Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

I was surprised to find the wind wings are actually hinged making it harder to replace!  I also found out that the CSX number cited on the rear tag was not issued by Shelby according to the Registry.  And those black spots won't come off with alcohol or lacquer thinner, and suggestions?

14 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Nice find.  Perhaps you can use a side mirror (or two) from a Monogram kit and anything else that is missing.  I have the Super Snake and since there is nothing comparable I bought it but do not remember what I paid.  I think it was part of a bunch of diecast cars from an auction and I got lucky.  There were no boxes but the price was right.  I have to laugh at people asking $900 for these on Ebay.

IMG_4804.JPG

That's a beauty!  Not sure I have ever seen that one.   

12 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I was surprised to find the wind wings are actually hinged making it harder to replace!  I also found out that the CSX number cited on the rear tag was not issued by Shelby according to the Registry.  And those black spots won't come off with alcohol or lacquer thinner, and suggestions?

Good score.  So how thick is the aluminum body?  Real aluminum or just unfinshed zamac?  Should look nice enough with the others.  

I have a new addition otw from seller.   Nothing exciting like a Cobra though - 1939 World's Fair Ford.  the one with the working roll up windows.  Photos next week probably.  

50 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Very interesting Ray, thanks for the information and pictures.

After more digging into the Registry I found that the Franklin Mint "bare aluminum 427 SC" is based upon CSX3056 which was "the prototype for 427 S/C completion production; built by Mike McCluskey  6/91".  So the diecast is correct in numbering and details.

15281CarrollShelbyposeswithCSX3056.jpg.6374c662648f598aa42b1c57bbbca370.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, THarrison351 said:

The black spots might be something that damaged the clear finish over the bare aluminum and has caused it to turn black. Unfortunately, I've seen similar spots on car wheels.

I got the magnifying glass out and an Exacto knife and found the little black spots are some type of oxidation in the aluminum.  Not what I wanted to see.  I put a wire brush in my Dremel and some of them can be removed.  Fortunately the finish on the model is brushed aluminum so maybe all is not lost.

Greetings,

This would be a 'foundling' 1:18th scale Tonka/Polistil Porsche 959 that was traded in at a local automobilia store in lieu of the delivery of a svelte AutoART rendition of the same topic.  In essence, this is an early unsophisticated tool of the most sophisticated automobile of the period.  Yes - it does look like a generic jelly bean/aerodynamic marshmallow on wheels, although in the early 1980's it was startling and the stuff of boyhood poster art.  Technology dripped off of this pathfinding near-200 mph supercar, and yet it could be driven just as a car and would vanish in a Wal-Mart parking lot today.  

As to this scale example, most would consider the Tonka model rubbish, and less than a cost-effective basis for a project - but it was free and constitutes a low-impact challenge.  It does come with the flush/covered wheels which were not seen on the 1:1 production model, hence this is something, while in truth the proportions of the model really aren't horrible.  It unscrews and/or snaps apart much like a period Burago release, while sanding down assorted body shell mold lines proved feasible enough. The door window frames are thick, but in a low-key way I'll try to get the better of it.  Seen back of the shell in primer is a $16 parts car picked up recently, hence know they go for almost nothing.  Thanks...

5d0586acadf8a_Porsche959imagetwo.jpg.13e73325dad3324724329979582ff2bb.jpg

...note the early flush covers on the wheels then.

5d05844a1ba89_Polistil959one001.JPG.36661f380a11c65c82a72e100d3b7e67.JPG

...the body scrubbed of mold lines, the wheels sanded, repainted, and lightly black-washed then.

5d0584582b8bd_Polistil959one009.JPG.8bf94f2d8ed9cb80cc18e97f5715e6d6.JPG

...heavy door window frames, but not horrid.

5d058b468330d_Polistil959one010.JPG.972df08f94e3630ca80add5f668f55e6.JPG

Given it isn't a shatteringly sophisticated tool or build, I think I'll just leave the wing/deck lid gap alone given it isn't all that distracting...

5d0586b2a06d5_Porsche959imagethree.jpg.05e4f9d1acd37218fa92fb88c235c67e.jpg

Still looking fresh no less than 30 years after it's debut.  Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

On 5/31/2019 at 10:49 PM, THarrison351 said:

This is relatively long, so apologies up front. Technically I didn't get them today. In fact, nine of them have not been in my presence. They are at my home awaiting my return from Dorval. These two I picked up from Walmart in Plattsburgh NY the other day. The rest I've been collecting since the beginning of March.

0531192153_edited-vi.jpg

0531192154_edited-vi.jpg

M2 Machines 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z432. Pretty rare car in real life. I think this represents a video game version more than an actual car, but for $20 USD, not bad.

0531192152_edited-vi.jpg

0531192151_edited-vi.jpg

M2 Machines 1960 VW Type 1 Delivery Van. Disappointingly decontented compared to the previous transporter series. No opening cab doors, engine compartment or hatch. Only the side doors open on huge dogleg hinges. The previous version used real hinges on the doors, but for $20 USD, and the only 1/24 1960 splitty delivery, I shouldn't complain.

