Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

Yes David, it's 1:24 West Coast Precision Diecast. They've been out of production for a while but are beautiful models with exquisite details. I had about twenty in my last collection but I sold my entire model collection when I moved in 2017. I missed it too much, so got back into it a little to enthusiastically!

Picked this taxi up at my Rite Aid drug store that is currently being changed to a Walgreens. 70% off. So for $2.99 it will be a great car for my great nephew to play with when he comes to visit. The Rite Aid in the next town hasn't started to be converted so I'll have to watch for when that happens.

taxi.jpeg

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

Picked this taxi up at my Rite Aid drug store that is currently being changed to a Walgreens. 70% off. So for $2.99 it will be a great car for my great nephew to play with when he comes to visit. The Rite Aid in the next town hasn't started to be converted so I'll have to watch for when that happens.

taxi.jpeg

Sweet score! I've never wanted one of those $10 worth, but I'd probably give $3 for it. I think it comes in a cop car version, too. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Sweet score! I've never wanted one of those $10 worth, but I'd probably give $3 for it. I think it comes in a cop car version, too. 

For $3 I had to get it. My great nephew is just getting to the age that he likes certain thing. For his last birthday I went to TJ Max and saw a red plastic car that made noise. I went to his birthday party and when he opened it. My niece said he really wanted that car the last time at TJ Max. Who would know. We live 150 miles from one another. Fate.

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

For $3 I had to get it. My great nephew is just getting to the age that he likes certain thing. For his last birthday I went to TJ Max and saw a red plastic car that made noise. I went to his birthday party and when he opened it. My niece said he really wanted that car the last time at TJ Max. Who would know. We live 150 miles from one another. Fate.

My grandson will be 2 next month and he's already got a big collection of cars, trucks, tractors, and so forth, most of them about 1/24 or larger, no "hot wheels." He has a bunch of them at home and we keep several for him here for when he visits. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

My grandson will be 2 next month and he's already got a big collection of cars, trucks, tractors, and so forth, most of them about 1/24 or larger, no "hot wheels." He has a bunch of them at home and we keep several for him here for when he visits. 

My niece and her family are really sports oriented and are really pushing him into baseball and golf. Not cars. Of course her mom, my sister, and her husband are also sport oriented and vey competitive. So my nephew at 2 has a whole golfing ensemble. But hey. He could be the next NASCAR star. If great uncle Dave has anything to do with it. Lol.

I have an older issue of this car - CMW I think.   When I owned a hobby shop, you could buy them in plain white and add your own decals.  And there was a semi-local guy making LEO decals.  He had a set for the local Sherrif's dept, so that was my choice.   Everyone should have at least one LEO/commercial car in their collection.   Nice taxi!  And good luck bringing another generation into cars.  That's tough.  My 12 y/o loves exotic/super cars.  And that's about it.  But he does have the beginnings of a collection in his room at my house.  All his choices.  Right now he wants to be soccer star, so that's what we do mostly.

JADA 1979 Camaro

I should have listened to Randy when he said "no, don't buy it".  Being I did not have a '70s Camaro in my collection I went back to Walmart and dropped a $20 on it.  Now I regret it.  Even after I took it apart and put in washers to raise the body on the chassis it still looks like a low rider with the sills dragging.  The front clip would not go back on correctly and being a Jada the wheels are oversized.  Did I mention the paint is thin on all the edges and the chrome steering wheel is awful?

20190923_132702.jpg.aa143999826c6dced52d55810e8d85da.jpg

20190923_163559.jpg.eded54cd465200df09cb8eece4049d19.jpg20190923_163854.thumb.jpg.3c8c0f702aced423acdeac4b5787e15c.jpg

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Something doesn't look right about the proportions of that body.

Well -it is a Camaro.  ?. There are some 67 Mustang out there that are pretty bad too.   I think Motorworks is the brand.  You are better off trying to catch a deal on older Frankin or Danbury mint ones.  I bought about three dozen DM and FM cars in an online local auction in lots of 12 at an average of $20 a car.  ?. This was at least five years ago so I'm not sure if prices have gone back up since they've been discontinued.

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Something doesn't look right about the proportions of that body.

Yeah, the top looks chopped, or at least the rear window seems shallow. The chop-top look is not uncommon with JADAs. 

Gramps, how's the size/scale of the thing? I always assume that JADAs will be 2 or 3 or 4 scale points too big. The only ones I've seen that are close to actual 1/24 are the big Cadillacs. 

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, the top looks chopped, or at least the rear window seems shallow. The chop-top look is not uncommon with JADAs. 

Gramps, how's the size/scale of the thing? I always assume that JADAs will be 2 or 3 or 4 scale points too big. The only ones I've seen that are close to actual 1/24 are the big Cadillacs. 

Richard, I measured the wheelbase on the Jada and it is 4 .625 inches and for a Gen II should be 4.5 inches.  

I just scored an ERTL 1/24 diecast '68-ish AMX on ePay for under $5! New in the box! Postage will cost twice that! :blink:

Have never seen one, but from what I could find on the net, it should easily be worth $15 to check out. Will have photos up soonest. 

Edited by Snake45

Just bought a Revell 1/25 '65 Impala convertible diecast lowrider on the bay. Cheap. Not a fan of lowriders but I saw one of these at the local toy show a couple months ago and really liked the paint job, a beautiful emerald green with lime green stripes. I didn't pull the trigger on it at $15 and wished later I had; the guy didn't have it the next month. This one's gonna cost me a little more that $15 with shipping, but not a lot, and I can do something with it. B)

Monthly local toy show and Rite-Aid run. It was an all-diecast day, no kits or glue bombs at all. And I paid exactly $10 for each of them: 

Burago Ferrari 250, says it's 1/24 but looks a little small, especially around the tires. 

ERTL '69 Charger.

ERTL '71 Cuda.

Welly Merc Capri, circa '74? Euro with square headlights (Rite Aid).