Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

6 hours ago, randyc said:

Love it!  First car I remember to this day was the 64 chevy taxi.  My grandma used to let me pick out a new boxed car every week when she got her hair done.  Place across street from salon had them.  Beautiful collection you have there.  

4 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

The first one I remember was #41, the Ford GT. My favorite was #73, the Mercury station wagon with the superfast wheels. I don't think it was ever beaten i a race. Unclear why it was so fast, but it was a little rocket.

3 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Back in 1990 there was this silly movie called Days of Thunder barely representing NASCAR. With it came some really low quality die cast collector cars representing the movie cars. They were produced by this company called Racing Champions. I seem to remember they came in a plastic bag when you bought food from Hardee's. Needless to say I had a few and held on to them for my kid so he could have them when he was old enough. So, a couple of years later I find these neat looking vintage NASCAR Ford Galaxie stock cars from 1964 on the Walmart shelves and start collecting them along with Plymouth Superbirds,  and eventually Mercury Cyclone Spoiler IIs, Ford Talladegas, and Dodge Charger Daytonas. I guess over a couple of years I found most of them. I eventually boxed them up and occasionally would see some I didn't have in hobby and sports memorabilia stores priced beyond what I thought was reasonable. Anything over $10 for the most rarest was ridiculous for a poorly reproduces piece of Zamak. Well there was one that I really wanted more than all the rest. Marty Robbins' #42 Dodge Daytona. I've had it on my eBay watch for years. It pops up regularly for a price usually starting at around $30 and can bid as much as $40+ and that doesn't include shipping. Well, this week I was checking my phone and there was a dot beside my Marty Robbins watch so I clicked on it expecting $29.95 and low and behold it said Buy It Now $8. I couldn't click fast enough. I did check to make sure it was a legitimate seller and a couple of other things, but here it is!  Matches my University of Racing diecast pretty well!

2v2HiyD5jxAVNRq.jpg

2v2E4tTAWxAVNRq.jpg

It's kind of ironic because I just had all of these out from storage and it turns out I need a few more to complete each series. Look out eBay, here I come!

Great memories! My dad use to take me to thr drug store and let me pick out a new matchbox car from the display as the pharmacist turned it.still have a few from The late 60’s.  I was working at Hardee’s when Days of Thunder was their theme should have the cars some where. I was 24 then.

14 hours ago, slusher said:

Great memories! My dad use to take me to thr drug store and let me pick out a new matchbox car from the display as the pharmacist turned it.still have a few from The late 60’s.  I was working at Hardee’s when Days of Thunder was their theme should have the cars some where. I was 24 then.

I think everyone from our era has that memory! My father was an army officer and we’d go shopping as a family at the post exchange (PX) when I was 6. My reward for being good while shopping was  that I could get a new Matchbox car!  The rotating carousel was on the camera department counter.. where my father wanted to go anyway since that was his hobby!  This was 1965 and my choices seemed to be small working trucks like a tow truck and the tea truck.  I still have the tea truck!

12 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Great looking Caddy Mr. Carlisle.  Hard to believe how detailed it is in 1/64.

Auto World really does make nice cars and they try to keep everything true to 1/64, instead of hitting a standard box size.  1/64 has a lot things not available in 1/24 with realistic details.   I should have lowered it just a touch though.

11 hours ago, ranma said:

Bought a Franklin Mint 1963 Impala Ht at a local yard sale today It came in in a very nice display case. I paid $20.00 for it.

Very nice! When I used to go to yard sales in my area and it was indicated there would be diecast, none of the Mints were ever available. It was NASCAR, Hotwheels, Matchbox, or some really bad Chinese 1/32-1/43 off brands. Lucky you!

Two new ones yesterday and some more on the way!

08062017152-vi.jpg

MotorMax 2019 Ford F-150 Limited. It will need some detailing and the driver's door is unhappy. Also as usual, smaller than the advertised 1/24 scale to fit the box. I'm guessing it's like the Ram Rebel at about 1/27. It looks pretty good for $10!

0806201717-vi.jpg

Racing Champions 1969 Charger Daytona #3 Fred Lorenzen. I've only seen it in this packaging and the NASCAR Legends 50th anniversary package (painted incorrectly white). It was listed on the backs of the first releases, but I've never seen one in with #71 Bobby Isaac Daytona package. Once you start studying on these cars, there were a lot mistakes made. Made in China, who'd of thunk it?