These are the ones I won for cheap on eBay. Franklin and Danbury Mint. Wife says they seem to be in good shape. A few had never been out of their box until the sale and a couple have minor issues. I didn't pay more than $50 on any single one shipped and the White Budweiser truck was less than $30 shipped! These pictures are from the auction sale.

sl16005-vi.jpg

Danbury Mint 1936 Ford Cabriolet. New in box

sl16006-vi.jpg

Danbury Mint 1968 Corvette. Missing Top

sl16007-vi.jpg

Danbury Mint 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner. No known issues

sl16008-vi.jpg

Danbury Mint 1955 White Budweiser Delivery Truck. New in Box

sl16009-vi.jpg

Danbury Mint 1964 Aston Martin DB5. No known issues

sl16002-vi.jpg

Franklin Mint 1950 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop. Missing left side mirror

sl16001-vi.jpg

Franklin Mint 1932 Chevrolet Confederate Deluxe Sport Roadster. New in box

These two are from University of Racing (Icons) I have one of each of their previous releases. They're limiting the production, so the prices have gotten higher. I wish they had retooled some of the parts for the chassis when they started on the Dodges. Slotted wheels were not used on Charger 500s or the wing cars. The slotted wheels came when disc brakes were added (about 1972-73). Unfortunately when Franklin Mint tooled their Superbird from Richard Petty's Museum car, it had incorrect wheels on it and no one pointed this out to the model makers. Icon is using the old dies from the Franklin Mint Superbird Chassis, including the slotted wheels and Richard's exclusive three bar headrest. Beautiful cars otherwise and so happy to get them!  Another thing most people don't know. As fast and notorious as the Daytonas were, they only won six races in two NASCAR seasons before being saddled with a noncompetitive engine.

sl16002-vi.jpg

Marty Robbins #42 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger. Fastest Guitar picker in Nashville

sl16001-vi.jpg

Dave Marcis #30 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger. Reputation as the hardest driver to pass in NASCAR

I'm back and finally get to see what I've been winning on eBay for the past few months. Almost everything arrived undamaged. The 57 Ford was shipped in its foam package, but wasn't secure in the foam and broke the rear springs, the driver, seat and bent the passenger door hinge. I was able to fix those and clean them up. I missed that the 36 Ford was missing the passenger door handle. I don't have any replacements in my parts box, so I'll have to rob from a kit. I improvised a mirror spotlight for the 50 Chevy.  The Charger is not a diecast, but it was a built kit by AMT and I won it on eBay so I included it too. I didn't take a picture of the Daytonas, because they are secured in their foam boxes.

0616190717_edited-vi.jpg

56 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

I'm back and finally get to see what I've been winning on eBay for the past few months. Almost everything arrived undamaged. The 57 Ford was shipped in its foam package, but wasn't secure in the foam and broke the rear springs, the driver, seat and bent the passenger door hinge. I was able to fix those and clean them up. I missed that the 36 Ford was missing the passenger door handle. I don't have any replacements in my parts box, so I'll have to rob from a kit. I improvised a mirror spotlight for the 50 Chevy.  The Charger is not a diecast, but it was a built kit by AMT and I won it on eBay so I included it too. I didn't take a picture of the Daytonas, because they are secured in their foam boxes.

0616190717_edited-vi.jpg

Love the DB5 and the Vette! Would like to find those cheap (or at least reasonable) sometime. Ya done good! B)

11 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Thanks for sharing your recent finds.  All good looking stuff.

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Love the DB5 and the Vette! Would like to find those cheap (or at least reasonable) sometime. Ya done good! B)

Thanks! Most of them were on my wants to look out for. I'm trying to complete all the DM Budweisers for under $50 each. So far, so good. I have four to go. The 50 Chevy and Corvette were too cheap to pass on, but I really wanted the rest. Mainly it was dumb luck, a good search save on eBay, and really odd work hours which allowed me to hunt often for some buy-it-nows at ridiculously low prices and a couple of others ended at odd times with few bidders. I think I'm done bidding for DM and FM on eBay for awhile. It was a lot of fun. The UoR Dodge Daytonas will continue to be released, so those will be next diecasts.

Good luck searching for those DM Budweisers, Tim...... like you, I told myself I was taking a rest from looking on Ebay, but each time I typed in a random search on Ebay..... something came up, and the price was too good to miss. So many interesting scale model motor cars have appeared out of nowhere, and I just keep buying them. It must be an addiction !

David

• 2 weeks later...

It must be the hot weather which is driving this red convertible compulsion.  Went to W'mart this morning to buy a new back up drive for my computer files and just happened to walk by the diecasts. ;)

There on the shelf was a Motormax 1958 Chevrolet Impala red convertible for all of $9.99.  Already working on a red 1958 Cadillac convertible and thought this would be a good companion pierce.

The Chevy has some features that could be better like the hubcaps, taillights, and an antenna that doesn't look like a floor shifter, but for the price it is decent value.  It does have an almost recognizable  top half of a 348 engine and a continental kit to boot. 

20190630_170551.jpg.d97930f78246bda7906cfc68dc08ebca.jpg20190630_170639_002.jpg.0e8062f9d8d437d09621aaa31239935f.jpg20190630_170709_001.jpg.5e75d6a3e435f6bb5ce3e8603deec088.jpg

20190630_170618.jpg

15 hours ago, cobraman said:

Here’s a shocker ! I got another Cobra . 

Do you have the Johnny Lightning Daytona?   I saw it is being rereleased and thought of you immediately.  I assume it is a rerelease.  

Are there any reasonable 1/43 Daytonas?   I have several of the Eagle's Race Corvette grandsports, Roadsters and Coupes. A couple Daytonas would look good with them.