin may have accidentally invented the fuzz guitar on Marty Robbins' 1960 hit "Don't Worry."  There are several different stories about how that happened, but most likely Martin ran his guitar thru a bad channel in the mixing board.  He thought it sounded awful and wanted to re-record the lead guitar part. But lucky for us, Marty Robbins over-ruled him.

That's also Martin doing the unforgettable guitar work on "El Paso."  That record was produced by Don Law, and music fans owe him a huge debt. While he was working for Brunswick Records in 1936-37, Law made the only existing recordings of the African-American blues genius Robert Johnson.  Johnson has influenced just about everybody who ever picked up a guitar, including Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Jimmy Page.

OK, OK, not really a guitar picker per se. I was up late and kind of giddy when I posted this earlier today. The fastest part was his driving, not his playing. He was really just a a great Country and Western ballad singer who strummed a guitar, drove fast cars, and tried to stay out of the way of the real NASCAR drivers. Thank you for clarifying who played guitar on his songs.?

Edited by THarrison351

On 5/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, Geno said:

Man, that's sweet David. I wish we could get some of the Hatchette models here in the States as I'd love to pick up some of their American series 1/24.

Hear, Hear! I'd love to get one of every Hatchette diecast produced in 1/24 scale. Many of them are cars never replicated in this scale. I can find most on eBay, but they are either over priced or the shipping cost is prohibitive.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:41 AM, HomerS said:

Dusty and missing the passenger side exhaust from the muffler back, but it was $2.

IMG_2639.JPG

Bought a 1:1 of this for my ex-wife.  She ended up wrapping it around a tree when she was drunk.

God I miss that car!

On 5/31/2019 at 10:49 PM, THarrison351 said:

These two are from University of Racing (Icons) I have one of each of their previous releases. They're limiting the production, so the prices have gotten higher. I wish they had retooled some of the parts for the chassis when they started on the Dodges. Slotted wheels were not used on Charger 500s or the wing cars. The slotted wheels came when disc brakes were added (about 1972-73). Unfortunately when Franklin Mint tooled their Superbird from Richard Petty's Museum car, it had incorrect wheels on it and no one pointed this out to the model makers. Icon is using the old dies from the Franklin Mint Superbird Chassis, including the slotted wheels and Richard's exclusive three bar headrest. Beautiful cars otherwise and so happy to get them!  Another thing most people don't know. As fast and notorious as the Daytonas were, they only won six races in two NASCAR seasons before being saddled with a noncompetitive engine.

sl16002-vi.jpg

Marty Robbins #42 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger. Fastest Guitar picker in Nashville

sl16001-vi.jpg

Dave Marcis #30 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger. Reputation as the hardest driver to pass in NASCAR

I had a 1/18 scale custom of the Marty Robbins car built by my late friend Jesse Pyron.

32761468428_cabeb9bf28_o.jpg

Edited by ibj40

Here's my most recent $10 junk store find.   FM 42 Chrysler T&C woody.  Missing mirrors, one door handle, wiper, hood tampo scratched, but looks okay in my office.  Because $10.  No box or anything.   He has a couple more I may go get for resale.  

fm 42 chrysler.jpg

I'm sure there are a lot of treasures there.   They have a couple more cars I may acquire and sell.  Each is missing some little doodad but the prices are better than possible on ebay.  I'm not sure he realizes what he has there.  Or maybe he just has too little traffic.  Place was dead when we were there.   I have another T&C by DM.   But thought this one would be nice to have as well.  

Heres what I have picked up over the last week or so.  

The Harley's will be detailed and added to Peppershakers Diner.

The Motormax C10 will be weathered into a work truck.

The 55 & 57 Racing Champions are due repaints, or maybe just try and de-tampo the sedan delivery and leave it white ?