To complete the (1969 Charger) Dodge Daytonas I still need a #30 Dave Marcis. To complete the (1964 Galaxie) Ford Fastbacks I need the #54 Ralph Earnhardt. To complete the (1970 Plymouth Superbirds) #14 Bill Ellis-Owner (Richard Brickhouse) and #43 Richard Petty with Southern Plymouth. Finally, I need a (1969 Torino) Ford Talladega #61 Hoss Ellington. Only five cars needed to have all these "Legend" Series. All are on eBay most of the time, but I'm waiting for a good price and shipping. It kills me what some people will charge for shipping. I sell on eBay, so I have an idea what the cost is. As long as it isn't too large or heavy, shipping costs aren't bad. Sometimes I think folks are trying to make money up lost off of eBay and PayPal fees.

Edited by THarrison351

13 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Two new ones yesterday and some more on the way!

Racing Champions 1969 Charger Daytona #3 Fred Lorenzen. I've only seen it in this packaging and the NASCAR Legends 50th anniversary package (painted incorrectly white). It was listed on the backs of the first releases, but I've never seen one in with #71 Bobby Isaac Daytona package. Once you start studying on these cars, there were a lot mistakes made. Made in China, who'd of thunk it?

To complete the (1969 Charger) Dodge Daytonas I still need a #30 Dave Marcis. To complete the (1964 Galaxie) Ford Fastbacks I need the #54 Ralph Earnhardt. To complete the (1970 Plymouth Superbirds) #14 Bill Ellis-Owner (Richard Brickhouse) and #43 Richard Petty with Southern Plymouth. Finally, I need a (1969 Torino) Ford Talladega #61 Hoss Ellington. Only five cars needed to have all these "Legend" Series. All are on eBay most of the time, but I'm waiting for a good price and shipping. It kills me what some people will charge for shipping. I sell on eBay, so I have an idea what the cost is. As long as it isn't too large or heavy, shipping costs aren't bad. Sometimes I think folks are trying to make money up lost off of eBay and PayPal fees.

I really need to look and see if I have any of those to help you out.  I *think* I know where they are.  If I'm right and have any, I'll let you know.   I always tried to at least buy the interesting cars.  

7 hours ago, randyc said:

7 hours ago, randyc said:

I really need to look and see if I have any of those to help you out.  I *think* I know where they are.  If I'm right and have any, I'll let you know.   I always tried to at least buy the interesting cars.

Thanks Randy! I was moving some more boxes around and found two more small boxes with 1/64 diecast. Mostly HotWheels, but a good smattering of Racing Champions Craftsman Trucks and some odds and ends. Now I thought I had a #14 Bill Ellis Superbird, but it wasn't with the others. Lo and behold it was with these two boxes! That's one I almost bought last night! 

On 8/7/2020 at 5:26 PM, THarrison351 said:

Thanks Randy! I was moving some more boxes around and found two more small boxes with 1/64 diecast. Mostly HotWheels, but a good smattering of Racing Champions Craftsman Trucks and some odds and ends. Now I thought I had a #14 Bill Ellis Superbird, but it wasn't with the others. Lo and behold it was with these two boxes! That's one I almost bought last night! 

Welp, first place I looked was NOT the NASCAR stuff.   I"ll try again this evening maybe.  

As I said when I posted the truck and Daytona, more diecast would be posted. Here they are. It's my birthday week and my wife indulged me. 

The latest Daytona from University of Racing Legends. Buddy Bakery never won with Bob Drake sponsorship, but he did finish second at the 1970 Firecracker 400. The one race he won that year was at Darlington with Addy Dodge. The car that Cotton Owen's grandson claims was the winning car and sold as such was proven to be a show car during the time of the race and later displayed a the Darlington Museum.

2v2H4aq2dxAVNRq.jpg

This is my current favorite driver. He's young, so hopefully he won't retire out of frustration like my last driver. I wanted this especially because I worked part time for Advance Auto Parts for almost 20 years. 

2v2H4aqeyxAVNRq.jpg

Grant Enfinger, I'm trying to get all the Thorsport trucks from 2019. They are Fords in name only. I'm hoping to get Matt Crafton's Championship truck soon. All the Gander Outdoor trucks are powered by Chevy LS crate motors. Just like the ARCA cars and the K and N cars. I keep hearing rumors they might move them into the Xfinity cars. NASCAR is truly trying to kill stock car racing.

2v2H4aqbWxAVNRq.jpg

Johnny Sauter's Thorsport truck.

2v2H4aq1nxAVNRq.jpg

Danbury Mint's 1946 Dodge Power Wagon. This one needs some work. I got it cheap on a buy it now. It will have it's own topic once I do some more clean up. It's missing the spare tire. I hope to find a wrecked truck for a replacement. It come with everything else. I think the triangular piece is a hitch. The small part is a working pintle hook hitch and the other part is a PTO with a flat belt pulley.

2v2H4aqsdxAVNRq.jpg

Edited by THarrison351