The 2017 Silverado is more 1;27 and was way to high (all my trucks are low), quick mod with some Copperhead wheels is more the way it will be. The Motormax 2018 Silverado is a far better diecast.

s-l1600 (27).jpg

s-l1600 (28).jpg

s-l1600 (29).jpg

C1165-Racing-Champion-HOT-ROD-MAG-57-Chevy-Sedan.jpg

s-l1600 (24).jpg

s-l1600 (25).jpg

s-l1600.png

20190504_192200_resized.jpg

I don't usually collect 1/64 anymore unless their special. I'm going to have to look for those Cobras. I found a deal on eBay I couldn't pass the other day. A diecast I thought I'd never own because they always bid more than I wanted to pay. A Danbury Mint 1954 US Mail Truck came up with an unbelievably low buy it now price, so I did. The only defect is they said the drivers mirror came off when putting it back in the box, but it comes with. Pictures look good so I'm happy. Looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks.

sl160010-vi.jpg

I finally found a Franklin Mint Cobra I was comfortable affording.  It is the "bare aluminum" version of CSX3036. The seller warned it was from an estate and I appreciate the warning and the reduced price.  The driver side wind wing is missing and one of the jack forks is also.  The body needs cleaning as there are black spots all over it but shouldn't be too hard to clean.

This is my first Franklin Mint Cobra and I am anxious to compare it to the WIX, Welly, and ICONS diecast versions.  One thing I did notice which surprised me was the side pipes are plastic.

20190612_142652.jpg.be0133aba40511168410bb9142e11100.jpg20190612_142723.jpg.69cba9981d74321893e2013c6bed7d43.jpg20190612_142742.jpg.bf862c7ce233cac8f338f697f34c63d3.jpg

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

I finally found a Franklin Mint Cobra I was comfortable affording.  It is the "bare aluminum" version of CSX3036. The seller warned it was from an estate and I appreciate the warning and the reduced price.  The driver side wind wing is missing and one of the jack forks is also.  The body needs cleaning as there are black spots all over it but shouldn't be too hard to clean

That looks pretty good! The bare aluminium effect is very impressive... of course it could be because it actually is aluminium! Given that the "wind wing" looks to be made of inch thick armoured plate glass, I'd use the one you have as a template to cut a couple of scale thickness ones from acetate and call it a blessing in disguise...

best,

M.

39 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Not actually a diecast....... this resin body 1:43 scale model car arrived today. It is a 1933 MG F Magna Salonette by NEO..... very nice little car at 3 inches long

That does look very cute, and colourful! I love the exotic sunroof style... very chic. It looks like something one of the many young ladies that Bertie Wooster has been engaged to might drive around Town and down to Totley Towers in...

best,

M.

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I finally found a Franklin Mint Cobra I was comfortable affording.  It is the "bare aluminum" version of CSX3036. The seller warned it was from an estate and I appreciate the warning and the reduced price.  The driver side wind wing is missing and one of the jack forks is also.  The body needs cleaning as there are black spots all over it but shouldn't be too hard to clean.

This is my first Franklin Mint Cobra and I am anxious to compare it to the WIX, Welly, and ICONS diecast versions.  One thing I did notice which surprised me was the side pipes are plastic.

20190612_142652.jpg.be0133aba40511168410bb9142e11100.jpg20190612_142723.jpg.69cba9981d74321893e2013c6bed7d43.jpg20190612_142742.jpg.bf862c7ce233cac8f338f697f34c63d3.jpg

I have one also that I bought new for 120 bucks years ago. I honestly don't think it is much better than the much cheaper Wix Cobra's .

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

I have one also that I bought new for 120 bucks years ago. I honestly don't think it is much better than the much cheaper Wix Cobra's .

Nice find.  Perhaps you can use a side mirror (or two) from a Monogram kit and anything else that is missing.  I have the Super Snake and since there is nothing comparable I bought it but do not remember what I paid.  I think it was part of a bunch of diecast cars from an auction and I got lucky.  There were no boxes but the price was right.  I have to laugh at people asking $900 for these on Ebay.

IMG_4804.JPG

Edited by vamach1